Maintenance of Bushtracker. Screws

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:55
ThreadID: 120679 Views:3184 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After travelling along some very rough roads in the Kimberleys we found that some screws had worked loose on the internal door hinges, and when one gets loose after a while the fatugue on the hinge will eventually cause it to break. When a couple broke I checked all hinge screws and found that a number had worked themselves loose over the past 3 years. (I have not previously checked any screws since picking up the van 3 years ago) While cleaning the van yesterday I found a window screw half out so checked all the others and most screws on all windows had loosened off a little, due to corrigations. I suggest that all owners who go on rough corrigated roads with their Bushtrackers, should check the tightness of all screws on a regular basis. This is NOT a BTi defect, just a fact of life that screws will work themselves loose when subjected to severe corrigations over a period of time. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:57
Hi Brian, many thanks for telling us about your screws that are loose. Ivan had the same problem the other day on the massage table and I tried not to laugh when reading your posting because there are some smart Boggers that will put their own interpretation on this result of perpetual motion. Of course, far be it from me to be one of them. LOL. The Babe and Buck 3 sleeps to go until we fly out 6 sleeps to go until we pick up the Effie ? sleeps to go until we pick up the BT
AnswerID: 562747

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:58
Screws that vibrate loose, I take out and give a light coating of contact cement, let them dry for twenty minutes and then screw back in. When you put the screw back in the contact cement rolls up into little balls and wedges between the thread and prevents them from vibrating out. Removing the screws at a later date is not an issue. Where screws are threaded into aluminium this has proven to be the superior solution. We use this method on all the chainsaws and have done for longer than I can remember, and never have screws vibrating loose. Another one I have found good over the years is clear nail varnish, and always have a bottle in the tool box. In particular where I use nail varnish is on threads like terminals where the screw thread is still visible. A little round the top of the thread works like magic, and the screw can still easily be removed.
AnswerID: 562748

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:59

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:59
Slightly off the topic, but kinda related. I'm sure many have experienced the problem of small screws coming loose from spectacle frames (admittedly, I haven't been on corrugations so bad as to cause that, but you never know...) . Nail polish is the way to go to fix that problem as well. Phil
AnswerID: 562749

Reply By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:00
Angie Did you say that you had a loose screw the other day when Ivan was on the massage table? Or was it a screw that came loose? rotfl tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562750

Reply By: Wadefarers - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:01
Angie Well picked up Jay and surprised Anthony has not made a comment, but I am "not" touching that one. (Copeton is too close) Have a good and safe trip back to the land of OZ. At least you will have two reasons not to sleep for one period, one being the BATTS , the other the plane trip. Best wishes and regards Jeff
AnswerID: 562751

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:02
Jeff, I'm full of keyboard bravado when Angie is on the other side of the world but seeing as she is in the same city as me (in a few days) I'm as quiet as a titmouse ! [HenpeckedSmile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562752

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:03
If you look carefully you will see that I was nowhere near Ivan's massage table when it happened - NO, I SAID CAREFULLY!!!!! Anthony - wise answer. Angie is heading your way. Others - When you least expect it,expect it!! Angie 1 sleep to go until we fly out 3 sleeps to go until we pick up Effie ? sleeps to go until we pick up the BT
AnswerID: 562753

Our Sponsors