LED Lighting alternative to Dicroic Lamp

Submitted: Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:00
ThreadID: 121383 Views:9556 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I tried a MR16 12V 21 LED lamp in place of the 20 watt dicroic lamp in a bed lamp and was very happy with the performance. It draws SBA and naturally, does not get warm. Big energy savings to be made here. They are not as bright as dicroic but are bright enough. A combination of fluros and LEDs is the way to go. I have a 2-LED lamp as a night light in the ensuite and also a 1-LED lamp mounted in the ceiling which is aimed at a brass marine clock. These night lights are on permamently on a lighting circuit(not switched). I have since ordered a total of five to replace all dicroic lamps. I got them from Keith at
http://www.ledshoponline.com/
Service is excellent.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2004 at 23:59

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2004 at 23:59
Ernie, What is the price of the globes that you have fitted?

Does the 2 LED lamp in toilet give sufficient light to get a good aim, or is it a bit hit and miss? {smile}
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564759

Reply By: Cobradave - Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 23:02

Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 23:02
Brian,
I have replaced the 3 x 20W halogens with the MR16 lamps mentioned above and am also happy with the result. In summary, for those wanting to light up the room, forget it, for those wanting to read at say 500mm distance, perfect.
I have also installed a single 15000 mcd led in the ceiling of the ensuite, believe me you won't have a accident unless the lid is shut ! I have also insalled a couple of the leds at floor height to prevent stubbing toes at night.
AnswerID: 564760

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 06:08

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 06:08
Thanks Ernie and Dave,

I took your advice and went to www.ledshoponline.com and spent some money with them.

I bought the MR16 21LED lamp for $20 which is a lot less than the one I bought at the local lighting shop and gives out a lot more light also. They only use 0.1 Amp so can be left on all night if you want to.

I too would recommend BT owners that want to save power in their reading lights to install these LED replacement lamp globes.

While spending money I thought that I would try the 24 LED Mag light style 3 cells torch for $45.46 and the 9 LED Headlamp $36.36. They also both give out a good light. Not as good as the mag light but they use a lot less power and the batteries will last much longer.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564761

Our Sponsors