Bulldust through the Camec Door

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:38
ThreadID: 120616 Views:8675 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have tried foam over the vent, closing the Water door with foam insert, using "door seal" strips around door, but still get dust in around the hinges and latches. Any other ideas? Regards, ...................Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:40

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:40
Rob I think the only thing to do is to fit a pressure vent. I fitted one before this last trip, and now wish I had fitted one many years ago.
AnswerID: 562429

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:41

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:41
David, Haven't heard of a pressure unit. What do they cnsist of ? Where are they sourced and what price ? Thanks....................Rob
AnswerID: 562430

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:42

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:42
tellembugrem
do a web search for - scupper vent - you'll get a bit of info.
or have a look here.
http://www.camec.com.au/80-Vents%20&%20Cowls.htm

They do work a treat when used properly, just remember to they drag air
in, so if your going past an oncoming vehicle and the sust is blowing to
your side of the road, best to slow right down pull over even for a few
seconds and wait for the dust to settle. Also remember you still need to
block off air vents in the door, 4 seasons hatchs, etc... as the scupper
vent needs to be able to raise the inside pressure of the van higher than
outside to prevent dust coming in.

--
cya down the track.

Graham & Ann
on countdown 21 days to go
before we head off on full time exploration
of our big back yard until we need a spell.
AnswerID: 562431

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:43

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:43
I used the unit that looks like the Camec 8018-421 and 8018-421-55 Scupper vent internal frame, and made my own screen. I did not block off any air vents or doors this time, and had no dust in the van whatsoever on approximately 350km+ of un-made roads with plenty of dust. I placed the vent in a position on the scroll so the door of the vent was parallel with the ground to give maximum airflow/pressure. I was lucky, I only had to slow down a couple of times to wait for the dust to settle on the Chillagoe road, and the rest of the time the breeeze was predominantly blowing the right way for us. Where I bought the pressure vent advised to get the larger unit as from his experience the smaller area vent was useless.
AnswerID: 562432

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:44

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:44
Rob, I have seen a few fans and filters installed in canopies to stop dust. It works very well but unfortunately might have a few limitations in a BT. It involves a 12v fan mounted in a tube ...this tube is then passed through the wall and a pod airfilter is fitted to the tube on the outside. The filter is the same as a car intake filter and stops virtually all dust. Power comes from the vehicle battery and is switched on just before take-off. In our case I'd like to mount one in the cargo bay floor but it would give trouble if fording water. The roof might be ok if the pod filter was shrouded from rain but cutting a 4" hole in the roof or anywhere for that matter is a bit scary !! Mounted in the chequerplate area on the front would be great but because of the vicinity of the gas bottles it would be illegal to have an opening near the bottles. One area that might be suitable is the area where the fill caps for the water are fitted but on the opposite side. You could cut a hole and mount a grille in the plate ... run a tube in a bit and mount filter in tube and then fan after that ....a high flow 4" 12v fan should be available. Might need some experimentation as the filter will block fan flow rate markedly and then possibly not supply enough positive pressure. The external grille would have to be rain proof .... having the louvres angled down like the fridge vents. Speaking of fridge vents ...you might be able to run a bit of ducting from the the top fridge vent into a filter/fan arrangement with a grille into the BT near the fridge. ??? The roof area of the 4 seasons hatch is another possibility for mounting a system ? Looks a bit ugly if seen though ...you could get a cover made that has a speaker grille mounted in it as an "air-in" cover ?? A bit of food for thought ... Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562433

Our Sponsors