Mobile Internet

Submitted: Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:05
ThreadID: 120655 Views:7861 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, We travel all the time and our BT is home. For some time now we have been researching to find an inexpensive way to have the internet connected on our laptop. Until now we have found that most of the internet connections via mobile phones works out to be expensive. We found out about a new product last week that has only been available for a week or so and thought we would share this information incase anyone else is interested. <o:p></o:p> Telstra has a device that slots into the PCMCIA slot on your computer. It is a CDMA phone in the form of a card that is used to access the internet. You insert the card and select ‘connect’ and you have access to the internet. It is not incredibly fast but our experience with it so far is not unlike speeds we have previously experienced in some internet cafes. There are three ways to connect, dial up, 1x and hot spots <o:p></o:p> So how much is it? Telstra have two plan options: 1) 12 month contract, $49 per month, 20 hours internet time, no fees to dial up. $450 up front for the card. $1.98 charge per hour if you use more than 20 hours (calculated by the minute). 2) 24 month contract, $99 per month, 50 hours internet time, no fees to dial up. No upfront fee for the card. At the end of 12 months if you want out the fee to terminate the contract is only $225. $1.98 charge per hour if you use more than 20 hours (calculated by the minute). <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> We have found it simple to use are very happy with it. We hope that this information helps anyone else out there looking for options on mobile internet. <o:p></o:p> Matt and Jodie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:07

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:07
I just use my CDMA phone on the $20.00 plan to connect to the Internet for up to 20 minutes at a time in the free My Hour. Normally I only use e-mail on the road and send a few photos, and generally a 20 minute connection is sufficient. On the few occasions I need to download large files I use the freeware GetRight which continues downloads after disconnection and dial-up again for another 20 minutes. You can get 1 hour and 15 minutes in the free My Hour.
AnswerID: 562638

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:08

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:08
HI,
can you give some more info about how you actually connect your phone...
is it thru a laptop?
is it via USB or PCMCIA?
who is your ISP that offers "freetime" ?
Thanks
David
AnswerID: 562639

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:09

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:09
Freetime on the mobile phone, not from the ISP. The Hyundai TX60B is available from Telstra on their 24 month $20.00 plan which gives you the bonus option of the free hour a day or any of the five bonus options. The TX60B is a good phone with great reception. Telstra does not have the USB cables in their system - for some unknown reason. However, the genuine Hyundai USB cables complete with software are available and in stock for $69.00 and $5.00 overnight air express postage from: Genuine Mobile Accessories Phone 1300 662 111 GMA Shop website The phone and cable is USB and is quick and easy to setup. I know many people that have connected to the Internet first time after hooking up the Hyundai. Hopefully by next week Friday I will have a full pictorial information on my website. I have a Hyundai TX60B and cable that has just arrived on loan so I can put up a website about it. My website is partially finished and getting there Bits & Pieces. If you are on the $20.00 plan, and you phone up in the "My Hour" it costs you nothing for the time you are connected as long as you do not go over 19 minutes and 55 seconds at a time. The Bonus Options on the $20.00 plan can be view here: http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/mobiles/prices/ph_plans.htm I think the large majority of people take the "My Hour". It is a fabulous deal. If you sign up on the $20.00 plan, that includes the Hyundai TX60B mobile phone. If you use an ISP like Dodo at $9.90 a month is a good option while on the road. The $9.90 only gives you 70Mb download a month, however, by mobile phone you are unlikely to get close to that. They have a $14.00 capped charge even if you did manage to get over that. Every Mb after 70Mb is 14 cents.
AnswerID: 562640

Our Sponsors