Webasto Heaters - Diesel fuel

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:00
ThreadID: 121384 Views:9858 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
When we were in Derby, we put about 15lts of Diesel into our container for the Webasto Heater to run on. We are now in Victoria and still using the same fuel. The other day while free camping near Ballarat the heater stopped during the night when the outside temperature went down below zero. When I inspected the fuel in my temporary fuel line I found that it had gone to jelly and stopped flowing. With an increase in temperature it returned to the liquid state and is still running the heater. Aparently the fuel companies put a substance they call "wax" in the diesel for use in warmer climates and when this fuel is used in very cold southern climates it turns to jelly. Anthony probably knows a lot more about this than I do. As Copeton is not very far from the areas of NSW that often get down below freezing at night at this tiome of the year it, may be beneficial for Queensland BOG members who are attending to obtain fuel from that area that does not contain wax so that your heaters will continue to work. All those from the southern states should not have a problem. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:02

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:02
I had the same problem at Benaraby (Gladstone) -1c at 1am only three weks ago, Who said Qld don't get cold. I should have known it was cold, I had refiled the rum's 3 times and not neded to add more ice. Graham
AnswerID: 564762

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:03

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:03
Brian, et al, Lets see if we can clear the waters a bit .... Fact ....Wax is in all diesel ..it is in there to help with Cetane rating. Think of cetane rating as the same as octane rating of petrols. Fact ... As the diesel fuel temperature lowers the wax forms into crystals. The point at which this does this is called the "Cloud Point". The wax crystallises and blocks filters and lines. (Webasto shutdown from fuel starvation (crystal blockage)). The best way to describe this is ... its like a 1/2 cup of sugar in half cup of hot water, it will dissolve. Place this solution in the fridge and crystals of sugar (wax) will form. Same as going south in winter with summer fuel. Fact ... Oil companies manipulate the cloud point of diesel depending on the month. May is generally considered the limit of using summer diesel (high cloud point) and switch to winter diesel ( low cloud point). A little known fact .... There is a diesel fuel known as "Alpine Diesel" with a very low cloud point. As the name suggests going into the Alpine regions of Victoria in winter you better have this diesel in your tank ...least you be beside the road instead of travelling along it !! The typical webasto problem , that is, summer diesel from Derby in Brian's case taken into winter Victoria and therefore causing wax crystallisation is usually avoided in the vehicle because it runs out of fuel every 500 k or so. This by necessity makes you fill with fuel that is more suited to the temp as you head south or as winter approaches ....May is the changeover for most cases at the bowsers. The best solution for Brian (and others possibly) is to drop the fuel outta the webasto tank now and fill it with winter diesel for Copeton. Use the summer diesel up by throwing in 5 litres max (in cold areas) every tank fill on the vehicle until used up. Alternately keep it in a drum until Oct- Nov and use it in vehicle or in webasto then .... Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 564763

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:04

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:04
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.
AnswerID: 564764

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:05

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:05
Waxing Fuel In Webasto System.

Don't dump the summer grade diesel, just add about 10-20% kerosene and it will defeat the evil wax.

I checked with Webasto this morning to be sure;
Webasto heaters are quite happy running on Diesel, Kerosine, Heating Oil, Lighting Oil and even Citonella Oil.

Maybe the Citronella will keep the mossies away, probably smells better, might give it a go.

Best regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564765

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:06

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:06
Hey Bob,
What about the Thetford output ? It has be as potent as kero !
Regards,David

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:BushtrackerOwnersGroup@groups.msn.com]
Sent: Thursday, 12 August 2004 10:54 AM
To: Bushtracker Owners Group
Subject: Re: Webasto Heaters - Diesel fuel

-----------------------------------------------------------

New Message on Bushtracker Owners Group

Message 5 in Discussion

Waxing Fuel In Webasto System.

Don't dump the summer grade diesel, just add about 10-20% kerosene and it
will defeat the evil wax.

I checked with Webasto this morning to be sure; Webasto heaters are quite
happy running on Diesel, Kerosine, Heating Oil, Lighting Oil and even
Citonella Oil.

Maybe the Citronella will keep the mossies away, probably smells better,
might give it a go.

Best regards
Turist

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your
E-mail Settings.
http://groups.msn.com/BushtrackerOwnersGroup/_emailsettings.msnw

Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member
Services.
http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help

For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
http://groups.msn.com/contact

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you
received this message by mistake, please click the 'Remove' link below. On
the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click 'Send'. Your
e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
mailto:BushtrackerOwnersGroup-remove@groups.msn.com

AnswerID: 564766

Reply By: Cracker - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:07

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:07
Add heating oil to the diesel and it will not freeze. I am currntly in the Victorian snow fields ( Mt Buller ), and this is what they are selling here - called Alpine diesel. Cracker
AnswerID: 564767

Our Sponsors