iPod value and workings ?

Submitted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:02
ThreadID: 120565 Views:7754 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I have tentative approval from the boss for an iPod. They seem like a good idea for heaps of music in a portable format. I'm trying to kill a few birds with one stone .... so if I have it right I can, via suitable software, load my CDs into PC and then transfer songs to iPod via USB port ? This then can be tuned to any FM radio to play songs from IPod .... via optional iPod FM transmitter that sits on top of unit ? In other words I can have say 2500 songs in iPod and place it in BT and tune new Alpine to FM and away we go ...then place in F-truck, WRX etc. This would solve a few probs ...effie still does not have a cd player ...wrx only has a single cd player and BT will only have a single cd player installed. Does the lithium ion battery in the unit last long in practice ? Obviously for long plays it would be a good idea to get the $70 slimline in-car power supply charger for the BT and another for cars ? I also see on website that it has an optional download port to archive digital photos when away from PC. Has anyone used this ? The 2 x 64 Meg cards for my camera seem to fill too quickly and the iPod can hold thousands .... Anyone with one had a warranty claim ? Still happy with it ? Is the technology being outdated faster than we purchase or will iPod be here for some time ? It seems like they are selling bucket loads ...even a Mini iPod that Amy would kill for .... maybe her xmas present !! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:04

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:04
Anthony,

Short responses to your questions re iPod, based on 6 months use.

A great piece of technology. And the iPod seems at this stage anyway to be the best implementation of this type of technology
I now have 5,500 tracks loaded on mine and am using about 75%. Space used on 40Gb iPod is about 30Gb
The gotcha is that the iPod is synchronised from an ITunes library database maintained on your PC. So you need up to 40Gb of space for the library. I solved this one by purchasing an external USB connected hard drive which I use for iTunes, backups etc.
The iTunes software is free and downloaded from Apple site
Have tried the FM transmitters with limited success. Interference from other FM broadcasting, strength of transmission etc.
Now use a Signal transmitter built into a cassette, which goes in the Tape player in the car - perfect.
In the van use line out cable from iPod to RCA connectors on our Xmedia dream box - perfect
Battery life not as long as they claim. Best if you set up a playlist and let it buffer instead of selecting one song after another - minimises disk activity
Haven't had any experience with photo download. As an alternative, have a look here www.mittoni.com.au
Accept that as soon as you buy one, a better model will appear within one month! Keeps you sharp in terms of how you keep justifying these CAPEX requests!
For my money iPOd is best available

Good luck

Pete
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562146

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:05

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:05
Hi We have the 40GB and love it! I have 4764 songs using 17.4GB. We have put audio input at the cafe table that goes to the Pioneer DVD entertainment system we are installing so that it provides all of our music. Gave away all of our CDs to Jak's daughter. What a space saver! We haven't had problems with the FM transmitter; however there are times of signal problem. Can't use Pete's system as no tape player (old technology ). Anthony, you will not regret the purchase and it will work beautifully with your new surround system! tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562147

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:06

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:06
Thanks ! I have an 80 Gb hard drive split into two logical drives and peeking at second drive I still have 38 Gb spare. I was only going to get the 15Gb iPod so am willing to lend 15 of the second drive to iPod. That covers that ..... I think the Alpine head unit I'm getting from SIM has an iPod port on front panel or at least some way of hard connection ? That would cover that ... The F-truck has a tape player so the connection via false looking cassette and wire to iPod would cover that ... I love justifying these modern thingies .... [smile] I just had a look at our cd collection and it only numbers about 60. Seeing as we are not real music lovers the 15Gb should suffice for some time. I better pop into an apple shop for 2or3 delicious !! [smile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562148

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:07

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:07
Jay, is yours the 2004 F250 model? and if so, do you use the iPod in the Effie? What did you specify in order to get the audio in at the cafe dinette location? Pete, you plug yours through the Dreambox, but if no Dreambox, then I guess we would have to use Jay's method and find somewhere on our system to plug it in. Would that be right? Or do you also plug yours into your sound system as well external to the Dreambox? The other question relates to backup. What happens if something goes wrong with the iPod? Can your data (music) be transferred to something else or is it then lost? If that is the case I guess it means you would have lost all that if you have no longer got the CDs? Jay, maybe you can tell me your backup plan here. I can also see the benefits of having the backup space for photos until being able to download them onto the puter. I would love an iPod after reading more about them due to the information here, but think I will have to sweet-talk the Boss into letting me have one . Angie
AnswerID: 562149

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:08

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:08
Hi Yes we have the 2004 Effie with the six-disc stacker that is useless for us! In the Effie we rely on the iTrip FM transmitter that is on top of the iPod, and plug the iPod into the 12V aux receptical using the PowerPod. All accessories from Griffin Technology and obtainable in Australia. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/ We are using a Pioneer DVHP 5050 that plays everything and has inputs for auxilliary units, e.g., iPod and laptop. At the dinette we SIM/BTi will install AV inputs and a 12V plug. We can plug in either the iPod and the audio signal will go from the iPod to the Pioneer and to all of the speakers, or we can plug in the laptop and send both the audio and visual signals will go to the Pioneer and out to the speakers and the TV. Regarding backup, as Pete indicated, the backup is the laptop or an external harddrive. We too use an external harddrive - LaCie 200GB. I have a large harddrive (no jokes now!) because I want to get into editing of my digital movies and make DVDs to send to family and friends. I also use the iPod as a source of information. Using a program called iPodSync, I download all of my contact information in Outlook and my calendar, and I can also download drag and drop Notepad .txt etc. Really quite useful. Happy purchasing! tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562150

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:09

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:09
Thanks Jay, It would save carrying around a few smaller items. Yes, definitely will have to tickle the Boss's fancy over this one. Wish me luck everyone. Angie
AnswerID: 562151

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:10

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:10
okay, so another question - what would happen if both of you wanted to use the iPod at the same time e.g. in jays case, he is out in the Effie and Jac is back at home in the van? Angie
AnswerID: 562152

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:11

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:11
who asked you? what are you, a trouble maker? did Ivan put you up to those questions? geesh Actually, if I had the iPod in the Effie, Jak would have the laptop in the BT and would plug the laptop into the same audio input that the iPod uses and would play the music from the laptop. Remember, everything in the iPod is also in the computer as a backup. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562153

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:12

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:12
Morning all, After a bit of ringing around and a bit of searching the net at places like iPodlounge I have decided on the following. iPod 20Gb at $575-599. iTrip FM transmitter at $68 Monster Smart Charger (from lighter socket) with Boost/Float at $67 Seeing as changing frequencies with the iTrip is all menu driven and a bit fiddly to do whilst at the wheel I'm also purchasing the following ... Monster FM transmitter Smart Charger Combo at $124. This has 8 buttons to select different frequencies. This is best for the car (easy to flick freq) but as soon as unplugged has no power to drive FM transmitter. This will allow 6-8 freq on FM2 on head unit buttons to correspond with the buttons 1 to 6,7,8, on FM transmitter. Very neat and not much larger than iTrip !!! Seeing as we dont have a laptop I'm also looking at the Belkin Digital Media Reader this will allow Digital Camera photos to be downloaded direct into iPod via docking port. This will allow me to take more than 160 pics (only have 2x64Meg cards for camera ) at a time. Download thousands to PC when back home. Cost is $199. Prices are from DVDirect in Sydney. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562154

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:13

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 05:13
Anthony wrote: This will allow me to take more than 160 pics (only have 2x64Meg cards for camera ) at a time. Download thousands to PC when back home. Angie wrote: See.... you can be very helpful when you want to be. LOL. By the way what happened to all my pics from these last couple of weeks? Come on, big boy, show me what you've got. LOL. Angie 81 sleeps to go.
AnswerID: 562155

Our Sponsors