LPG - DIESEL

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 15, 2004 at 07:58
ThreadID: 121389 Views:3373 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
For all of you with big rigs ( or soon to be ) this might help the hip pocket with the ever increasing fuel costs, that is if this information is to be belived ? it looks good www.difflock.com/lpg/LPG-Diesel.shtml bugswatter2
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:27

Sunday, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:27
Diesel engines can tolerate about 25% LPG. I spoke with a semi driver who had the conversion. He claimed better fuel consuption and good power. the tank fited to his truck was huge. Vidas
AnswerID: 564781

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 05:06

Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 05:06
Spoke to the supplier on this 18 months ago. Although concetually exciting, the price tag ($5000 plus) at the time meant no possibility of ROI (return on investment). At that price, big rigs on full time commercial runs would be the only ones to see a net benefit. Regs Griff
AnswerID: 564782

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 06:09

Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 06:09
LPG injection for diesels is not new ... there has been a kit for Navistars (F250 engine) for 2 years that I know of .....many owners of powerstrokes in the USA have fitted their own as well. LPG injection is a form of power increase ...it does this by allowing more fuel to be burnt in the cylinder per injection. It does this by raising the octane/cetane of the fuel making the compressed mixture in the cylinder more volatile if you like. This in turn creates higher cylinder pressures when ignited and thus more power. It effectively increases the compression ratio ...as does a Turbocharger ..as does a Supercharger ... as does Nitrous injection. LPG injection in a diesel at 25 % will raise power output between 25-60 %. In a 7.3 Turbo Navistar you would be looking at 80-100 horsepower. In most cases the Exhaust Gas Temp will rise some 50 deg F with the addition of lpg injection. This will rise further when towing a heavy load so a EGT gauge is a wise investment. It is also a simple fact that if you raise power levels in an engine you lower the service life of the engine. LPG injection for a Navistar is about $600 US ... Ford USA would kill to be able to raise the power of a Navistar 80-100 horsepower and keep its service life the same ! I would also like to see some data on piston ring life with a diesel already running 17 psi boost with the turbo and then you increase cylinder pressure markedly again ...forcing the rings against the bore even more ??? Another clue for ME anyway, is .... one lpg kit manufacturer says its easy to remove for a trip to your ford dealer (servicing) ...without a trace !! Mmmmmmmm !!! As far as I'm aware not one manufacturer the likes of Cummins, Mack, Kenworth, Volvo, Caterpillar, International etc endorse lpg injection on their engines ....with full engine warranty still intact from the manufacturer. Also ..if diesel emissions (the bad ones) are greatly reduced with lpg inj Volvo Europe would have it on quick smart .... Thats not to say they might not be experimenting with it now at lower injection percentages ....to lower emissions ? I'm not saying dont have a fiddle with it on, say, a non-turbo Hi-lux that wouldnt pull a skin off a vanilla custard ...but on a very expensive, new, TDI diesel of any make ... I'd get as much info as possible !! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 564783

Our Sponsors