Nice Van

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:36
ThreadID: 120531 Views:9012 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Visited the Sydney Show today, but were especially captured by the 20' van destined for delivery to some lucky people at Sylvania. Really love the "Williams" plan layout, colours and selection of fittings. We are planning to upgrade from our 18'6" in about 12 months time, and this one was very close to what we have in mind. So, whoever you are.... very nice. Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:44

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:44
Congratulations HappyNina2 on ordering your Bushtracker. I am sure you will enjoy it when you pick it up, and in the mean time probably make a few changes to your planned layout. If you could send me an e-mail with your e-mail address I will send you back details of what the headings are for our members list which every one has, so that you will be able to contact other Bushtracker Owners in your area. My em-mail is bmfox@tpg.com.au Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561987

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:45

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:45
Thanks Lorraine,
I will do that... I really appreciate you taking time to reply to me. I am
having real difficulties in trying to decide on a layout.
It's so hard being so far away (Melbourne) to visualise what is able to be
included.
I know that BT are there to give a helping hand and I'm sure we will be able
to come to a decision soon,but just now I am finding it hard to work a
layout that I would like.
Thanks again. I will see if Wayne might be able to send ,so we can get
another perspective.
What was it that you liked about the layout?

Kind regards,
Evles

Evan & Lesley

AnswerID: 561988

Reply By: Dusky - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:46

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:46
Finally, after about 2 years of investigation and planning we also placed an order for a 20' BT at the Sydney Caravan show. We are going with pretty much the standard van layout with island bed, 3 SP, 3 batts and 4 H2O. BT delivery is scheduled for Jun 05. I must express my appreciation for the assistance and advice provided from the BT web site and in particular Brian and Angie. Brian, you may wish to update the database with my details. The next issue is organising a tow vehicle. Dusky
AnswerID: 561989

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:47

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:47
Dusky, Did you opt for the delivery of June 05 or is this what BTi told you. This is important to our plans for next year.Thanks for your info. Lorraine
AnswerID: 561990

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:48

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:48
Evan and Lesley, I tried to email you (and Lorraine) our 20 foot layout to help the thinking process along. It came back as too big to fit in your box as it was either full or I had to remove the attachments. I will put a copy in the layout document folder here on the forum. Not a Cassidy by any chance are you? Angie
AnswerID: 561991

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:49

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:49
Evan and Lesley Our layout ended up in the layouts folder in the photos section not in the documents section. Just ask away if you want any more information. More than happy to help. You should try organising a BT from London UK! Thankfully this forum is happy to provide lots of help, assistance and advice. Even take photos if you want LOL. Well done Cracker. Angie
AnswerID: 561992

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:50

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:50
Dusky, Ask BTi to place the 3 panels in such a configuration on the roof to allow a 4th to be fitted if the need arises. A few BT's (18's ) have had to have the other panels moved to fit a 4th panel which leads to roof holes that have to be sealed over. Food for thought ! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561993

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:51

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:51
Well done Chris and Sue (Dusky) You won't regret jumping in with both feet (says she who is still waiting for pick-up) LOL. Any chance we will see you both at Copeton? Angie 93 sleeps to go
AnswerID: 561994

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:52

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:52
Evan and Lesley, Happy to give you our thoughts on what we liked about this van - in making your own final decisons, you need to form your own view on whether the primary goal is to create an overall feeling of spaciousness, or want to trade some of that off to maxmisie the amount of storage. In broad terms, this van achieves a very nice balance of both, although there are a few things we would change to reflect our personal preferecnes (that is not a crticism of this design - different owners have different requirements, which is what customisation is all about) We currently have an 18' 6" van with full length divan at rear (which could double as 3rd bed), and were unclear whether the smaller settee and cupbard combination (as per the Mathews layout) would work better for us, or whether it was starting to get too crowded. The smaller settee still keeps an open feeling, and you get a useful increase in storage by the addition of the extra cupboard near the entry door (and we think it unlikely that we will ever need the 3rd bed, as the grown-up kids prefer to tent than be with the oldies). Secondly, this van has the dining area opposite the entry door, and kitchen adjacent to the door (some vans reverse this, with kitchen on wall opposite the entry door) which we feel also better preserves the feeling of spaciousness when you walk in . Third, we are fans of the island bed set-up and believe that the "against the wall" designs would be just too hard to make up in the mornings, coupled with the fact that the under-bed storage of an island bed is easier to access (from inside the van) and is generally more usable provided you get BTI to insert a double set of dividers between the drawer area, and the storage accessible from the hatches. This creates a stroage area in the middle of about 12" wide and equal to the width of the bed which is ideal for folding tables and chairs, and leaves the main hatch area completely free for everything else (eg BBQ's, generator and things that are usually odd-shaped and not easily stackable. The settee has access doors on the front, complementing the usual cutouts which are under the seat cushions. We liked the central drawers under the bed, with cupboards to left and right. The cupboard to right of entry door is only half height with a small counter top - we like that (for spaciousness) but is also a very useful area for things like laptop, phone re-charger or other small appliances - make sure you get at least a 240v power point installed here. The things we would chnage in the Mathews layout are: 1) Reverse the "L" of the dining seat (so the short seat is adjacent to the ensuite), and remove the cupboad unit between the dinette and island bed. The Mathews design provides lots more cupboards, but because you have restricted access at both ends of the dinette (ie due to the ensuite and opposite cupboard), the cutaways on the dining table result in a table area which is really quite small (though adequate). With the alternate configuration, the table in our 18' 6" is much larger then the one in this van. [As mentioned above, this is where the question of space vs storage is important - we spent much of our lives going on holidays with 3 kids in a small Jayco camper trailer, so are a little cynical about the volumes of gear that a lot of BTI owners seem to want to take with them] 2) The Mathews design has the manifold (with isolation taps used to determine which water tank is to be used) located under the kitchen sink. The alternative is a small cupboard door, immediately to the left of the entry door, which makes the manifold easier to access and leaves the ktichen cupboard uncluttered with hoses and clamps. Ask to see this alternate design if you visit BTI, as I think it is far better. 3) The Mathews design has the over-sized hatches, on both sides of van, for access to the under-bed stroage. This is great (we currently only have 1 large, and 1 small hatch - and it is a real pain). 4) Would question the location of Wesbago water heater in cupboard to right of main entry door - not sure if that was by design (to allow more free storage in ensuite), or for some other reason. 5) We also prefer that the ensuite has the vanity in it as well. When on the road it makes it easier to shave and clean your teeth etc. 6) We also liked the fact that it had extended shoe boxes at the bed ends Phil and Lorraine
AnswerID: 561995

Reply By: Dusky - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:53

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:53
Lorraine, We requested delivery in June 05. This is due to my work situation. I believe the latest delivery dates that BTI are going out to is Jan/Feb 05. Anthony, That’s a very good point about the SPs positioning particularly as the intent is to also have a Wineguard. On a 20’ is there still plenty of room with 4 SPs and a Wineguard? Angie, Thankyou for your congratulations. Unfortunately, with work and family commitments we will not be able to attend Copeton. There is always next year! After BT discussions / contract commitment with Tracy he advised that he was looking at the Dodge RAM as his next vehicle. Current price ex Sydney $97k. Tracy stated that these vehicles are more like a car to drive than the F250s and get better fuel economy. However, at a price of 25% more than an F250 it makes it hard to justify. Does any one have any experience with these vehicles? Dusky
AnswerID: 561996

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:54

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:54
Angie,
Sorry to cause you any inconvienience.
I wonder if you might be able to send it to myother email address
evan50@froggy.com.au
I would really appreciate it very much
thanks again

Evan (evles)

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:55

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:55
Hi Evles, I have put our layout in the pictures section now in a file called Layouts on I think Page 4. you can check it out there now. It would still pay you to change your email address on your profile page in case anyone is trying to contact you. The waiting is the worst part, isnt it? Angie
AnswerID: 561998

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:56

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:56
Him Phill & Lorraine. I'm sorry that I haven't responded to your email sooner. I only just found it by accident this morning. Let me thankyou for the detailed explaination that you took time to send me. I am truly thankful. Would there be any chance that you could sketch a layout and send to me? or if you have a digital camera, perhaps could take a pic and send to me. I would be most greatfull. You could send it to my email address as follows if you wouldn't mind, which is, evan50@froggy.com.au. For some reason files have not come through on this email address. Thankyou in anticipation. Evan & Lesley
AnswerID: 561999

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:57

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:57
Hi To all those who haven't ordered yet, the only suggestion I will make regarding the difference between a 20' and a 21' is that the extra foot allows you to put a cabinet between the cafe table (which can be made into a full length bed) and the island bed. In Brian Fox's van the cabinet comes to the top of the cafe seat; in ours the cabinet is ceiling height most of the way and seat back height for the very end. Seeing Brian's van moved us from a 20' to a 21'. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562000

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:58

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:58
This message has been deleted by the author.
AnswerID: 562001

Our Sponsors