Gas Compliance

Submitted: Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:27
ThreadID: 120611 Views:5382 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
When obtaining inspection for registration renewal (NSW) the Inspector inquired about the location of a Gas Compliance Plate. (Our van is 3 years old, and is inspected annually under the painful NSW requirements.) In a bit of a panic, we phoned Peter at BTI who confirmed that none is fitted, but that a Certificate was apparently provided to us when we took delivery. I advised the Inspector of that, and also that we had never beeen asked before for a Gas Compliance Plate - at that point he said "oh... it's not that important for today's inspection... " and fortunately let it go. My question though is can anyone shed light on the actual NSW Registration Rules regarding this as I can't find anything on the RTA website that mentions this? Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:29

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:29
G'day Phil, Two heads are better than one so I had a good look over the rta site. The regs covering gas compliance are an abyss to say the least. I think you will need to log a call with them for some info ? Peter's claim to supply a cert. at delivery made me dust off the original folder that was given to us at delivery to eek out the mysterious gas certificate. I found such gems as the ... Original rego papers ..dated Nov01 My original floorplan ... Various warranty cert's... Original Prostar brochure ... Thetford material ... Coolmatic material ... Aussie Traveller instructions ... Stove guide ... And absolute rocking horse doo-doo ... a BT battery charger Owners Manual. Yes ! I admit to being a bower bird !! Etc etc ... But guess what .... no gas certificate !!! Maybe the with Qld rego requirements you dont need one ..... just an inspection at sale time ??? That makes two BTs without a certificate ..... MMMMmmmmmm !!!! If you manage to get one I might place an order for mine ... Regards Anthony Explore This Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562399

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:30

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:30
Phil.
Don't quote me but I think.
A gas compliance plate has been mandatory for all gas installations, LPG and Town gas, domestic and mobile, boats, vans etc for several years.
A gas supplier is not permitted to deliver gas without a compliance plate attached near the delivery point.
I am not sure that it becomes part of the rego check, an e-mail to NSW RTA would be a good idea, there is a section for technical advice and they normally give pretty prompt and concise aswers, and you will have it in writing.

If a compliance plate is required it is not difficult, a registered installer can inspect and pressure test the system and attach a plate for a small fee.
Caravan Accessories in Sydney used to offer this service, not sure now as under new owners.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562400

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:31

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:31
Phil.
Just had time to look at the National Code Of Practice Vehicle Standards Bulletin "Building Small Trailers" issued by NSW RTA. This covers caravan construction.

The only mention of LPG installations is in sect 18, below.

18. CARAVANS A caravan or trailer equipped with cooking facilities or living or sleeping accommodation must have only outward-opening or sliding doors. At least one such door must be located on the lefthand side or at the rear.
Liquefied petroleum gas installations in caravans must comply with the requirements of ‘Code Governing the Installation in Caravans of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Equipment and Appliances’, issued by the Australian Liquefied Petroleum Gas Association.
The registering authority should be consulted for acceptability of LPG installations manufactured in accordance with other Codes of Practice. Caravans must be provided with a fire extinguisher(s) selected and located in accordance with Australian Standards AS1850-1994 – ‘Portable Fire Extinguishers – Classification, Rating and Performance Testing’ and AS2444-1995 – ‘Portable Fire Extinguishers and Fire Blankets – Selection and Location’. Fire authorities strongly recommend that caravans or trailers equipped with cooking facilities, or living or sleeping accommodation be fitted with approved fire blankets and smoke detectors for the protection of occupants.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562401

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:32

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:32
I think I will give BTI another call and see if I can get a Certificate - I certainly can't find one in my documentation collection - and like Anthony I keep anything that looks important. Phil
AnswerID: 562402

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:33

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:33
Here's the official word from the RTA Techniocal Dept. Apparently the Law governing registration requirements was changed in 1990 and from that date the vehicle (ie caravan) is required to have a VIN Plate attached which includes such information as Manufacturer, Model, Date of Manaufacture, Weight, and a Statement indicating manufacturing compliance with National Standards. The latter also covers gas fitting standards, and therefore a separate Gas Compliance Plate IS NOT required. BT's are of course fitted with VIN Plates (I haven't checked the exact wording as my van is in storage, but assume it is all ok) Prior to 1990, when VIN's were not required, a Gas Compliance Plate was. So it seems my Inspector was somewhat confused, relying on requirements of almost 15 years ago, and succeeded in causing a degree of stress and angst to me in the process. Based on the above, whether you have a Gas Cerificate from BTI does not really seem to be of any great consequence. Phil
AnswerID: 562403

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:34

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:34
Thanks Phil ! I've always found it strange that over the border you have inspections annually. Even in these enlightened times Qld still doesnt even have it on the table to legislate for it. Trucks have to do it but cars and vans are still exempt !! In NSW you have to fit a voltmeter to monitor voltage for the breakaway system !! Weird !! ??? Do you take your eye off the road to look at voltmeter ??? [smile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562404

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:35

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:35
Yep, the voltmeter requirement is real scary - I don't have one, and have never heard of any other caravanner having one either. Phil
AnswerID: 562405

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:36

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:36
Well, Flip, now you can say you have!! Had one fitted as part of my dedicated alternator/Anderson plug set-up (it tells me what charge I'm getting - so its not totally useless!) But, I agree, I'm probably the only bunny in all of NSW that is compliant! Griff
AnswerID: 562406

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:37

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:37
Griff wouldn't your meter read the voltage in the system, ie, vehicle battery condition plus van battery while hooked up.

To be totally compliant with this stupid regulation you would surely need to know the condition of the van battery that operates the breakaway system as a seperate entity.

Once the van "breaks away" and the emergency system is required only the van batteries will operate it.

I cant see how to monitor the van batteries seperately while connected to the tow vehicle. The charging circuit and the vehicle battery will always affect the reading, even if the van batteries are flat the voltage from the vehicle alternator will show on the meter.

I phoned RTA trying to get a resolution to this problem, asked how to do it.
They gave up in frustation after a while.
Seems that they think that the breakaway operating battery is never connected to the tow vehicle.
Typical bureaucratic blunder, make a requirement that has no practical solution.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562407

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:38

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:38
Agree, Turist, is kinda dumb to have standards that no-one meets. In my case, the situation is resolved, as the tow vehicle battery is never in the circuit. I have a seperate, dedicated small alternator (around 35Amps), whose only job is to drive the van batteries (via the Anderson & a circuit breaker). Thus the meter is measuring the van batteries only - hence compliance! Griff
AnswerID: 562408

Reply By: Oldperc - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:39

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:39
just back and catching up on BOG messages. Yes, in QLD you will need a gas certificate (form 6)when you sell the van. You will also need a safety Certificate (the old RWC)
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 562409

Our Sponsors