Kimberley & Pilbra areas. Any info on good places to go

Submitted: Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:30
ThreadID: 120487 Views:3754 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I will be going over to the Kimberleys and Pilbara areas for June and July with another Bushtracker Caravan. I was after any information from owners of off road vans that have toured these areas on where are good places to go and where we can tow the van into. I plan to leave van at Turkey Creek and tent into Bungle Bungles as well as do a flight over them. A friend towed his Bushtracker to Kalumburu, but said it was a long rough road and not a great deal there, so not really worth the trip. In The Kimberleys I plan to visit Lake Argyle, and then do the Gibb River Road, down to Winjana Gorge, then down to Northern Highway to Fitzroy Crossing, for Geikie Gorge, then up to Derby via Hwy, and do the flight to Horizontal Water Fall. When we get to Broome I thought we would go Cape Leveque. As for the Pilbra, I have never been in there, so apart from going into Millstream Chichester NP and Karijini NP, I don't know what is there. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:32

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:32
On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 04:30 PM, NoosaBushtrackers wrote:

<excerpt><smaller> /* Foreground colors */ ThmFgColumnHeader,
A.FrameLink, A.HeaderLink, A.FooterLink, A.LgtCmd, A.MSNLink
{color:#FFFFFF;} ThmFgTitleLightBk {color:#FF6600;} ThmFgSmallLight
{color:#ff0000;} ThmFgNavLink, A.NavLink, A.ChildLink:hover
{color:#666699;} ThmFgInactiveText, A.SystemLink {color: #666666;}
ThmFgFrameTitle {color: #FFFFCC;} ThmFgTitleDarkBk, A.NavLink:hover,
A.TitleLink {color: #CC6600;} ThmFgMiscText, A.Cat, A.SubCat {color:
#336699;} ThmFgCommand, A.Command, A.LargeCommand, A.MsgLink {color:
#003366;} ThmFgHeader {color: #333333;} ThmFgStandard,
A.SystemLink:hover, A.SubLink, A.ChildLink, A.StdLink, SELECT.Standard
{color: #000000;} ThmFgDivider {color: #CCCCCC;} /* primarily for HR
tags */ /* Background colors */ ThmBgStandard {background-color:
#FFFFFF;} ThmBgUnknown1 {background-color: #FF6600;} ThmBgFraming
{background-color: #666699;} ThmBgUnknown2 {background-color:
#666666;} ThmBgHighlightDark {background-color: #FFFFCC;}
ThmBgHighlightLight, #idToolbar, #tbContents {background-color:
#FFFFE8;} ThmBgTitleDarkBk {background-color: #F1F1F1;} ThmBgAlternate
{background-color: #ECF1F6;} ThmBgUnknown3 {background-color:
#CCCCFF;} ThmBgDivider {background-color: #CCCCCC;} ThmBgHeader
{background-color: #9999CC;} ThmBgLinks {background-color: #8696C9;}
ThmBgSharkBar {background-color: #8696C9;} ThmBgGlobalNick
{background-color: #9394A9;} /* Calendar styles */ calfgndcolor
{color:#E00505;} calbgndcolor {color:#E00505;} BODY
{background:#ffffff;}

</smaller></excerpt><smaller> </smaller>

<excerpt><smaller>

<bold><underline><fontfamily><param>Arial</param><color><param>1999,1999,FFFF</param>Kimberley
& Pilbra areas. Any info on good places to go

</color></fontfamily></underline></bold></smaller></excerpt><bold><fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller> </smaller></fontfamily></bold>

<excerpt><smaller>

<underline><color><param>0000,6666,0000</param>View other groups in
this category.

Brian , we took our BT into Bungle Bungles (with permission from
C.A.L.M. at Kununurra), the trip in took no longer than people not
towing and we had no problems, but ours is only a 16' towed by a
Rangie 2.5 Tdi, if you are an Effie + 22' you may have problems with
one of the creek crossings.

</color></underline></smaller></excerpt><underline><color><param>0000,6666,0000</param><smaller>Regarding
Cape Leveque, we were advised to leave our van at Broome but were very
disapointed that we took this advice as it is quite an easy tow track,
narrow in places but the park had some 2wd + on road vans when we
arrived, it is a great chill out spot that deserves a couple of days,
check out the 2 churches on the way.

regards, Daryl Phantom 42111

</smaller></color></underline><smaller>

</smaller>

<excerpt><smaller>

</smaller></excerpt><smaller> </smaller>

<excerpt><smaller>

</smaller></excerpt>
AnswerID: 561774

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:33

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:33
Daryl, All of those codes appeared because you probably posted directly from your word document. If you are writing in word, you need to copy and paste into notebook to remove the codes and then copy and paste into the site. Alternatively, write in notebook and you eliminate the code problem. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561775

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:34

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:34
Hi Brian We visited all the areas in the Kimberly u mentioned. Havnt been to the Pilbara , plan to go next year. re the Kimberley. As u know dirt road conditions can chage depending on weather conditions and maintenace schedules. The GRR is a great road but it can be hard on vehicles particularly shock absorbers. Take spares. A few places to visit. Hidden valey at Kununurra. This is a miniture Bungles and right in town. Kununurra to Wyndham. take the Parry Creek Road. You can find some excellent camps along here, right on the Ord River if u want but there are LARGE crocs here. From Wyndhan visit the prison tree. Its huge. You can camp here as well. From the tree you can follow the King River ( 4 wheel drive )Road to the GRR. This is a great scenic drive. Its a bit twisty and rough in spots. My wife drove this section and we didnt have to use 4WD so i think u should be OK. I dont tow these days but we used to have a Supreme Getaway and i would not hesitate to drive along the track. As i'm sure u know the GRR is litered with gorges. We looked at them all as you must but they tend to become a bit of a blurr after a while. without doubt the best of them all is Mitchell Falls. They are located off the Kalumburu Road. When we were there in July 03 the Kalumburu Rd was bad but the Mitchell Falls Rd was a nightmare. It was so badly corugated that it was an unpleasant and stresful drive. You can leave your van at Drysdale River Homestead and procede solo. Or if the Kalumburu road is in good condition u can leave the van at King Edward River campsite. A great spot to camp.There were a few vans left at Drysdale including a BT when we were there. You will love Windjana gorge. Full of fresh water crocks. I didnt think they grew that big. If u dont mind wading in waist deep water in the dark then Tunnel creek is fun too. The Bungles are fantastic. You can bush camp at Spring Creek which is virtualy at the park entrance gate. It a popular spot so it should be safe to leave the van there. Wew headed for Cape Leveque but found our very own absolute beach front camp at Quandong Point and stayed here. We watched whales playing in the ocean from our bedroom window and enjoyed solitary walks along kilometers of empty beaches. The road in was a bit sandy but there were vans there. The Kimberley, a great place to get your BT dirty Vidas
AnswerID: 561776

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:35

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:35
Hi Brian, I have to agree with Vidas, all the places he mentioned are brilliant but can get a bit busy in the Dry Season unless you are early or late (preferably later). That way you miss the main crowds. We actually became gorged out by the time we got to the Pilbara region. Definitely go to Kalumbaru and stay on the beachfront, the fishing is great but it's true there is not much else to do there and road can be rough. Mitchell Falls is definitely worth a visit and a fly over in a chopper and Cape Leveque area is very restful. On your way south call in to Coral Bay, if you are behind the masses it is a lovely spot to rest and recoup. Prue
AnswerID: 561777

Reply By: Suncoasters - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:36

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:36
Brian,

I would have to agree with all the other members has said there are some beautiful places right thru this region. I can also recommend the trip into Karijini NP there are several good camping areas throughout the park which the BT should have no problem with. You may also make it into the Bungles the when I was there the track in was fairly rough. It took nearly three hours to travel the 75 kms into the ranger station and from memory four creek crossings only one of which could be a problem. Conditions vary from year to year so I suggest you check at Turkey Creek before hand. If you decide to stay in a park in Kununurra I can really recommend the Hidden Valley caravan park it is just outside the Hidden Valley national park. It is a short distance from town so is a bit quieter and has a lot less mossies.

Enjoy your trip

David
AnswerID: 561778

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:37

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:37
Hi Brian We actually live in the Pilbara region (Karratha) and have explored many of the wonderful places in the Kimberley and Pilbara regions. You will love both areas although they are starkly different environments. We would be more than happy to forward some information (locality information, maps, trek notes, pics, etc.) that may help you in trip planning if you would like. You are also more than welcome in stop in for a chat and a drink if you get to Karratha. If you would like me to send you any information on either area give us a call on our mobile (0407 427 819) or drop us an e-mail. Regards George & Lesley
AnswerID: 561779

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:38

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:38
Thanks for the replies so far. They are very helpful. George & Lesley, your e-mail address is not in your profile. Could you send me an e-mail on bmfox@tpg.com.au so that I can return one to you. Brian

AnswerID: 561780

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:39

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:39
When we did the Gibb River Road back in 1983 with a Troopy and standard 6 x 4 trailer, there was Fuel available in 200lt drums at Mt Barnett Station. Can anyone tell me if this is still the case and are there any other stations that supply fuel. It is a fair way up to Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu if no fuel is available. Brian

AnswerID: 561781

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:40

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:40
Regarding the GRR, El Questro Station is fantastic- thermal springs, gorges etc. They have a vast range of accomodation types, but we booked a private camp site along the river. It was huge and would easily fit 2 BT's with room to spare. No power or water. There are toilet and shower facilites in the main camp ground for your use if desired. We also went to Cape Leveque. The road is mainly sand, soft edges so slow going. I would think a Bt would easily make it. They have a shady campground (smallish so book ahead in Broome or earlier) on top of the hill with power/water/loos etc. We vowed that next time we would book one of the beach thatched huts, open on one side facing the beach. Water temp about 30*c at least! Have been dreaming about getting back there since our first visit in 1997! A definate destination for our "Big trip" in 2007. Regards TT5
AnswerID: 561782

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:41

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:41
Hi Brian, We travelled the GRR about three years ago with friends with camper trailers. We stayed a couple of nights at El Questro Station camping ground and store before travelling on to Mt Barnett. Mt Barnett Road House has fuel and a store. Camping was available nearby at the entrance to the Gorge but we stayed at a little spot just before the concrete ford over the river a couple of ks to the east. There a side track into the grass on the right just before the road starts to drop to the crossing. Might be a bit tight for a van though but worth a look. I heard that Manning Gorge was closed due to flooding some time ago but it may be open again now. Drysdale Station has a camping ground, showers, store, minor mechanical repairs and welding plus a restaurant and bar. Great spot to relax after the days drive back from Mitchell Falls. Miners pool is also nearby but has limited facilities. We stayed two nights at Mitchell Falls. Have a look around Edward River for aboriginal burial sites in the rocky outcrops. I can't remember if fuel was available at Imintji near Bell's Gorge but there is a store next to the aboriginal settlement and minor mechanical repairs and welding are available when the mechanic is at home. Bell's Gorge is a must see, as is Mitchell Falls. Morning light is best. Regards, Keep on Tinkering, Peter
AnswerID: 561783

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:42

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:42
Brian We have sent an email to the address in your thread. If you don't receive it please give us a ring on 0407 427 819 (mobile). Regards George & Lesley
AnswerID: 561784

Our Sponsors