Storage and Electric Brakes

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 00:53
ThreadID: 121420 Views:3242 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
If you store a car for more than a few months, you should always leave the handbrake off due to the risk otherwise of the calipers/slave cylinders developing surface rust which can prevent the brakes fromreturning to their normal positon - which can cause 'permanent' binding of the brakes in the ON position. (I had this happen on an old car that I was restoring, and there is little option but to replace the cylinders.)

But with a BT fitted with electric brakes, what is the situation? My van is in offsite storage and I prefer to leave the handbrake on as a safety meaure, but is there a risk of rusting/binding or does the electric mechanism fundamentally differ from the hydraulic system on a car so that this is not a risk?

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:07

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:07
Phil, You should have no problem leaving the BT handbrake on for extended periods. The shoes are actuated via a cam with a spring return so it is a mechanical system as against mechanical/hydraulic. I have left my BT handbrake on for 3 months or so. The only check I do is to see that the lever the cable is connected to (behind the drum) returns to its off position and is free moving ... which it has every time. Every two years max (one with extended travel) I'd get the brakes inspected for wear, adjusted and cleaned (wheel bearing check as well). If that is done extended handbrake on periods should be fine. As a side note .... I have used Silicone brake fluid in my restored low k cars as it does not absorb moisture or mark paintwork around the brakes. There are some trade offs but for the street it is fine. Dot 4 fluid is still fine but it needs re-newing every year to keep brake system moisture at a minimum ... every two for a daily driver. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 564900

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:21

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:21
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.
AnswerID: 564901

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:24

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:24
Anthony,

Again you have come to the rescue with all the answers - many thanks,

Phil
AnswerID: 564902

Our Sponsors