Reversing cameras

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:51
ThreadID: 120618 Views:3819 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all i'm considering instaling a reversing camera to my OKA motorhome. unit has to be robust, waterproof and dustproof. prefer LCD TFT colour monitor. have any forum members had any experience with them. do cameras need freqent cleaning in dusty and wet conditions. any information would be greatfuly received. thanks vidas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:53

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:53
Are these something that lets you see behind the caravan? What are they like? How much do they cost?
AnswerID: 562437

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:54

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:54
Reversing Camera, Waeco have black & white cameras / monitors starting from $299 (5" monitor) and colour (7" monitors) from around $550. They are Mobitronic Brand. look up www.waeco.com.au. Astral Electronics, www.australelectronics.com.au have colour kits from $990 and I think Brian Fox might have one and he could give you more details. Jaycar have a wide range of cameras/monitors and I found a colour camera which sits inside the back window of my BT and transmits the picture to my 14" TV which I now carry fixed to the top of the drawer unit in the back of the Landcruiser, instead of in the van. The TV faces forward and I can see the screen through my rear view mirror. A tiny receiver sits on the top of the TV. The camera and receiver run off 240v through 8 and 9v transformers. The camera is plugged into the van's 240v and the receiver is plugged into a 600w inverter which I have mounted on the jack/tool kit door. There are no connecting wires between the camera and the transmitter. The TV can run off either the same inverter or the cig. plug in the 12v system. The unit cost $299 and the picture is good in the daytime but not at night. (We don't travel at night anyway so that doesn't worry me) It's a very wide angle picture and by the time an overtaking vehicle has come off screen, it is right beside you. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's nice not to bother with extension mirrors. Cheers...............Rob
AnswerID: 562438

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:55

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:55
Vidas, I have just picked up the 2004 Jaycar Catalogue and the Camera I have is listed on Page 351, the Colour CMOS Wireless Camera with Infrared Illumination. Camera + Reciever is $299 and an extra camera is $179. Now, I've worked out why it doesn't work at night - the infrared LED's surrounding the lens are reflecting off the inside of the perspex rear window in the BT. So I am now going to test mounting the camera ouside the van and this may also enhance the picture as the Camera is not "looking through" a tinted perspex window. The camera can operate as low as 1Lux with the Infrared Illumination OFF. After that, the IR comes on automatically. I'll post test results later. They also showed me a new 7" flat screen colour monitor (not in catalogue) which could be mounted below your vehicle's interior light (so you can see it in your rear view mirror.) Cost is $199. The camera operates off 9v through a transformer which plugs into 240v outlet. The reciever operates off 8v and it too has its 240v transformer. Cheers..............Rob
AnswerID: 562439

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:56

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:56
Thanks Tellem.... There seems to be a large price variations between manufactures, some units cost as much as $1800. I will check out your response. Do you think they are capable of serious off road use such as countless corrugations, dust, rain and mud? I look forward to your reply Stay well and thanks again Vidas
AnswerID: 562440

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:57

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:57
We had Sound in Motion fit a camera on the rear of the van, and one in the tail gate of the F250 and both cost around $500. The screen is a fold down type from an overhead console and that cost about $600 plus they charged about $200 installation. In dusty conditions they only need to be cleaned say once a day. In wet conditions they get a film of water over the lens and it makes it almost impossible to see anything, but one the rain stops it clear up again. Again a quick wipe next time you stop will make things very clear again. What you have gotto realized is that they are a WIDE ANGLE lens and as such only things that are 20 to 30 metres behind are clear. They are mainly designed as a reversing aide and as such they are very good. To use them in place of a rear view mirror is not practical as the distances are distorted, much the same as a convex mirror, only more so. I find that they are excellent when towing the caravan if you are overtaking or on duel lanes where you are changing lanes. In the outside mirrors you can see other vehicles but some times is is a little hard to know exactly how close to them you are. With the camera if you can see the complete front of the vehicle in the lane beside you in the camera, then you know that you are at least 1.5 metres in front of it so there is no chance of a collison (being in the same place at the same time) if you change lanes in front of them. Because the F250 has a fold down tail gate, I have placed a chain between the side of the tail gate and the body of the car. This then allows the camera to have the AT35 towing hitch in view. It is then a very simple thing to reverse the vehicle to so that the 2 parts of AT35 are almost touching. Get out and adjust height of caravan coupling then reverse car so that the holes line up. Partner can then place pin in place. No more guess work, no arguements and no requirements for a power wheel. With the OKA they would really only be a useful item to show you what was behind you when reversing. They would be handy when a small car has parked behind you and you need to reverse a bit to get out of a parking bay without backing over it. For towing a large caravan, now that I have had one, I wouldn't want to be with out it. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562441

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:58

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:58
Thanks Brian Yes you are corect re small vehicles parked behind the OKA. my mirors are useles. My major use for the camera is for off road conditions where i have to be careful of trees and other unfriendly objects waiting for me to back into them. Judging from your response they should be fine for this aplication. Hope u are enjoying the Broome area. We stayed at Collyns place much the same time last year. We also camped at Quondong Point where we saw whales close to the beach. which way do you intend to return home Stay well Vidas
AnswerID: 562442

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:59

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:59
I was in Jaycar today and they had a brand new colour camera from memory $150.00 that is waterproof and has all the correct attributes for a reversing camera. I just had a look on the Jaycar website, but looks like it has not made it there yet. I will have to go to Jaycar again later this week and will grab the part number and details.
AnswerID: 562443

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:00

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:00
Thanks G-D. I will check it out. Vidas
AnswerID: 562444

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:01

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:01
Vidas, Re durability of the rear view camera gear, mine survived the rough bush tracks to Expedition NP and Springsure to Tambo via Ka Ka Mundi, Salator Rosa and Goodliff, with lots of corrugations and cattle grids. The mico-wave and the BTi (Omegalec) Battery Charger failed, but the Camera, Receiver and Orion TV, sitting atop the drawer unit in the Toyota, survived without a problem. Like anything electronic these days, the location in the vehicle and the method of mounting need careful attention, as undue vibrations can damage the smallest parts! All the best..................Rob
AnswerID: 562445

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:02

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:02
Speaking of rear view cameras .... If anyone wants to retro-fit a rear view camera to their BT you can do it without drilling a hole in the BT at all. I made a small plate to fix camera bracket to and then attached this to the outer sheeting with Sikaflex. The plate measures about 120mm x 50 mm x 6mm. There is no way the plate will come off until you want to remove it and that will take a little time as I found out when having BT re-sheeted. Looking from the rear the camera is mounted to the right hand side to be reasonably close to the edge extrusion (the grey edge trim with the white plastic clip in trim that covers the screws holding the trim on) because this is where the camera wires run ...all the way to the front and then along the A-frame. Even with the camera favouring the right hand side I can still see bush on both sides of the road when travelling on a single lane road. I used a 6 inch LCD screen to display camera image. Can provide a pic or two if anyone needs to see exactly where and how the system is mounted. It has been on for over 18 months with no mounting probs. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562446

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:03

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:03
The Jaycar monthly flyer arrived in the mail today and below is a picture of the camera I posted about yesterday. The mounting bezel on the camera is of the 30° (approx) to facilitate mounting at desired angle. What about the baby monitor below? I have not looked at it, and no idea about quality of picture, and you would have to arrange external power, but it may work ok. May have a look next time I am in Jaycar.
AnswerID: 562447

Our Sponsors