Hot Water Heater Anode

Submitted: Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:28
ThreadID: 120558 Views:3653 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am keeping the BT in Cooma (NSW) during the winter. I contacted the water heater manufacturer and they advised removing the anode and draining the holding tank. I have heaved and heaved, using my Sidichrome socket set, but it won't budge. I have packed the whole thing in insulwool until I can extract the anode. Can anyone give me a simple tip in its removal.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:30

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:30
Sorry. We had no trouble with ours, and in fact we were
stuck with a blockage and had to use 2 shifters to get it out.

----------------------

Gary Harding

TriSys Engineering/III

AnswerID: 562099

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:31

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:31
Left Hand (Reverse) Thread? Griff
AnswerID: 562100

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:32

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:32
BTi changed ours for us, and they had to put a lot of pressure on it to get it undone. It might pay to contact BTi and ask them about it. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562101

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:33

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:33
Sounds like the factory inserted anode is a little tight and/or corroded on the threads. If the threads are exposed a little on the anode squirt some RP7 type spray it may just help the first thread or two ..... place a socket on not a spanner or shifter. Use a long 1/2 inch drive handle and turn anti-clockwise to undo. Hold one hand over socket and other at end of handle and slowly apply more and more pressure until it undoes. A few things to keep in mind with the anode ... 1. The threaded plug on the end of the anode is "TAPERED". So the further you turn it the tighter it gets, even to a point where it can stretch the thread in the tank. So the rule here is not to overtighten. 2.A tapered thread into water (with pressure especially) requires some form of removable mechanical seal on the thread. Thread tape is the preferred type for water. This will allow the anode to be removed easier as well, as the tape provides a certain protection from corrosion in the threads if undone every six months. 3.The thread is "conventional" in its tapping i.e. Undo By Turning Anti-Clockwise. To do up ..place three wraps of thread tape over threaded area on anode. Each thread should have three wraps over it ..... NOT 10. Too much thread tape covers too much of the thread depth. Do up by hand and place socket over and tension to firm ...dont lean on it !! It is surprising how little thread engagement is needed with a tapered thread with tape on. I remove my anode and flush deposits (from anode and water minerals) every six months and have found it needs replacing every 10-12 months. If in a cold part of Aust (any chance of freezing) I'd be emptying tank for winter or any time heater is off in cold climate area. In Qld I dont empty mine for winter just a flush and refill. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562102

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:34

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:34
Anthony, Thanks for a comprehensive reply. I will attache the socket and estension and give it some assistance with a large stillson wrench, that should release it. I guess that the manufacturer (installer) may have overtightened the anode. Terry
AnswerID: 562103

Reply By: Wadefarers - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:35

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:35
Terry Did mine on Sunday. Used the 27 mm socket with about a 120mm long 1/2" drive extension post. Had trouble at first but good spray of WD40 and left for about 10 minutes. Came back and just eased it slightly out at first. Didn't want to apply too much pressure. (Was thinking of water pipe over the end of the ratchet but glad it did come loose before that last resort) As Anthony said, give it a good flush out, the amount of junk inside surprised me. Good luck Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 562104

Our Sponsors