A Hint For Angie

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:09
ThreadID: 120622 Views:3334 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
As your arrival in the Great South Land and the delivery of your new F250 is now much closer perhaps an e-mail to your Ford dealer may be a wise move.

Tell them that you insist on the genuine Ford wiring harness to the tow plug.

Some dealers sub contract the tow pack fitting and the fitters use scotch locks to connect to the wiring harness at the rear.

BAD MOVE!

Cables will deteriorate and give future problems.
I know 2 F250's delivered this way, both had wiring problems.

Regards
Turist

PS. If stopping at Singapore duty free, single malt 20 yo scotch for this most valuable hint.
Delivery at the Rally OK
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:11

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:11
Thanks Turist, Will pass this on to the boss. Coming through Hong Kong, but will see what I can do LOL. Angie forever to depart more than forever to pick up van.
AnswerID: 562464

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:12

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:12
Err come in Turist big buddy, over. Ford are asking if we want 7 pin round or 7 pin flat? Advice needed please. Babe Over and out.
AnswerID: 562465

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:13

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:13
Bushtracker fit 7 pin LARGE ROUND as standard Angie.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562466

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:14

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:14
Angie, Ask the dealership to use the metal body Utilux female connector on the truck not the plastic one. Its probably a moot point but I prefer the stronger body of the metal type. The 7 pin large gives much less resistance at the connection because of the greater surface area of the larger brass pins. There is a fair current drawn for the clearance lights and the larger connector is better suited ... 14 clearance lights at 5 watt each = 70 div by 12 = nearly 6 amps down the tail light wire ... over quite a distance ! In fact ..when I connected my BT up to my previous 4x4 and turned on the tail lights it blew the fuse because the tail light circuit in the 4x4 couldnt handle the 12 extra lights. No such trouble in F250's , Cruisers or Patrols. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562467

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:15

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:15
G'day Anthony, Speaking of blown fuses.... Since getting my BT in December, I have had 3 blown STOP 10A fuses. When the fuse is blown, the brakes in the van don't work and I have to use the manual override on my Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller to activate brakes. I then pull over, flick the blown fuse out and then install a new 10A fuse and off I go again with no problems. I keep a good supply of 10A fuses for the STOP fuse inlet. It usually occurs every 5,000 kilometres. Tow with a Toyota LC Troopy. Causes? Ideas? Cheers, Michael.
AnswerID: 562468

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:16

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:16
Thanks Turist and Anthony, Ivan has emailed the info through. The salesperson at Strathpine said he sent some photos of our Effie through too but we never received them so he is going to re-send them. This waiting game sucks! Angie
AnswerID: 562469

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:17

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:17
Michael,
Have you checked the installation of the controller.
We found one that was giving similar problems, owner had self installed and was using brake lamp power supply to operate brake magnets. Should only be for "switching" the circuit.
Fuses kept blowing on heavier brake applications when magnets used more current.

Check resistance between ground and brake lamp outlet side of fuse to see if any short to ground.
Aside from that put a meter in the circuit between brake lamp pin on tow plug and trailer and measure current draw when lamps are on. This will show if lamps on trailer are drawing too much current.

Otherwise join the clinic at the rally.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 562470

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:18

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:18
G'day Michael, As Bob has said ... Check the source of power for the "Black Wire" ! It has to go to the battery with a fuse in line rated at 20amp for 1-2 axles. While you are there you can also check the integrity of the others if you like ... White Wire : Goes to a good ground Red Wire : Goes to cold side of brake switch Blue Wire : Goes to trailer socket on vehicle The wire should be at least the minimum size as recommended by Tekonsha. They state for 1-2 axles 14 gauge and 3-4 12 gauge. The wires that need to be this size are the feed from the battery (Black) and the feed to the trailer connector on vehicle (Blue). 14 gauge wire is between 1.5 sq mm and 2.5 sq mm. I'd use 2.5 sq mm for the feed from battery and 4 sq mm for the long run to the trailer socket on vehicle. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562471

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:19

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:19
Thanks Anthony and Bob, Just to clarify the above: If power source is from brake lamp supply (black wire), it needs to be redirected directly to battery with a 20A fuse. Correct? Michael.
AnswerID: 562472

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:20

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:20
Michael, Yep ! I know it goes against most convention ....the black wire (because of the potential high current draw) should go to the battery positive terminal with a 20A fuse as close as practical to the battery terminal. You can use a fuse block that takes "blade fuses" or an auto-resetting circuit breaker ...it looks like a little metal box with two thread posts coming out of it. Below is a pic of my auto reset one for the brake controller .... the auto-resets are sensitive to with direction they like the current to flow ...accordingly one terminal will be marked "Batt" or "To Batt" or "Batt Side" etc. You can also have a look at www.tekonsha.com Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562473

Our Sponsors