Laptops and accessing land lines - feedback please

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:13
ThreadID: 120607 Views:3203 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Some travellers have been able to do this in Telecentres (community run non-for-profit groups with public access computers). Telecentres are in a number of rural towns in WA, and I also saw a few in other states (eg Yunta in SA). For those who have used your laptop at a Telecentre, how has it worked? At our Telecentre here in Bridgetown, we have had to say no to this request, as we do not have regular phone sockets (phones are on a Commander system), and computers are linked to a server. A member tried her laptop (which had networking capabilities) plugging it direct into the Telecentre’s network, and was able to do her banking etc. as she would have at home, but I understand without the network card and setup, it wouldn’t have worked this way, as you would only be able to access the Telecentre’s settings. As travelling with laptops is increasing, and mobile calls can be expensive, I would be very interested to hear of other’s experiences. When we finally get away for a big trip, I would like to get a laptop. If this is a service in demand, our Telecentre will look at providing it (if cost effective). Meanwhile, all travellers are welcome to come in and access the internet through our computers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockgoc - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:15

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:15
Hi there. Don't know whether this is strictly correct or not because I haven't had to do it, but......I was told that some Internet Cafes will allow you to plug your laptop into their phone sockets for a small fee. Can't hurt to ask I suppose. Meanwhile, I just use friend's phone sockets and use my "local call " 1900 number to access the net and my e mail. I was also told that most places will allow you to do this if asked nicely. What the heck? Can't hurt to ask....they can only say no, and these days, more and more folk are becoming computer savvy and it's not the big mystery that it was a few years ago. Will be interesting to see what others have to say on this subject and if they have had any knockbacks etc. Cheers from Jan O
AnswerID: 562391

Reply By: Meg and J - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:16

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:16
Hi We have been travelling for over 12 months now and spent 10 months in WA. I have my laptop with me and visited the telecentres throughout WA and loved them. Most of them had the capacity for people to use their own laptops and the charges were different. I just had to have a local call access. I used fax lines, the centre's phone line once when I just wanted to update my virus checker and I have used the network lines. I wouldn't travel without the laptop and I download my emails through the mobile phone. I do it off peak and it is not very expensive at all. I really only go into the telecentres or internet cafes when I have banking to do or the main reason is to keep the antivirus up to date. We are now in SA and I am missing the telecentres but have managed to find some businesses or cafes where I have hooked up. I think you have to just ask. The Information Centres in the bigger places don't seem to know. If your organisation is thinking about offering the service then make sure you advertise the fact especially at the caravan park and the Information Centre. Enjoy your travels and get the laptop. Meg and J
AnswerID: 562392

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:17

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:17
Hi
there,

As a Bushtracker
traveller and volonteer at the Dongara Telecentre, I suggest you use your fax
line for notebook access. Usually travellers with the "Pro"-version of their
operating system (e.g. Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro etc) do not have a
problem in accessing the internet with their laptop connected to the
Telecentre's network, provided of course they have networking capability on
their laptop.