Playing with the big boys.

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:30
ThreadID: 120463 Views:3476 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
All right all you F250 owners, some how all this talk of trucks, big fuel tanks, installing brake controllers etc has finally brain washed me. I gave in to subconscious influences and have ordered an F250. Shortly my days are going to be taken up with sorting out a mass of wires trying to install Prodigy brake controller, UHF radio, driving lights, hands free phone etc, etc, etc. I have already been reviewing Anthony's pictures of his installations and am ready to hit the electrical shop in a big way, large rolls of heavy gauge wire, fuses, crimps etc. Any hints anyone has as to where to install everything will be appreciated. Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:32

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:32
Paul Welcome!! Look forward to seeing your F-250 at Copeton. What color and model? Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561629

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:33

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:33
Paul, Congratulations ... welcome to the "dark side" may the force be with you !!![smile] The very first thing is to not let some monkey splice into your tail-light wiring to supply power to the BT plug with scotch locks. It is not good practice to use any wires from here as they are protected by a fuse for about their capacity only and the BT has 14 clearance lights .....The F250 has a female socket already on the LH chassis near spare tyre. The spare parts section of the dealership will have the special plug and wires that just plug in at this socket and go to female trailer connector on/near towbar. Plug on chassis is grey and black and is 12 pin from memory. This plug/circuit is fused in the factory fuse box. Let me know if you need a pic. As you might have seen with the other thread there is a circuit for the brake power feed wire but I much prefer to wire the brake controller as stand alone .... it may just help with electical interference as well doing it this way. A good area I've used is under the back seat for mounting main units with the remote heads on the dash .... the UHF and HF ...fused power bus bars for them and the electronic rustproofing unit etc ..... what cab config did you get ? Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561630

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:34

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:34
Jay, I went for the Super Cab in silver. We don't need to have rear seats, however the folding one's in the Super Cab would be great for taking a few passengers down to the pub for a meal to have a break from cooking when travelling. Also, as we haven't ordered a canopy yet, will just have the tonneau cover for the time being, we can put the engel fridge in the cab behind the passengers seat and any other smaller items that might get taken from the tray. Anthony, Thanks, I will give the dealer a call first thing Monday to make sure that he is aware of the plug. The dealership seems to sell quite a few F250's so hopefully they do things right. Fused power bus bar, now that's something that I've been thinking about, any pictures? Paul
AnswerID: 561631

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:35

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:35
Paul we will have actual possession of our Effie hopefully on 2 Apr and will drive her to the caravan show on 3 Apr to meet TT5 and see their BT. If you want to see all that we did including the canopy, perhaps we can all meet at 10:00 at the BT exhibit. Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561632

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:36

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:36
Jay, No problem, we will certainly be there and look forward to meeting other Boggers. By the way, saw a Qld registered Bushtracker at Mentone the other day, by the time I turned around and followed them they had stopped at Southland shopping centre and gone inside, I waited outside for 20 minutes but they did not come out and I had to go. Paul.
AnswerID: 561633

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:37

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:37
To Paul
One problem with fitting the tonneau cover first and then going to a canopy such as Carryboy.
You will have a row of studs down each side of the tub, looks awful when the canopy is fitted.
With the "cotton reel" design studs the rivets pull the metal out of shape and removing them later is a major job.
Dent knocking all along the sides and tailgate plus a rear end respray.
I Know, I've done it.

Best regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561634

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:38

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:38
Anthony, I crawled around under the F250 at the dealers and could not find a spare plug for trailer wiring, the dealer didn't know about it either (no surprise), I even checked out a Cab/Chassis they had there which made it easier to look, the only one that had was a 4 pin which I feel may be for the rego plate lights. If possible, could you please send a picture Perhaps being a later model than yours it is slightly different. Any other Boggers out there with a recent F250 who know if the plug is still there? Paul
AnswerID: 561635

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:39

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:39
Evening Paul, I have placed two pics in my album ..... Bushtracker Stuff -n- About ...which is on page 3 of the albums and the pics are on page 2 of my album. Maybe Ford has deleted this but I doubt it ..... the harness your're after is .... Ford F Series Trailer Harness - Part No RM15A417A The factory female plug is located on the rear chassis crossmember on the left hand side near the spare wheel on a Crew Cab ... see pics. As the female plug comes "as on" chassis, it has a false male plug fitted to it to stop water/dirt entering ...you have to remove false male plug to plug in male plug of new harness. If I go past Ford dealer I'll nip in a have a peek at latest model .... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561636

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:40

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:40
Anthony, Thanks for the pictures, now I can go back to the dealer armed with the photo's. Paul.
AnswerID: 561637

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:41

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:41
Anthony, At least the person who did the wiring was aware of the plug on the F250, even if they did install a flat connector instead of a round one. If anybody is interested in seeing the new tow vehicle I have placed some pictures in the " Paul and Barb's album" on page 2 of the photo pages. Paul.
AnswerID: 561638

Our Sponsors