rear window protection

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:40
ThreadID: 120481 Views:3571 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all, Having an obsession with the BOG photos of everyone's new vans keeps me going as we wait im-patiently for mid June to arrive, it seems light years away at the moment!! Am wondering if anyone has had a rear window protector (as at front)added? Seems to me to make sense in order to keep ever present dust out of the van. Are there reasons this would not work? Also if we want the flash toilet roll holder, do we order through Whitworths Marine and get it delivered to BT or just let the guys at BT know and they do it all? Love the idea of having seat back cushions attached with velcro rather than permanent as it would also give those of us who tend to get small guests (grandchildren) a slightly larger and longer spare bed area. Amazing how you think you have thought of everything and then you read the messages on this forum and have to ring/email BT with more changes!!! Prue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:42

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:42
Hi Flower Child Can't comment on rear window protection; however Toilet roll holder comes from Whitworth's - you get it - BTi installs it. Use of velcro to attach the cushions depends upon the weight of the cushions. I was told by the fellow that does the work for BTi that our cushions with the high grade leather would have been too heavy for velcro. If you have ordered material should not be a problem. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561757

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:43

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:43
G'day Prue, The rear of the BT does get heaps of dust but I've never heard of it going inside the BT ? Two areas present a problem, the extruded track the window pivots in gets so clogged with dust that the winder can be stressed trying to open it. The hot water system if on the rear gets its share of dust in also and should be reasonably cleared before use. The track in the window frame can be cleared by tyre compressor by giving it a blast .... or a clean with a hose. I like Bob's idea of when on dirt for extended k's he puts duct tape over the track ... placed carefully you might still be able to open window. Not such a problem without kids on board but having two windows at rear on mine for bunks the kids just open them at will. The hot water system is very water proof in its workings ..to clear I just use the outside shower head to wash away heavy dust. I have thought of making a cover that seals it ...like a sealed chequerplate box but you would have to open box every time to fire up hot water. I figured that would just be another thing to do and just wash dust away especially as my dirt road travel is limited. If on dirt for months I'd have some type of cover if system was on rear. Conrad's BT at Cania had a fabricated cover over the hot water system and was very effective. I'm not sure if his new BT has it it probably would. The front window cover does not stop dust as it is mounted slightly out from the window itself .... it is really designed to stop rocks smashing/cracking window. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561758

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:44

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:44
Prue, As Anthony said, the dust only causes a problem with the top hinged section of the window filling up with dust and then moisture causes it to solidify and can damage window winding if forced. We fixed this by placing a a strip of good qualitity Black tape over the join. It keeps the dust and moisture out and is barely visible, so it just stays there all the time. BTi told me that all windows should have this hinge section cleaned regularly with a high pressure hose. Next month I will be having a wind deflector installed across the back of van to blow all the dust away from the rear, but as you know from living in the Territory, that red dust always finds a way to get in somewhere. Although having said that we find that our BT is extremely dust proof, and very little finds its way in while travelling. More gets in via open windows while camped. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561759

Our Sponsors