Dust getting into canopy

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 08:40
ThreadID: 121385 Views:3945 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have an F250 ute fitted with a Carry Boy canopy. I have tried to seal the rear tailgate using foam rubber glued to the it and the tub but on out back roads I still got dust in. I have just received a message from Roger (Hayite) and he said that he has installed a vent in the top of his canopy similar to that used on many caravans to create a possitive air pressure inside. Roger said that his works very good and he didn't get any dust in on his recent trip to Kimberleys and Tanami. Has anyone else with a canopy tried this or any other method of keep dust out. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 20:37

Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 20:37
Brian after playing around with various methods I believe that I may have finally cured the dust entry problem into the canopy area.
On each trip I have found a different dust entry point around the tailgate area.
At first I put neoprene foam tape around the tub edges and that reduced the dust by around 80% but it still got in.
On each susequent trip I have located another way that the rotten stuff gets in and sealed that point.
After the last trip we had very little dust, just a light smear and I have found how that got in and hopefullyy sealed the entry point.
The next trip will tell if it is now dust tight.

Difficult to describe what has been done, best have a look at Copeton.

I do not favour the idea of a 'pressure vent' as I believe that it will allow dust to enter when you are in a dust cloud formed by another vehicle or by windy conditions.
The fresh air system in the cab is an example of that.
I find it necessary to keep the air on re-cycle in dusty conditions or you get a film of dust in the cab.

Bulldust will go wherever air will travel so it is sure to get in through a pressure vent if you are in a dust cloud.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564768

Our Sponsors