Bourke in Spring 2004

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 01:34
ThreadID: 121416 Views:8022 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day BOGers, Leigh and I are working at Bourke Hospital for a few weeks and have found the area a fascinating destination. Unfortunately this tidy town suffers with a little bit of a bad reputation, but it's well worth a visit to the area. Henry Lawson wrote, "If you know Bourke, you know Australia". There is some fascinating history here and there are tours on both land and water to get in touch with the past. The first white explorers in the area were Sturt and Hume were checking the place out in 1829. Firstly they climbed Mt Oxley, about 40 km east of Bourke. It's a flat topped 308 met high mountian that stands like a watch tower over the surrounding plains. Wedge-tailed eagles and Euros (like a small 'roo) live on the mountain and there are some mystery craters on the top. It is now on part of "Rossmore" station that is run by Bill and Denise Stalley. They have some huts for accomodation or of course there is room to take a van. A section of sealed road provides access to the top of the mountain (sealed to prevent erosion on the access road to a collection on communication towers on the eastern end). Over the past few weeks there has been a bit of rain - sufficient to make the country look very pretty and result in some beautiful wildflowers in the red sand country about 60 km north east of Bourke. Well worth a look, but I'm not sure just how long they will remain. There are plenmty more buds out there, so probably still good for a while yet. The "Jandra" is a paddle-wheeled river boat that operates on the Darling River (Sturt found the river a month after being on Mt Oxley) which was once a very busy water way for the export of wool and other produce down to the Murray and beyond. There are regular cruises so plenty of opportunity to sit back and take a trip into days gone by. The Bourke Information Centre has a wealth of maps, brochures and knowldge about things to see in Bourke and beyond. The locals have been very friendly and welcoming and always willing to pass on a bit of info about things to do - places to see. Because of the drought, Bourke, and towns like it, have suffered. If you are looking for an interesting place to visit, think of Bourke. I have put some pix of the wildflowers on a WEBSHOTS site I use to share photos.http://community.webshots.com/album/183360017anVKVp If that doesn't work then try http://community.webshots.com/user/bizman17 and find the Bourke album. Denise and Bill Stalley at "Rossmore" for Mt Oxley are at www.outbackbeds.com.au/mtoxley or stalley@aussie.net. Phone 02 6872 3275. Hope to see a few Bushtrackers pull through town. Cheers Peter (efftrucker) BT = Built Tough
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 06:21

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 06:21
Most people think you have to go to Western Australia to see wild flowers, you have prooved that western NSW has lots to see. Great Photos Peter Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564894

Our Sponsors