F-Series 7.3L increased towing capacity

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:48
ThreadID: 120684 Views:6466 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
For those interested in F-Series. Ford has announced that following the conclusion of local (assume Australia) engineering validation the towing capacity on 7.3litre turbo diesel models has increased from 3,500kg to 4,500kg. The 5.4L remains unchanged. This is of course if the vehicle is fitted with Australian Design Rules compliant tow bar (currently Ford don't make one but are working on it) for 4,500kg. If you happen to have an F350 -well it won't do you alota good as you can't fit a 4,500kg tow bar because of the chassis rail fitted to that series! The web site has been reportedly updated to advise the increased F-series towing capacity for conventional towing and fifth wheel towing information. We have been talking to our local Ford dealer. Cheers, Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:50

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:50
This is good news for those that want to carry more than 3500kg in their BT's especially as it is very easy to upgrade the simplicity suspension from 3500 to 4500kg ish. What you have to keep in mind though ....This is an increase in the tow capacity and an increase in the Gross Combined Mass (GCM= total weight of vehicle and van)but it is NOT an increase in Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM= the weight of vehicle including all passengers, accessories, fuel and ballweight etc). It stays the same ... Sorry Andy ! [wink] The following is for the Crew Cab off the Ford website (see www.ford.com.au for others) .... GCM now 9071kg (mine now is 7323kg) GVM still 4219kg Rear Axle max weight still 2760kg Front Axle max weight still 2241kg Tow Capacity 4500kg (with ADR and Aust Standards App towbars andWDH) This is good news for those wanting their BT's, that might be borderline 3500kg fully loaded, to be legal up to 4500kg both in ATM and able to be towed by F250 legal. This will allow a bit of a rethink maybe for those where the F250 is approaching its GVM ...you could place some of the tow vehicle load into BT .... you are still carrying the weight but its in the BT ??? Food for thought .... For those potentially running near 3500kg in the BT ... a towbar change ....coupling change ... and BT suspension upgrade (spring pack) is an easy solution. The 1000lb/450kg WD hitch would be advisable also ...instead of 750lb340kg model. It would also be prudent to see if this applies to all models back to '01 or just the current '04 on .... Mmmmm !!! 250kg of coffee beans and 250 litres of wine extra .... and a full meat carcass in the cool safe !!! Yahoo ! [wink] Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 562790

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:51

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:51
YAY! THREE CHEERS! WHOOPEE!! I spoke to Ford Customer Service today and all that is required is to install the Ford approved tow bar and they are in the country as of this posting. There is nothing on the F250 that indicates a particular towing capacity/limitation; the door panel only refers to carrying capacities. The plate on the tow bar/hitch receiver controls the towing capacity and now we will have a plate that says 4500! I am advised by BTi that the suspension on my BT - I assume everyones' BT that has the larger commercial package - actually is rated to 4000 kg. There is a 4400 kg leaf package that can be substituted. Going to the weighbridge with full tanks et cetera to learn true weight and decided whether to upgrade the spring package. I have requested Pacific Ford in Maroochy to cost the new installation; I will upgrade the Reese 46970 (I think that is the number) to the next size and utilize a "D" ring hitch as is used by Steve Gibbs and Conrad. I have for sale - we can talk price at Copeton - a TrailBoss 3500 hitch receiver, Reese 46970 hitch and WDH bars, and an AT-35. The upgrade will be done in October as we will return to the Sunshine Coast before going to Melbourne. I want to conclude the process before going to Tasi next year. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 562791

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:52

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:52
Jay
Have a look at the VC6 hitch, photo in the album.
Eliminates the rattles and wear associated with 'D' rings.
Today I started to fit a rotating ring coupling to the drawbar.
Pics in the next few days.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 562792

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:53

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:53
Hi Spoke to Ford Melbourne regarding the upgrade. The new "Ford" 4500kg tow bar will not be available until November. Still researching whether I will be able to use my existing Reese hitch head. Went to Veh Comp today and looked at the ring and cone. The ring is a big sucker - wow! Look forward to seeing the setup at Copeton. Cheers, Jay
AnswerID: 562793

Our Sponsors