Installation of Prodigy

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:08
ThreadID: 120440 Views:9474 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, have been a bit busy to chat lately, getting the shed finished and the car ready for pick up next month. I am thinking of installing the prodigy myself and am wondering after reading the destructions if there is any pitfalls. This is going into my F250 and i am wondering what location others have used and also if the harness in the dash is there and can the plug be purchased from ford or somewhere else that will enable easy connection thru to the rear of the effie. All help would be greatfully recieved. ps. should i pay the $250 quoted by an installer(he was the cheapest) and forget doing it myself. Rod Betts
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bogged Mick - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:10

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:10
Rod, Have a look at the diy project on the Around Oz Avan site on installing a brake controller - see http://www.aroundoz.com/diy_archive/electric_brakes.htm I found it a very useful explanation and even though I didn't install the controller myself it did help to understand what was required. Mick
AnswerID: 561457

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:11

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:11
Rod, I looked at the factory manual wiring diagram and it shows a circuit for the trailer brakes for the Aussie Spec trucks. In the end though (read never found it on vehicle(thats not to say it aint there)) I ran separate wires. The factory wiring harness for the lights is a plug in affair but because of the amps used and the distance I thought it better to run separate anyway. This also gives the advantage that because you installed it you know where wires go and where circuit breaker is if any problems down the track. If you want to install it yourself I can do a few pics of location of unit, circuit breaker and wire route to rear no problem, connection to battery etc. I believe the Prodigys have had some issues with phantom applications probably from RF or ECU issues. I located mine bottom of dashboard just to the right of right leg drivers side which is away from most "stuff". Wiring the unit as a stand alone circuit should also help this .... As you know it not hard to do but a few principals of good wiring come into play ... like good protection from chaffing through firewalls/bulkheads .... an outer sheath covering wire all the way to rear, usually convoluted tubing in 10 or 12 mm .... zip clipping this to chassis in such a way to stop chaffing and stone damage. All joins and terminals should be crimped and covered with a good heatshrink not soldered because solder sets up a brittle area at the copper wire/solder intersection. In an off-road vehicle/van a soldered join can fail. I'm sure we can get ya through it .... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561458

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:12

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:12
Thanks for the reply Anthony, I would appreciate the photos as i think i will give it a go. thanks for your help in advance from your apprentice Rod
AnswerID: 561459

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:13

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:13
Rod et al, Having never seen a Prodigy up close I need a few things !! [smile] Either a wiring diagram or confirmation of the following .... Black wire = to battery with 30amp reset-ble circuit breaker White wire = to chassis or battery negative (minimum 4sqmm) Red Wire = to brake switch Blue wire = service brakes pin in female trailer connector (minimum 4sqmm but I'd use 6 sqmm. Any more wires on the Prodigy please list colour and where to .... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561460

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:14

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:14
Rob, I've taken a pic or two of the hardest part of the installation so if you think you are ok with the hard bit the rest is easy. I've now seen a wiring diagram of the Prodigy and it has the four wires as per most controllers. The first pic here is what has to be done and the second pic is where it has to be done. It is done to the red wire (brake signal wire) that is the red is joined to cold side of the brake light switch. Pretend the yellow wire is the cold side of the brake light switch (located on brake pedal shaft) and the purple wire is the "red" from Prodigy. The wire has to be "pared" into the other rather than cut and all joined together. Pare-ing is done by running a blade around the wire insulation to a depth just above wire then another further up ...then just wittle wire insulation til you can pull off the insulation. The wire to be joined is wrapped around and in this case soldering is ok (inboard cabin). Cover join with self-amalgamating tape and your're done. Second pic is where it has to be done in F250. It is awkward to say the least as it is up under the dash near the top of the brake pedal. You cant remove harness so it has to be done insitu. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561461

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:15

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:15
Rod, Sorry Rod ! (Put Rob previous post,[Smile]) On another planet .... I is .... Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561462

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:16

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:16
Anthony, Thanks for the pics I will be giving the installation a go hopefully this weekend or over the coming nights when the boys are all in bed. Have a few things to finish first with the Airbag in cab adj suspension, Have finally fixed leaks in rear roll bar so can now hook up compressior to this and mount the gauges in the dash, once completed i will takle the controller and trailer plug connection. Thanks Rod
AnswerID: 561463

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:17

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:17
Rod, My Prodigy controller is mounted in the rectangular hole just below and to the right of the radio. It sits almost level in that place, and is easy to see, and adjust when required. Mine was installed by Ford when I purchased the vehicle. Brian.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561464

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:18

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:18
Rod, This might also need to be thought about in the overall plan for the dash .... From Tekonsha ... Do not mount or activate RF generating items (cell phones, two way radios) near (less than 12") the brake control. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561465

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:19

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:19
Any ideas on how to un-install the non electric semi automatic brake controller?
You know, the one that sits on the left side seat.
"Put the brakes on"
"Slow down now"
"Not so heavy on the brake"
And many other pre programmed brake controlling phrases.
This semi automated brake controller usually goes off at the wrong time so maybe only an adjustment is required.

Smile
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561466

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:20

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:20
Rod, Just in case you get the urge on the weekend !! [wink] Here is a pic of where I take wires from inside effie to outside .... it is a plastic gland near the steering column just above the drivers side tappet cover. Your blue and black wire from controller (and possibly white) will need to come out here. This gland is easily accessed from cabin side and reasonably easy from engine side. 2nd pic is where I chose to mount a few circuit breakers and relays for spot lights and fog lights. One of these circuit breakers is for the brake controller giving an easy run to the battery with the black wire. Do yourself a favour and dont use black for the black once inside the engine bay as it is not good practice to place a black wire on the positive. If it is undone by anyone for any reason they might put it back on negative side. Obviously more dangerous if the other way but still not good practice. I get around this by changing the black wire to red 30cm out from the controller or if I dont want to cut and splice ........ I cover the first metre of wire from the battery + ive in red heatshrink covering the black. This bracket should be on yours and is near the brake booster and oil fill at the back of the engine bay. As you can see cover all wires in convoluted tubing. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561467

Our Sponsors