Help with Multi-Weigh

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:02
ThreadID: 120662 Views:6232 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After becoming the proud owner of an 18 ft Bushtracker, and being conscious of the safety aspects of towing a van, I decided to purchase a Multi-Weigh from Maytow to enable the "towball" weight and ATM of the van to be measured and calculated. Here is where my problems started. TARE weight of Bushtracker 2320kgs Suspension capacity 3000kgs By jacking up each side in turn and then the hitch and noting the readings on the mult-weigh I come to the conclusion that I am overloaded e.g. RHS 1500 kgs LHS 1500 kgs Hitch 225 kgs ATM 3225 kgs If, instead of jacking up the van with the Multi-Weigh, I lower the van onto the Multi-Weigh I get the following measurements which indicate I am not overloaded. RHS 1300 kgs LHS 1340 kgs Hitch 200 kgs ATM 2840 kgs I would appreciate any feedback
Living Life to the Fullest in a BT
Membership Registrar - Pam

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:04

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:04
Focs18, For some reason these things are getting a reputation as not being too accurate or the accuracy is not repeatable. For the best accuracy the BT has to on a level surface and the chassis parallel to the ground via spirit level .... Try to weigh the BT with the jack at about 50% of the stroke of the ram.... via timber spacers Also ...the more a van tips left or right the more weight is taken by the other wheels and the jockey ... so to as even as possible if you lift the left say 20mm up from when wheels leave ground ..do the same on the other side ...wheels leave ground +20mm. The higher you go (in an arc pivoting from the opposite tyre centre) the more weight is transferred to the other side .... Make sure you place the jack in exactly the same position on the chassis from left to right ..... a good position would be about 50mm back towards the rear from the simplicity suspension spring pack bolt. Note ...the centreline of the simplicity suspension between the wheels is not necessarily the centre line of weight, fore-aft. The only real way to get a good weigh of the BT would be to have three Maytows holding the BT off the ground completely and read all three. Also ..eliminate the jockey wheel (wind it up off ground) as it is different to the centre line of the BT from left to right ....that is .... place a car stand under the front A-frame plate so as you weigh from left side to right side the BT pivots on its centre line ... place the Maytow to measure the front weight where the car stand is ..... The above is just my thoughts none of it is from Maytow .... Might be time for a weighbridge .... after a new weigh using above ?? Hope this Helps ! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ..Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562665

Reply By: focs18 - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:05

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:05
Anthony, Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I had similar thought when and when taking measurments I applied most of the critera you mentioned. However my main concern is that it appears the Multi-Weigh is measuring the force (in kgs) to lift the caravan but not measuring the down force of the van after the jacking stops. Without pulling the unit apart I do not know the engineering of the system to confirm this theory.<o:p></o:p> I was hoping that other members, who own a Multi-Weigh, would relate their experiences.<o:p></o:p> I originally considered the unit faulty and sent it back, but the replacement is the same.<o:p></o:p> By using another method (levers and bathroom scales) to measure the hitch weight I have convinced myself that the correct way of using these units is to lower the van onto the unit.<o:p></o:p> I will confirm my theory by visiting a <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Public</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName>Way</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>Bridge</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p> <o:p> </o:p> Chris<o:p></o:p>
Living Life to the Fullest in a BT
Membership Registrar - Pam

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 562666

Reply By: Cracker - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:06

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:06
I hope you get a result from your research - as I'm needing to buy somthing to weigh my van.

I was just in the throws of ordering a "maytow" jack from the blokes in S.A. when I saw your post.

Is there another method available .......anyone ?

Cracker
AnswerID: 562667

Our Sponsors