Members - Feedback on Merchandise and Web Site required

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:41
ThreadID: 120494 Views:4509 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Some time ago I asked if anyone was interested in getting merchandise with the Bushtracker Logo on it. Suggestions included Polar Fleece jackets and Vest, Caps, Hats, Stubby Holders, Polo style T shirts and Embroidered badges which could be sewn on other garments and gear. The response was quite positive and I have been following up on prices and availability. If we can get an order together then, as I mentioned in the earlier posting, I am happy to coordinate and arrange shipment against firm order. While all this has been going on, the managers have also been discussing the potential of setting up a web site for the Bushtracker Owners Group which would give us a bit more control over tailoring it to meet our needs and also provide some much needed extras, not the least of which would be a search facility so that members could search through past messages and postings to chase up a particular topic. A site that offers such facilities is www.exploroz.com. I am sure many of you are familiar with it. If not, have a look and check out the search functions and the additional areas for track notes and other topics. Such a site would also get rid of junk advertising which is constant on Yahoo and MSN Groups but at the same time, provide us with an opportunity to provide advertising space to Group Sponsors. We have had some initial discussions with David Martin the Technical Director of IT Beyond, who manages this site. David is able to set up and maintain a similar site for the Bushtracker Owners Group. Obviously, this comes at a cost. There is an initial set up cost and then an ongoing maintenance fee. The managers have considered that either an annual membership fee could manage these costs, and/or a premium on the cost of merchandise that would cover the site costs. The production cost of merchandise is quite reasonable so a premium would not make these costs excessive. Whilst we have some indicative pricing we have not done any firm specification. The initial setup cost could be around $3000 to $4000 depending upon how much we want to customise the site and how much of the message archive we want to bring across from the current forum. Annual costs for management and maintenance are likely to be around $1,000. Remember that this is to have the site professionally managed and hosted so that it is always backed up, supported 24hours a day, 7 days a week etc and is hosted at a location which gives fast response times. Both these issues are raised in the one post because the decision on whether we stay as an MSN Group or move to our own site has a bearing on the production of the merchandise, because we want to make sure the logo carries the right web address. So we need for feedback from the existing members. Firsly, on the subject of the wb site. Do members think there is value in moving to our own site with extra facilities and total control over the content of the site? Secondly on the merchandise. I have posted some photos of proposed merchandise under a heading “Merchandise Photos. The table below shows the merchandise we a re proposing and an indicative price (does not include Shipping), subject to confirmation when we have final numbers. These are the items which we are considering offering Stubby Deluxe Neoprene Stubby Holder, printed 1 colour exactly the same logo as last time. $5
Caps Baseball caps embroidered exactly 2 position the same as last time. $8
Hats Bucket Hats, embroidered exactly the same as last time $8
Vests Polar Fleece Vests embroidered in 1 position, folded and bagged (available in Navy, Black, Red, Orange, Royal, Yellow $23
Jacket Polar Fleece Jackets embroidered in 1 position, folded and bagged (available in Navy and Black only) $28
Pullover Polar Fleece ½ Zip Pullover embroidered in 1 position, folded and bagged (available in Navy, Bottle, Red, Royal and Black) $25
Polo Polo Shirts in Poly Cotton for hard wearing/easy care, Solid body colour with contrast stripe in collar, cuffs and placket, embroidered in 1 position, folded and bagged. Available in 12 combinations of colours. $21
Badges Embroidered Badges, with over locked edges ready to be sewn on to garments $8 The logo to be used is:
You will notice that there is a new link on the left hand side called Feedback on Merchandise and Website. There are a series of heading related to the various items of merchandise and also questions related to the website. If you can provide the likely numbers under the merchandise headings and “Y” or “N” answers to the questions related to the website, that will help us to work out next steps. The sooner you get your responses in, the sooner we make decisions. This is early days; so if you have any other feedback, comments or suggestions, please respond on this thread. Thanks
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:48

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:48
We are prepared to contribute to the cost of setting up a web site, but I think people need to realise that although there might be over 270 members of the present BOG group, a large number of those have joined for interest sake and have no intention of ever owning a Bushtracker. Out of the 270 I think that we are probably looking at about 50 who would be prepared to put up money towards a site. Even a lot of members with Bushtrackers who are on our members list do not participate on the forum very often for a number of reasons, not the least of which is because they are out there enjoying their vans. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 561819

Reply By: TripnTaps - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:49

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:49
Hello Pete & fellow managers & members of BOGGERS, Having been a member of a couple of car clubs and taking on board what Brian said about the probability of approx 50 present members of the BOG site accepting paid membership, we think that an initial join up fee... say $50- would be appropriate and a nominal annual fee in the vicinity of $20 per annum coupled with a premium on merchandise would cover the cost of set up and on going maintenance of the web site. If you were to set a fee of $50 pa for say 50 members/familys that would be $2,500 pa and well in excess of what you need for maintenance, therefore the suggestion for reduction of the annual fee for renewal of membership As with all clubs an annual report would be necessary ect. which places demands on those keeping the accounts - transparency being paramount with regard handling monies. This in intself would require time and someones valuable time is worth some payment..... Perhaps this is something that could be worked through at the Copeton rally.etc... Agree the website with search facility would be beneficial, particularly to those sourcing info when planning their 'custom' BT Thanks for this opportunity to air an opinion, Helen & John
AnswerID: 561820

Reply By: Cracker - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:50

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:50
Are we talking about the same thing - I assumed that it was desirable to have a better email connection with BOGGERS - who could provide a more user friendly service, such as yahoo. Required mainly I believe to alleviate alot of repetition - which is due to people ( I'm guilty of it) posting questions which have been dealt with ( and usually in depth ), and to make the accessing of these copious amounts of info more practicle I question wether it's necessary to go to the extent of our own website - that's a big leap from better email > to bogger website ? Cracker
AnswerID: 561821

Reply By: Motley - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:51

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:51
I've brought this thread back to the top, to ensure that those who haven't responded yet have a chance to read the message. The response to date is still short of minimum quantities necessary to fix the pricing that has been quoted. Please refer this message to those who might be interested but who haven't yet responded. Ideally we will be seeking to firm up orders - quantities, prices, sizes etc in order to have the gear available before the rally in September. Early responses appreciated
Motley

AnswerID: 561822

Reply By: Wadefarers - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:52

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:52
Pete Was there eventually enough responses to make this worthwhile? I'm sure other Boggers would be as keen as I am to sport OUR gear, especiallty at the rally. This is NOT meant to apply any pressure but is just a friendly enquiry. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 561823

Reply By: Motley - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:53

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:53
Jeff, Your timing is, almost, impeccable! As you know, there has been some discussion about setting up our own website so that we can include extra features such a searching, and have a capability to include additional forum areas with commentary form Bushtracker and other component supplies – Sound in Motion, Webasto, Vehicle Components etc. The idea is to have a forum, which can be tailored to BOGGER requirements, something that is difficult to achieve in the MSN environment. Well, things have moved. There were many steps and at last the ducks are lined up. David Martin, Director and Founder of IT beyond is currently developing a site for us along the lines of www.exploroz.com the site he established
We have registered an Incorporated Association – Bushtracker Owners Group Inc. This will allow us to collect sponsorship money, membership fees and to operate commercially with all members having a vote in election of office bearers. It also provides an entity in which all transactions are transparent and the books are open to all members.
We have registered a web domain name – www.bushtrackerownersgroup.asn.au
A web hosting company called WebCentral will manage this web site. This will ensure availability and access to the site is maintained with minimum downtime. It also ensures that the site and the valuable content in the forums is backed up so nothing is lost. There is still a bit to be done and there will be more updates as things progress. We wanted to at least get the ball rolling before making announcements. How does this all relate to your question? We wanted to make the decision to proceed and to establish the domain name prior to ordering any merchandise. That way, merchandise could include the address of the new web site As late as yesterday, I was in contact with the merchandise supplier we have dealt with previously to confirm prices based upon the levels of interest we received. I have asked for prices, colours and sizes where applicable, for the following: Baseball Caps
Bucket hats
Embroidered cloth badges
Caravan/vehicle stickers
Polarfleece jackets
Polarfleece vests
Polarfleece pullovers
Polo style shirts
Stubby holders All items would include our logo and web address We have an order form all set to go and as soon as the pricing info is received, this form will be loaded on the current site and also emailed to all forum members We expect that all merchandise will be available for delivery or collection at the Rally at Copeton Sorry for the delays. Hope this is the answer you were looking for. We’ll keep you posted Pete
Motley

AnswerID: 561824

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:54

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:54
As a frequent "lurker" on the explore-oz site, i have appreciated the search facilities on the forum, and this alone would be an advantage on the bogger site. Not interested in the type of merchandise mentioned, but would be happy to pay a small membership fee to keep a good site running.
AnswerID: 561825

Reply By: Wadefarers - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:55

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:55
Pete Thanks for the detailed reply. Not worried at all about "delay' (don't think there has been one really). All in all, I think you guys organising the web site and the merchandise have done a fabulous job and the members of the group are the ones that will benefit. As I couldn't go to the rally last year, I am looking forward to this year's, to meet other Boggers and to thank you guys personally for the work you have done. A beer and/or a red or two would definately be in order. Thanks again and regards Jeff
AnswerID: 561826

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:56

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:56
Pete, I also would like to take this opportunity to thank all concerned involved in setting up the Bogger website and merchandise. Such actions take a lot of time and effort and I feel sure it will be appreciated by all Boggers. The site at Copeton with Boggers in their gear should be some site. Looking forward to the time when we will be able to attaend rallies, might be a couple a years yet though. Have to get the 12 month around-the-block trip out of the way first, hopefully starting late next year. Rick & Leone Maverick2567
AnswerID: 561827

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:57

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:57
Pete, et al, Looks like good stuff to me........congratulations for your efforts. I would be interested in hat, stickers, vest, shirt and stubby holder. see you at Copeton...................ROB
AnswerID: 561828

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:58

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:58
Pete,
We too congratulte all concerned in organising the web site and for the work in promoting the merchandise. We would agree to a charge for membership and may be interested in some of the merchandise.
AnswerID: 561829

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:59

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:59
Hi Yes I am alive and well! Is there a projected date for the opening of the new website? Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561830

Reply By: Motley - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:00

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:00
Jay, 35 years in the Information Technology taught me a couple of things; projects always take longer than tyhe initial estimate and notto promise what can't be delivered. We EXPECT the site will be operational before Copeton. Having said that the latest upate is that things are progressing well and some content will be available for managers to review by end of July Will keep members up to date Pete
Motley

AnswerID: 561831

Reply By: eff trucker - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:01

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:01
Great work Pete and all involved in getting a dedicated BOG site up and going. I am certainly in favour of a nominal fee to keep things moving along and of course some merchandise will nicely compliment the new BT home we will pick up in October. Looking forward to further developments Cheers Pete (yep another one) Efftrucker BT=Built Tough
AnswerID: 561832

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:02

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:02
Pete, Thank you for doing this. I was wondering how I was going to afford it but I now have a job so all going well I should be able to. Regards Macka
AnswerID: 561833

Our Sponsors