Copeton Update

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:20
ThreadID: 120568 Views:14162 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Copeton State Recreation Area.
The area reserved for the BOG rally is called Copeton Bay, it is located about a kilometre inside the park from the entrance and well away from the “Van Park” and main playground areas, although there is a small kids play area with slides etc. where we are to camp.

There is a shower-toilet block at the top end of our area and a 2 seat dunny closer in.

There are 11 power poles scattered at random around the area, each with 4 outlets, ie, 44 powered sites.

If more than 44 vans require full time power the I suggest that the first 44 registration confirmations have them.
And it seems that we already have 44 bookings.
Still, these are Bushtracker vans so power should not be an issue.
If you want to camp using your own facilities, including “QUIET” generators such as the Honda then there is ample space right next to the powered area.
Those choosing to camp there will not miss out on anything as it is only a 2 minute walk to the proposed community area. (Some of the powered sites are further away.)

There are about a dozen water taps scattered through the powered area so if everyone brings a hose double adaptor (and a long hose) we will not have problems there.

From memory (could be wrong here) there are some dunnys and water taps at the far end of the non powered area.

There is no sullage disposal and grey water will need to be discharged under your van.
One trick here is to put an old sock or stocking end over the discharge end of the waste hose. It will catch any food scraps and grease and keep the flies down. The water will soak into the ground.

We are still working around the marquee problem but it seems that it will cost around $1500.00 to have a large marquee delivered-erected-taken away.
So at this stage a cost of less than $35.00 per van.
I believe that we should proceed to arrange the marquee unless there are strong objections from the majority of attendees.

If anyone attending or intending has further questions please ask.

Best regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:53

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:53
TUR15T, Here is the response from Copeton Waters re having spit roasts. As I said, I will arrange for the hogget, through this butcher. Could someone else do likewise for the pig and poultry? He will probably need a couple of weeks notice......... "In reply to your questions it will be ok for your group to use the Copeton Bay Shelter Shed for your spits which is fairly close to where you will be camping. You may collect rocks and firewood from the scrub area. I have contacted one of our local butchers and I give you his details for you to make arrangements for quantity and prices etc. Mr Graeme Crisp, Sapphire City Meats Ph: 02 67221903." Apologise for delay in reply but have had computer problems. If you have any further questions please give me a call or e-mail. Regards Leah Humphreys Copeton Waters State Park. Cheers.....................Rob
AnswerID: 562167

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:54

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:54
Gday Have been travelling and have only just caught up with the latest, What happened to the KISS principle. From what Ive read you have managed to take the 7 Ps to the max, BBQs Galore sell battery operated spit motors for about $20 odd. Getting the meat on the bone is wastefull and more expensive than getting it boned and rolled.. If a shed is available why do we need to go to the expense to hire a marquee? See you there Poverty pack
AnswerID: 562168

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:55

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:55
Well it's like this Mick, the camp kitchen/rec shed/covered fire pit is about 2 kl from our camp.
The communal fire pit has a concrete base so we can't drive stakes in to hold the spits.
The shed is not big enough for our numbers.
We can not have a "bonfire" type campfire in that area.
It is close to the caravan park area so no late night noises.
The battery operated BBQ galore spit motors are good for 10Kg max (according to BBQ Galore) so will not handle a full carcase.

Yes we may waste a bit of meat by cooking full carcases but it is an atmosphere thing.
Nothing like standing around a cooking spit for 10 hours.
And there are lots of BOGgers bringing dogs so the bones will get used.

Our marquee will be adjacent to our camp area and our communal fire will be close by.

I hope that the arrangements will meet with your approval now that you are aware of the facts that influenced our decisions.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562169

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:56

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:56
MMMmmmmm! Standing round a spit for 10 hours ..... I'll be comatose from red wine poisioning by then ...can a kind soul help Cindy place me under my BT !! Thanks !!! [grin] BTW ...No cooked bones for man's best friend please ....Cindy is on holidays ! No matter how much they look at you with sad, hungry, gimme the bone eyes .... Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562170

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:57

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:57
Poverty Pack, TUR15T, Anthony et al, Re approved location of spit roast, refer to Message # 33 .....(above) "In reply to your questions it will be ok for your group to use the Copeton Bay Shelter Shed for your spits which is fairly close to where you will be camping. You may collect rocks and firewood from the scrub area." As far as KISS principle is concerned - wait 'til you see the simplicity of the spits - they don't need a bonfire......just a good bed of mainained hot coals. We don't need to dig massive holes for posts, nor for a pit. Wastage- there will be a good supply of succulent spare ribs and crackling after the main carve - just to help finish off a glass or two of fine wine, AND.....remember we have to save some for Cracker who doesn't arrive 'til Tuesday... Then we'll see if the dogs are fed! 4 hours maximum time for the roast.........10 hours! We may have to drag Anthony to "under his van" for the night! Looking forward to it all.............Rob
AnswerID: 562171

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:58

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:58
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.
AnswerID: 562172

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:59

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 02:59
The above message wasn't censored, too many typo's

Rob,
The spits don't need the bonfire, we do. Can be cold up there at night even in September.
And as Leah (the park manager) is a fit young ranger she probably considers a 2 k walk to top up your glass to be "fairly close".
I'm too bloody lazy for that.

And 10 hours, easy.
First, get the rocks to hold the coals
Then, get the wood,
Then, light the fire,
Then, talk about wether we have the correct type of wood for the best coals,
Then, have a beer,
Then, rake the coals,
Then, set up the carcarse,
Then, adjust the fire heat,
Then, have a beer,
Then, adjust the height of the spit,
Then, put on some marinade,
Then, have another few beers,
And then and then and then etc etc.
And then 10 hours has gone and so has the meal.
Then we have a little rest and do it again.

Anyhow, the fishing should be good.
The dam is at around 24% full so they should be concentrated and easy to catch.

Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562173

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:00

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:00
Just bringing this thread to the top for the new members
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562174

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:01

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:01
This will make Cracker happy.

After speaking with the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker in Inverell it is the consensus of opinion that we shouold shift the date of the MAIN spit roast night to the Tuesday.
This will allow for Monday afternoon collection of supplies etc.
Getting in to town and arranging things on the same morning as the party is possible but makes a bit of a rush of things and who wants that.

The spit roasts will still be set up and available for practice roasts of joints, chooks etc for those who want them.

The disadvantage of this of course is that with a possible 4 nights practicing spit roasting the grog bill will escalate a little.

Best regards
Turist.

"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562175

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:02

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:02
More good news for the rally.

Two of our sponsors have indicated that they will bring along a prize that we may use as we think best.

Brian Bugenhagen of Sound In Motion will be offering an item that will be of use to all BT owners, final item yet to be decided but most likely a GPS unit.
Most generous of Brian, who originally thought to put this up as a lucky door prize.
I have however proposed a raffle and this is to be held on the Saturday night, Sept 18th as Brian can only attend on the weekend.
Surplus funds from the raffle are to go to our nominated charity, the RFDS.

The raffle ticket sellers will be easily identified by thier uniform, a black hooded mask and leather jerkins and by what they are carrying, a collection bucket in one hand and a sawn off axe in the other.
So be generous. Please.

Best regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562176

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:03

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:03
Further to the last posting.

If you wish to purchase raffle tickets and can not be there by the 18th let us know and we will try and arrange something so that you can pre-purchase.

The raffle tickets will be $2.00 each.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562177

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:04

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:04
Hi Turist, Does this include those of us who cannot make it to the rally due to work commitments? Or is it restricted to attendees? Prue
AnswerID: 562178

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:05

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:05
Prue we will try and find a way to open the raffles to all members.
All the draws will need to be done at Copeton but we will find a way to get some early ticket sales so we can advise you of your lucky numbers before the event.

You will of course have to trust me when I give you the results :-)

Regards
Turist

"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562179

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:06

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:06
Prue, I see you're looking a bit under the weather ....around the 16-18th of Sept !!! [grin] See your local Doctor ...they might recommend a weeks recovery !! [coughCoughWink] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562180

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:07

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 03:07
More great news.
Webasto Australia, one of the sponsors of our new forum have donated a Webasto heater for us to raffle at Copeton.
That draw will definately take place on the Tuesday 21st as Roger Phair from Webasto will be with us then.

Good to see such strong support from our sponsors, please take the time to meet and thank Roger for his efforts on our behalf.

And as Angie would say, "Only one more sleep and wer'e away"

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562181

Our Sponsors