Severe Case of the Wobbles

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:14
ThreadID: 120393 Views:8952 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
OK Brains Trust, here's another one for you. That table! You know the one. Crappy, free standing lockable, removable pedestal type. Probably been used in vans since JC played Full Back for the Gallilee Rams. Breathe on one end and the other moves up 50mm at 15m/sec, catapulting the red up over your head to impact the ceiling above the bed 2.637m away, raining red dots all over the white Irish Damask. This presents a major problem when the nearset pub is 2 hours away. You can only lose so many litres this way until you decide Something Must Be Done! This WILL be solved. Looking at various solutions - welding extension on receiver tube to give longer support; replace entirely with ENGINEERED pedestal from boat supplier etc Want to know if this has been something anyone else has tackled, or does everyone just put up with it? Thanks in advance for the input Griff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:16

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:16
Hi Griff, Some owners found that to have a second table leg support put on helped the colliwobbles. You might need to consider moving "your" leg further down the table and putting another one at the other end. Should help. Angie
AnswerID: 561160

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:17

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:17
Hi, me again. If you look at this picture of Motleys table:http://groups.msn.com/bushtrackerownersgroup/motleyspics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=95 He might be able to tell you whether it works or not having a second leg. Angie
AnswerID: 561161

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:18

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:18
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.
AnswerID: 561162

Reply By: Motley - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:19

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:19
Having two pedestals supporting the table definitely works for us. Reasons? My position is on the short side of the "L" shaped couch, therefore maximum leverage at the extremity of the table. Those that know me would agree that I would never box in the Featherweight division Like Griff, I have an strong desire to avoid all risky situations where Red might be spilt Therefore, two pedestals. Works like a charm and have never experienced a sense of "clutter" under the table
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561163

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:20

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:20
I have been trying to solve this table problem also. Cant use two pedestals as we use two crates under table, one each side of pedestal for kids stuff. It keeps it handy and all in one place. We shift them out to all sit for dinner and move back when not all at table. Our table is free standing i.e. not against wall at one end. I've looked at bracing brackets etc but it seems the problem is that the gripping collar area is just too thin still allowing movement even though it is very tight. I'm looking to replace the whole pedestal with maybe a boat seat pedestal from "Reelax" or similar after I check them in the flesh. The other option might be a solid pedestal made from 75mm round aluminium with 5mm wall ... round plates welded to each end. As we dont have to lower table for sleep area this would be very solid but look a bit industrial compared to the rounded large base of the original. I know one thing I'm sick of the table moving and stuff spilling from cups !!!! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561164

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:21

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:21
One type of pole that I have used in our old van that i remodelled to suit 5 is the chrome pole that is inserted into a recessed socket in the floor an the other end is screwed to the underside of table the pole is then iserted into floor and the lower top onto it. Pole can be cat to suite table height required. The table size we had was 1.5m long by .5m it still moved a little but not much. It would support both twins in there clip on high chairs on one of the long sides so it was fairly strong. Trick is to make base plate secured as much as possible. I put additional flooring support under the floor. Not sure what make but it was from a caravan supplier down here in Tassie Rod
AnswerID: 561165

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:22

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:22
Caravan World has a story on Golf's Linwood caravan in its January 04 issue. A pic of the dining table shows what looks like a wider-than-normal table leg. Anybody seen one in the flesh?
AnswerID: 561166

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:23

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:23
Here is the Reelax one I'm looking at .....http://www.reelax.com.au/tablemounts.html The one leading the race [smile] is the second from left ... the non adjustable ally one. Comes in any length you specify from 350mm to 750mm. Cost is about $146 inc GST. Seems a quality product that can withstand the harsh marine environment. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561167

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:24

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:24
Griff, My memory's not that good but did use a carvan table with a scissor type of four legs that dropped down to chair height to use the bunks as a second double bed. Can't remmeber what van it was sorry. Macka
AnswerID: 561168

Our Sponsors