Alcohol Ban in Parts of Qld - Please Read

Submitted: Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:03
ThreadID: 120432 Views:3935 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all, By now everyone will have heard of the Qld Gov public servant stood down for carrying a bottle of wine in a Gov plane into an Indigenous Community. Be very careful here, these new laws are being enforced and people are being searched, vehicles and vans. There are 19 remote areas of Qld that have a ban. The laws apply to everyone white, black, yellow, blue whether they are permanent residents, visitors or travellers passing through. Areas include but are not limited to .... Lockhart River, Bamaga, Hope Vale, Kowanyama et al, see websites for full details. Restrictions may also apply to National Parks and fishing areas in these areas. You cant even pass through with it onboard to get to another area further on .... Penalties are severe .... websites as follows .... mcmc.qld.gov.au or liquor.qld.gov.au or freecall 1300 789 000 Probably doesnt affect most of normal travel in Qld for BT owners but is worth a look. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bogger John - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:05

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:05
Thanks for the info on areas in Qld where alcohol is banned. Does
anyone know what the situation is in NT and WA?

John
AnswerID: 561386

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:06

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:06
Well I guess this will knock out half the members of the Bushtracker group going to the Cape in 2005. Judging by the Cania Gorge party, some of them would never survive the imposed dry season. LOL. Angie
AnswerID: 561387

Reply By: Wadefarers - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:07

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:07
Anthony There was previous talk about NOT being able to take petrol engined vehicles into some areas, mainly indigeneous, because of the petrol sniffing problems. Can't remember if that was NT or QLD, or both. Do you know if that is still the case? If so, then I would presume that it would eliminate taking the BT in if it was carrying petrol for generator use. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 561388

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:08

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:08
Hi John, Restrictions do apply in NT and WA. I can tell you that you need to be very careful here in NT, pretty well all of Arnhemland is considered dry (ie no alcohol allowed). The only exception is Nhulunbuy (Gove) and even sections of that town have restrictions. Do NOT under any circumstances offer to buy an indigenous person a beer, in the NT that is a no no. You need to apply for a permit to travel in/across indigenous lands and they should be able to tell you the rules for specific places. Prue
AnswerID: 561389

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:09

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:09
Jeff, I looked around a bit and cant find any reference to the petrol issue ??? Some time ago I heard that the last petrol stop in SA before heading north into the sticks was taken some way back towards civilisation ..... tanks were removed because of petrol sniffing. Minor inconvenience to traveller was one result but major crime reduction in town was the other !!! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561390

Reply By: Wadefarers - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:10

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:10
Anthony Thanks. I'll have to do a bit more research. Maybe I saw it in a 4WD mag or maybe in the Toyota club mag. Will advise if I find it. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 561391

Our Sponsors