Stone Guards

Submitted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:30
ThreadID: 120577 Views:4737 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone created/invented/designed their own stone guard which is slung under the A frame and attempts to prevent all stones etc from hitting both van and vehicle underneath? If so can you please log details onto this site. We are interested in trying to create such a contraption but one that is removeable when not required. kiwibiv
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:32

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:32
Bev, The standard stone guard that BTi fit prevents most stones from hitting the van or being rebounded to the tow vehicle, but they still it things like the weight distribution equipment and jockey wheel and can rebound into the rear of the tow vehicle. Turist Bob had a rear window smashed by a flying rock. He then installed another screen between the BTi stone guard and the rear of vehicle. In preparation for our next trip that will cover thousands of kilometres of rocky roads, we have also made up a similar screen. It is made of shade clothe and has eyelets in the top so that it can be secured at each side and in the centre of top of BTi stone guard. On each side of this screen there is a folded over section to allow a cord to run through it. The shape of the screen has to be the same width as BTi screen at the top but at the bottom be just under the width of the rear of the tow vehicle. I have a clip attached to the sides of the rear bumper bar, another clip at the bottom of where the BTi screen attaches, and on both sides of the top of the BTi screen. This last clip has a small pulley attached to it. We then run elastic cord from the rear bumper bar, through the edge of our new screen, through the pulley and down to the lower clip of the BTi screen. The reason the elastic cord goes through the pulley and down to the bottom of the BTi screen is to give extra stretch to allow enough stretch in it when turning sharp corners. It takes about 2 minutes to attach and remove the new screen, which will only be put on when on bad rocky roads. It does not prevent rocks hitting under the van, but it does prevent all rocks from hitting the front of the caravan and also from rebounding into the rear of tow vehicle. Brian 4 days to go before we head west.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562215

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:33

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:33
Brian Can you post a couple of pics of the screen before you depart? Look forward to seeing the real thing at Copeton (or at Gympie). Have a great trip. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562216

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:34

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:34
Biv

Check "Stone Damage" thread in Hints and Tips section.

Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 562217

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:35

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:35
I first saw Bob's stone blanket at Cania and certainly put that one on the list of "to do's". It is certainly effective but stones might still hit under BT every now and then. The stone blanket protects the rear of vehicle and front of BT thats for sure. Bob's fairly travelled in his new BT now .... I'm not sure how bad a problem stones going under BT would be ..... Bob is under your BT unscathed ? If stones are a problem causing damage underneath a polyurethane sheet across the front on three or four heavy hinges and cut 60mm from road might be possible. Chains leading forward to a hook would hold it vertical when travelling. The same chains could be hung the other way lifting it up and out of the way because it is hinged. You would want it out of the way at speed (bitumen) because of wind resistance Just a thought ..... ??? People more experienced in gibber country travel might be able to comment as the sheet might even pick rocks up if it contacts the road at anything faster than walking pace ??? Gibbers can hit like cannon balls underneath so the sheet might not last too long, might need to be pretty tough ???? Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562218

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:36

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:36
Tony the underside of the van does get a little stone damage but nothing serious.
We have had to replace some plastic zip ties that have been broken by flying gravel but the essential items seem well protected.
The leading edges of the water tank shields on my earlier BT looked like someone had fired No. 5 shot from a 12 gauge at them but the tanks were OK.

I don't like the hanging down gravel guards on either tow vehicle or van.
They can flick up some of the larger stones and could cause more damage than they save.

The biggest problem we have found is the stones flicking forward from solid objects on the 'A'frame such as the jockey wheel. Until I fitted the extra stone guard we suffered a lot of damage that way.
A broken rear window and a re-spray of the tailgate after a trip over the Tanami and the Gibb.
Just look at how many 4wd vehicles towing on gravel have cardboard back windows.

No damage at all after fitting extra stone guard "Blanket"

Regards
Turist

PS. design registration applied for. Copies may be made after payment recieved. A bottle of red at Copeton seems a fair price.
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562219

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:37

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:37
Bev & Brian
Attached is a picture of a Trakmaster owner that invented/designed his own stone guard which is slung under the A frame prevents all stones etc from hitting both van and and rear of vehicle See the details of such a contraption that is removeable when not required.

Laurie
AnswerID: 562220

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:38

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:38
Bev & Brian
See also in "Pictures" for more shots of the stone guard as fitted to a Trakmaster van, found at a recent gathering of Trakmaster owners.

Laurie.
AnswerID: 562221

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:39

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:39
Turist Any problem posting some pics of your stone guard and how it attaches to your BT and vehicle? Thanks on behalf of all ! tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562222

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:40

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:40
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and photos. Have printed them off and will discuss your ideas with my other half tonight. Lots of useful information. kiwibiv
AnswerID: 562223

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:41

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 03:41
Sorry Jay, no pics on file.
Have to wait for the next hook up.

Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562224

Our Sponsors