Trailer Plug Wiring

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:30
ThreadID: 120643 Views:5890 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
While Travelling across the Bourke Developmental Road (Normanton to Chillagoe) a few weeks ago we hit a very rough patch & somehow the Trailer Plug came adrift - the result was a bit exciting when the plug disintegrated causing an interrmitant short which had the van brakes activating & then deactivating. Pulled up immediately & was rather relieved to find it was only the plug. Anyway purchased a new plug - a story in itself, we now carry a spare - and then found ourselves faced with a bit of a problem. Nine wires & a seven pin plug. Phoned BT & Allan gave me the necessary wiring order - just as an aside how many of the mass production operations would be this helpful? - which is listed below. Might come in handy for someone although I am not sure if all are the same.Bushtracker Trailer Plug Wiring<o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> There are 9 wires in the Bushtracker Trailer Plug cable: <o:p> </o:p> “Thin” <o:p> </o:p> Yellow Brown Green Black Blue Red <o:p> </o:p> “Medium” <o:p> </o:p> Red <o:p> </o:p> “Heavy” <o:p> </o:p> Black – this is actually three cables soldered together at BT Red – 6mm <o:p> </o:p> Wiring Order (into Male Plug)<o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p> Yellow “Heavy” – 6mm Red “Heavy” Black Green “Medium” Red Red Brown <o:p> </o:p> Note: The “Thin” Black & Blue are not used. Andy<o:p></o:p>
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:32

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:32
I did the same thing up in the Gulf country Andy.
Ripped the plug out and destroyed it.
Had to extend the cables all with white wire (all that I had) so I spliced some in 6" back from the damaged end to retain the colour codes.
Had to hold the wires into the socket with tapered sticks.
No plugs in Burketown or Normanton so like you I now carry a spare.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562563

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:33
Andy, Had EXACTLY same experience on the Birdsville track. Plug disintegrated, brakes on etc. Auto repairer in Birdsville fitted new plug after a quick call to Alan at BTI to verify wiring. You're right - I'm not sure the same service would available with other manufacturers. Now carry wiring diagram and spare plaug. However the experience does beg the question - why does it happen? I suspected that a rock had somehow been thrown up, bounced of the drawbar and blew the plug apart. The female part of the plug was also damaged in my case. Maybe it is something worth considering now that at least 3 of us have had the same experience. Some form of protection from fast travelling rocks for the plugs - towing, anderson and camera?
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 562564

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:34

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:34
I had a plug come out on the rough roads around Bulia on our previous camper trailer and was lucky enough to be able to buy a new one there. There are not many places in Queensland that stock the larger 7 pin plugs as Queenslanders seem to use the smaller diameter plugs. In my case I believe it was probably caused by not clipping it in properly. On our F250 while doing a bit of hard 4WDing we ripped the female end off the car, now that was hard to get replaced in the outback. When I did I fitted it higher up in the bumper bar to prevent it happening again. I have recently taken the advise of others who know a lot more about electrics than me, and fitted a charging wire through an Anderson Plug. I have used heavy 8mm diameter wires and there does not appear to be any voltage drop between the car batteries and the caravan batteries. Like Anthony I think I will hav to replace the van batteries soon. I have noticed lately that they can be fully charged at night and with only the fridge using power, be down to 12.3 volts in the morning. They quickly charge up fully using generator and 50 amp charger, so I think it might be a case of them loosing their efficiency after 2.5 years. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 562565

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:35
As an adjunct to Andy's list .... This is what they power/used for ... Pin 1. Yellow - Left Hand Turn Signal Pin 2. Heavy Red -To BT batteries ... charge wire. Pin 3. Black/s -Earth return Pin 4. Green - Right Hand Turn Signal Pin 5. Med Red - BT brakes Power Supply Pin 6. Red - Stop Lights Pin 7. Brown Tail and Clearance Lights (all 12-14 of them) Boggers should print the releveant info in this thread and add it to BT owners manual. The new website should/will have an area for tech info of this type. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562566

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:36

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:36
I understand from talking to various people that vibration is exaggerated at the rear of the tow vehicle and causes the problem - it is not necessarily just a case of the nut working loose, in some cases the thread on the retainer bolt disintegrates through wear if there is any slack at all in the mounting hole. My wiring connection was in danger of falling off (but I detected it first) - I think I have now fixed the prioblem by using a stainless stell bolt which is threaded tight in the retaining hole, nut and lock nut, and LocTite. Phil
AnswerID: 562567

Our Sponsors