Tires

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:50
ThreadID: 120479 Views:4023 Replies:12 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Our new BT was built with a six-stud arangement for, possibly a LandCruiser. We are going to investigate the cost of replacing the six tires and the other necesasry items so that the BT and F-250 tires are interchangeable. The four tires on the BT have less than 5,000km, and the two spares haven't been used. Anyone interested in tires or the other bits for spares, please advise. Anyone in the greater Nambour area that can advise of a good shop to do the mechanical work and replace the tires, please advise details. Thanks, tgintl/jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:52
Jay, The tyres are in perfect condition and exactly the same size as those on the F250, the only difference being that their load rating is NOT as high as is required for the F250. I think all the other F250 owners are in the same boat, and none of us would hesitate to put a van tyre on the F250 if it meant getting mobile again, and being able to get to a town where the F250 tyres could be repaired or replaced. I thought that you were having 2 spares on the F250 anyway, so 2 spares for F250 and Van all be it different stud patterns should not be a problem. If you do decide to change the wheels over to F250, in view of everything else that has been happening, it may well pay to contact Simplicity in Melbourne's northern suburbs and see if you can do a deal with them direct. When the old hubs come off they have to fit new bearings etc to the F250 hub and that cost me about $1000 to have changed over. The steel rims for F250 cost about $130 each and the Alloys over $700, but Eagle Motor Wreckers on South Gippsland Hwy, Dandenong import the Ford F250 alloys for about $400 each, Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561730

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:53

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:53
Jay, Dont quote me on this but I think there is a Simplicity dealer/agent in Bundaberg. Might be worth an email to find out ..... then a visit to have the hubs changed over ??? Only 5 hrs drive from Bris and there are quite a few things to do in Bundy while work is done. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561731

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:54

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:54
Jay, Just found it ... Simplicity Suspension Systems 1 Bragg St Bundaberg PH 07 4151 6506 Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561732

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:55

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:55
Brian, if I understand correctly, you are saying that if I am going to change anything, change the rims and the Simplicity stuff and use the same tires.Correct? One of the Boggers contacted me about buying the wheels and tires as a package for his 6 stud vehicle. If starting from scratch, what tire would anyone recommend since all I would have are the six 5 stud wheels from Ford. Thanks, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561733

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:56

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:56
We have the earlier model F250 with 7.3lt T/D, and they all have 8 studs and require nuts with washers attached. I was not aware that Ford had changed to 5 stud wheels on the new F250's with 6lt T/D. If you want to change to wheels that will fit your new F250 and have tyres that are legal on your F250, then you will have to check the Tyre placard which should be on the drivers door, and that will give you the minimum load and speed rating that the tyres have to be. For my F250 the tyres on your van would not be legal. Depending on what rating Ford have put on the new F250 tyres, If you don't mind having tyres that will NOT be legal on the F250 but will be quite capable of doing the job in an emergency then I would be keeping the tyres and just putting them on the new rims. Ford may have lowered the rating required. You will just have to check. Before doing anything though, you will need to assertain the availability of 6 rims to suit the new F250. When the 8 stud F250's came into the country rims to suit were hard to come by. I know that the wheels on the new van are 6 stud, but I am not aware of what vehicle they are suited to. When you find out the previous owners surname, you should be able to get the specs from Paul at BTi. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561734

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:57

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:57
Guys, guys ! ..... before you get a good rumour started ..... The new 6.9l motor in the F-Series in the USA is not slated for fitment to AUS spec F-Series for some time, if ever. There are a few teething problems with the engine in the US which are being addressed. The 7.3l engine is in the newly released model year here ...it comes with a few minor changes (cd player etc) but all panels are the same. I know someone taking delivery in August and it is a 7.3l. And as for the 5 stud theory .... Sigh !!! Jay ... next time you are talking to your F250 fitout man .... ask him to count the wheel nuts on your effie .... if counting wheel nuts were toes ... it will require the removal of one and three fifth shoes !!! [wink] The effie wheel studs and nuts require some care. Tightening a steel wheel nut integral washer against an alloy wheel to over 200Nm is serious business. The spec for a single wheel effie running metric 14mm studs is 210Nm if the wheel is off the ground ..ie jacked up and 224 Nm if loaded. The tightening sequence for the 8 studs is in the owners manual and because of the forces applied must be adhered to .... it is based on the 4 opposite first and then adjoining 4 .... so is like a clock face with the sequence being .... 12, 6, 3, 9, 4.30, 11.30, 1.30, 6.30. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561735

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:58

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:58
Tony, I have never counted the studs on the Effie wheels and my refit contractor was never asked about the number of studs on an F-250, only the studs at the local - oops! Things are getting better! Tony my poor memory is that YOU said that the 6-studded BT wheels wouldn't match the 5 studed F-250; now YOU are saying 8 studs. Wow, the more the merrier . At least my memory thinks the more the merrier . Anyway, we are back to square one: The F250 and the BT do not match and the F250 is more studlier not less studlier. Thanks for telling me that I have more studs than I know what to do with, and how to make sure I have tight studs all in the proper order . tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561736

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:59

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:59
In my opinion the BOGGER forum can never have too many studs but I guess it has been a problem in this case. (Jackie had better explain that one to Jay) Angie
AnswerID: 561737

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:00

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:00
Jay wrote, <J> Tony my poor memory is that YOU said that the 6-studded BT wheels wouldn't match the 5 studed F-250; now YOU are saying 8 studs. <J> Jay, Are you serious ? You have read some of my posts regarding F-250's. You have seen in the flesh my progress so far on my restoration work on my '72 Stingray. I can quote really obscure facts about F250's like the TCIL light engages at 132 degrees Celsius (trans temp) off the top of my head. Never mind the fact that I actually have one in the garage ...two years now ... had wheels off and on at least 5 times now. By the way the tightening pattern was outta my head I thought I better check it in the manual after I posted it ..... wadda ya know Ford like it !! I stripped my first motor cycle engine when I was 11 and rebuilt my first car engine before 15. But "I" told you 5 stud NOW I'm saying 8 .........you are mistaken but you have the right to believe what you think you heard .... which will have you and I at a crossroads quick smart. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561738

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:01

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:01
Anthony, I have no problem being mistaken! Acknowledged!! You said eight and I heard five. I do not know why I heard five when you pointed out that the stud pattern was different and said eight. What is important is that my misconception has been corrected and the F250 has eight and the BT has 6; 14 studs in total - Angie must be very happy! tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561739

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:02

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:02
So, what's the Collective Noun for 14 Studs? A Brace of Studs? A Wrench of Studs? A Capful of Studs? (I forgot, we don't have hub caps anymore - strike that last one.) A Skinned Knuckle of Studs? ...... There must be some higher F-250 term for this. Anxiously awaiting enlightenment Griff
AnswerID: 561740

Reply By: Wadefarers - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:03

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:03
Griff Wouldn't that be a "bogger" of studs. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 561741

Our Sponsors