GPS/Computer Tracking Software

Submitted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 20:57
ThreadID: 120578 Views:8025 Replies:13 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Golly, it is almost that time and it is actually getting scary . Two weeks from now we will actually be on the road heading for BTi and a change of lifestyle possibly greater than when I went from terra firma to yacht. My BT is actually smaller than my yacht! "Gwen", our Garmin Street Pilot III has been loaded with the latest versions of City Navigator (ver5) and MetroGuide (ver4). Now time to think about other mapping products. Anyone have experience with/suggestions between TrackRanger ($249) and OziExplorer ($130)? Other mapping products/maps on CD? Thanks, tgintl/jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 20:59

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 20:59
GPS, Electronic maps, Computer Mapping, Street pilots.

What's wrong with a sharp stick 'n a patch o'dirt?

Lots of bushies been finding their way around with this technology, and the batteries don't go flat.

Australia is easy navigating Jay.
Keep the blue bit on the outside and the brown stuff in the middle, can't go wrong.

Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562225

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:00

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:00
Just another thought.
The BT smaller than your yacht?

One big difference that makes the BT a heck of a lot bigger than a yacht, Australia.

You can step off at any time and enjoy the backyard.

Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562226

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:01

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:01
"You can step off at any time and enjoy the backyard."
Turist, I did that cruising all of the time - mask, fins, snorkel and a big spear gun. mmmmm mmmmm good! Can't you swim? tgintl/jay PS: Also had a compressor and did SCUBA most days.
AnswerID: 562227

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:02

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:02
Jay, Bob's system is fantastic ... use it !! When you eventually find yourself back in the same spot try turning 90 degrees to face inland ... keep dirt between the wheels until you see blue. Turn 190 degrees set off again til you see blue. Turn 190 and go again... If you have trouble finding inland direction and you are on the east coast ...stand in darkness ..when sun comes up turn to feel warmth on back of head ... then take a pee in the dirt .... draw a line between toes and pee puddle ... head in that direction til spotting blue. If on west coast warmth is felt on face ...rest is the same. [AzimuthallyGrinning] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562228

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:03

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:03
Jay says "Turist, I did that cruising all of the time - mask, fins, snorkel and a big spear gun"

How did you keep the wood dry for the campfire?

Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562229

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:04

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:04
Turist - Easy man! Beach party bingo on white sand under the palm trees cookin' da fishes over coconut husk fires. No prob bro . We catchy da fishes at Copeton and cook over open fire. Two notched sticks a standin' and one stick through the mouths and out the gills resting in the notch. Cook over coals basting with beer. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm However, the natives did not quite measure up to the ones in the movies - darn . tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562230

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:05

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:05
Jay I have recently acquired OziExplorer/Natmaps/Hema GDT through ExplorOz (good price, excellent service). I'm slowly climbing the learning curve before my Central Australia trip in august... in fact I'm driving everyone crazy using the routes/tracks/navigating functions around town. Beep beep beep! No experience with Trackmaster, but OE seems to be very well supported and very popular. Good Luck Bob
AnswerID: 562231

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:06

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:06
Jay, This Yahoo group is for OziExplorer users. Might have some good information for you, including possible comparisons:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/ Angie
AnswerID: 562232

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:07

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:07
Bob Thanks for the note. What GPS unit are you using? The demo software indicates that it hasn't been fully tested with the Garmin Street Pilot III but should work. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562233

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:08

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:08
Hi Jay Gee your big red rig looks great- you must have spent nearly a lifetime in the planning of this and your hedonistic BT! I have a Garmin GPS map 60C whch interfaces to my laptop via USB. OziExplorer v 3953g allows communication via USB or Serial port. Cheers Bob
AnswerID: 562234

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:09

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:09
Jay, Have you looked at SatTrak 24 on www.exploroz.com.au could be a worthy addition. Yeah I know its expensive but... Best Regards Macka
AnswerID: 562235

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:10

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:10
I use OziExplorer *extensively*. I have a massive collection of digital mapping. In my vehicle I use OziExplorer CE on an iPaq mounted in a Clic-on mount. I would not be without the detailed topographic maps as you see so many more places/things to see and/or visit/camp. I really love my maps and mapping tools as they provide such an interest. In conjunction with OziExplorer I use OziPhotoTool to catalogue all my photographs automatically and this makes them so easy to find. You just click on a map at the location and up pops the picture. I publish them to CD and it makes it so easy to catalogue a trip with your pictures. OziPhotoTool ties in directly to OziExplorer and it even puts the date, time and coordinates directly onto the picture. There is an *awesome* amount of very low-cost or freeware add-ons for OziExplorer. The NameSearch files that allow you to find any street, place, town, feature etc. etc. in Australia save so much time and are invaluable.
AnswerID: 562236

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:11

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:11
Here is the website with the large majority of OziExplorer extras. http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/ozi/utilities.html and the home page with heaps of OziExplorer information. http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/ozi/index.html
AnswerID: 562237

Our Sponsors