Bloomfield Track

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:56
ThreadID: 120548 Views:3366 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys I'm not yet a BT owner, but am resisting Commitment Anxiety & will place the order soon (trembling!) A couple of years ago we went from Cape Tribulation to Cooktown via the Bloomfield Track. Parts were very steep, but we got hrough no problems and it was my FIRST experience in a (hired) 4WD. Nedless to say, Lyn and I got THE BUG, and now have our own vehicle. Planning on an 18ft BT for next year. My question is: has anyone done this trip towing a BT? How did the trip go, any problems with the really steep bits? This is a GREAT group, we have learnt a lot, and we have gained a lot of hints to put into the design process. Looking forward to becoming a REAL Bogger! Thanks Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:58

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:58
Hi Bob and Lyn, Welcome to the group. I know at Copeton there is going to be a discussion about a group of BT's going up Cape York next year around possibly September. I think more information will be forthcoming at the Rally. Angie
AnswerID: 562077

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:59

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:59
Hi Bob, We did the Bloomfield Track September last year in our Troopy, left our BT at Coya Beach near Mossman as it was only a day trip. We did meet a couple on the track towing a BT16ft they had run into trouble half way up a very steep hill, their new F250 had caught fire under the bonnet, something about an oil line breaking and spraying oil onto hot electrics, and they had to be towed into Mossman by RACQ, that apparently was an experince on it's own. The BT survived the trip OK but it's not something I would choose to do if there was an alternative, though I'm sure it could be done with care. Lynne (Lillymac)
AnswerID: 562078

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:00

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:00
G'day Bob, I agree with Lynne. Pointless taking a BT over the track when an easier option is available. Hauling 3 ton up some of those steep grades would simply be pushing you vehicles to the limit. Any water on these grades would make the venture simply dangerous. Plenty of other places to try out your van Suggest Buketown, Doomagie, Kingfisher Camp, Lorne Hill and down to Camooweal. Plenty of great spots to bushcamp and ideal travelling for a BT. Have fun John
AnswerID: 562079

Our Sponsors