VC Coupling

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:48
ThreadID: 120665 Views:3481 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Vehicle Components produce several items that are fitted to Bushtracker vans, the standard AT35 tow coupling is one of them.
At times I have experienced some difficulty disconnecting this coupling, usually after jacknifing into a tight spot or when the vehicles are on very rough ground and there is some stress on the pin.
Re-connecting on rough ground can also prove to be a little difficult at times.

I have just fitted another type of coupling made by Vehicle Components, the Model VC.
This coupling uses a 6 tonne ring on the van that fits onto a tapered cone.
Under the cone is a ball/socket connection that is sealed from dust by a rubber boot.

This coupling is not as "flexible" as the AT35 but I think that it will have sufficient movement for creek crossings, river beds and rough ground.
The AT35 moves up to 33º and will rotate 360º although the rotation effect is lost when weight distribution hitches are fitted.
The VC coupling will move 27º in all directions but does not rotate.
But as mentioned the rotation is not affective with WD hitches anyway.

The main benefit that I see is the ease of hooking up and de-coupling.
Just a matter of locating the ring over the taper cone and lowering the drawbar.
By the time we get to the Rally I should have a full report on the suitability of this coupling, although Conrad has ben using one for a few years and has been through the Kimberly etc with no problems.

Photos of the VC coupling in the album.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:50

Saturday, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:50
I have added some photos of the rotating ring coupling for the VC6.

The heavy duty jack attached to the drawbar is also made by Vehicle Components.
Takes all the bounce out of the van that you get when on the inflatable jockey wheel.

Rob Buchanan from Vehicle Components will be at the rally for a few days, bringing his camper trailer, so you will be able to ask about thier products.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562679

Our Sponsors