National Parks

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:34
ThreadID: 120536 Views:4019 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All,Our names are Keith & Sue and we are planning a visit to the following National Parks.1.Mt Moffat.2.Expedition.3.Carnarvon Gorge.4.Blackdown Tableland,5.Cania Gorge.We own a 16ft Bushtracker coupled to a 4.2TD Nissan Patrol.We would be interested to gather info regarding these destinations and the accessability with our Van. Kind Regards Bato.
Bato Keith & Susan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:36

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:36
Good to see another pair of BT owners joining the group. As for Cania Gorge and Carnarvon Gorge, you will not have any problems at all. Cania Gorge is Bitumen all the way to the caravan park, but make sure that you go to the Big 4 one at the end of the road, it is by far the nicest of the 2 parks and Jim and Faye will make you very welcome. Canarvon Gorge has a caravan park just outside the National park and although it is a gravel road, there is no problems getting the van in. Cannot help with the others as we haven't been there. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562014

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:37

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:37
Carnarvon Gorge National Park Camping area is only open in school hols. at Easter, July and October. Otherwise you have to stay at Takarakka Resort Camping area, but book ahead - Ph (07) 4984 4535 or email takarakka@takarakka.com.au Mt Moffat is fantastic but it's a 300km trip from Carnarvon via Injune. Injune to Mt Moffat is dirt and rough (OK for BT). Dargonelly Campground is good. Blackdown access road is very steep gravel so take it easy. We will be in the area in May - see attached itinerary and contact details. Cheers.......Rob
AnswerID: 562015

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:38

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:38
Sorry, I'll try to attach the Itinerary again.............Rob
AnswerID: 562016

Reply By: Bato - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:39

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:39
Thanks Rob & Brian for the info,most helpful.Rob we will keep an eye out for you during our trip although you will most likely be just in front of us.We don't leave Brunswick Heads untill the 22nd May.Once again thanks for the info. Cya Keith
Bato Keith & Susan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 562017

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:40

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:40
Kieth, If you are going into Expedition from the Taroom side ther'es a track leading to the left just past Glenhaughton. There's a sign saying "no access to Expedition NP" and you have to go 20km further north past the Reedy Creek turnoff and then an 18km rough & narrow track back to Starkvale campground. We checked out the other track and found it to be only 11 km and better than the north approach, although the last 50m into the camping area is a bit tricky (rough creak crossing). So, if you are going in via Taroom you could take the track with the "no access" sign on it. Seems there could be some conflict going on between NPWS and State Forests. At Starkvale (tank water, toilets and plenty of firwood) there are some good walks to lookouts over Robinson Gorge. The Cattle Dip is spectacular and if you have the energy to do a bit of clambering over rocks you can get to the Cattle Dip along the floor of the Gorge. (That would take a few hours). The road back to Dawson Hwy is rough in places but OK for BT. We "parked" overnight at Fred's Gorge near Springsure - Stunning views at sunset and sunrise. Then we headed into Ka Ka Mundi, Salvator Rosa and through the newly named Goodliff Section of Carnarvon. All roads OK for BT, plenty of bulldust, corrugations and hoofugations (Cattle trodden wet black soil that has dried out to concrete). WARNING -See my posting on Landcruiser Brakes.
AnswerID: 562018

Our Sponsors