CAMEC Flat Screen LCD Television

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:59
ThreadID: 121421 Views:3989 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased a 15" Flat Screen LCD Television from Camec that operates on 12 volt through a cigarette lighter plug or via a 240volt adaptor. In the operating instructions that came with the set it said that it has to be set up for Australian conditions and described how to do it. After trying to follow the instructions provided for a couple of days, I eventually gave up and took it around to our local Television Repair shop for help. He couldn't do it either, but he rang Camec and they informed him that the wrong instructions had been put in the box and described to him how to adjust it. Now that it is adjusted properly I am a little disappointed with the picture quality. The stations that are being received on a good signal are very clear, but those that are on a poorer signal are no where near as good as those that are received on the older normal style Televisions operating on the same antenna in our home. Here in Noosa we get WIN Television via about 4 transmitters on different frequencies, but the new LCD Television is only picking up one of them. If anyone is buying one of these Televisions make sure that you get the correct instructions on how to set it up for Austalian Conditions. It requires a different setting to the World Wide setting that it came with. You would think that CAMEC would have stipulated that they be set for Australia when they were being made. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:51

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:51
Some time ago I had
an issue with Camec in Brisbane, they were unable and unwilling to make a
small effort to provide me with what I wanted to buy from them until I contacted
their head office in Melbourne. In Bne, they were not prepared to source a
product from an existing supplier "because it was not something that they
usually kept in stock".
One phone call
to the right place got things moving to my satisfaction, albeit without an
apology, please or thank you for my business.

Camec head office
03-97996477

Regards,David
AnswerID: 564903

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:34

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:34
I had a bad experience at Camec on Monday. They refused to take a business cheque which is their right I suppose. They would not even accept a cheque for clearance then freight the item to my work at my cost when cleared. Never mind the 80 k round trip... I went away empty handed. I cant believe how unfriendly the staff are ...its like you are annoying them if you want to buy something. There is a sad vibe coming from the counter people ...shame really ! I stopped at a very small caravan supplies near home on the way back. They said they will order it from Camec and sell it to me for the same price ...and take a business cheque ...item arrived in 24 hrs. Spent $150 via business cheque and then proceded to stock up (toilet chemical etc) and spent another $150 of my own. Camec wont go broke not getting my money ... they get it if the local guy uses them for supply anyway ... but I can now save the drive and get friendly service. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 564904

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:00

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:00
Anthony, You should have put it on Visa, and then they would have received a fee for your Visa transaction. Brian

AnswerID: 564905

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:24

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:24
Pretty interesting (and disappointing) the attitude some companies have to customers and payment mechanisms.

I have purchased quite a lot of stuff from ARB Accessories - and I should say here that the staff have been fantastic and I am very happy with their products as well.

Now I needed a very small replacement clip for my swing-out spare wheel carrier - they had them in ctock and they cost less than $10. But they wouldn't accept a credit card order over the phone to mail me the item - I had to drive to their main store.

Goodness knows what you would do if you were stuck in the middle of nowhere and needed something serious in replacement parts!

Phil
AnswerID: 564906

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:11

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:11
Hey Jan,

You must be
joking. To expect a retailer to refund a purchase made in good faith is not
reasonable. The product was not faulty and you paid the price. In this
case I don't blame them for being unfriendly. Camec-bashing is not what this
thread is about.
David
AnswerID: 564907

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 00:38

Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 00:38
Brian, The Surgery doesnt have a Visa card (imagine me let loose with one of them) so I couldnt. I wanted to pay via business cheque as the item was for the Waeco fridge that carries vaccines whilst doing house calls. I was intending to place MY items on my Visa but when they refused my cheque ......on principal ... any money was not good enough .... in my opinion. The other van place loved my money !! <smile> Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 564908

Reply By: Rockgoc - Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 03:52

Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 03:52
Yep we too had some real nasty "service" from Camec in Brisbane back in March when we were setting up the van and we had some serious spending to do. The staff's attitude was exactly as if we were interrupting something MUCH more important to them...to the point where we had to ask them to serve us! Then when ,horror of horrors, we dared to return a washing machine (the day after we purchased it)because we could buy it $200.00 cheaper elsewhere they couldn't refund us because that wasn't possible, and then when they eventually did begrudgingly give it back, they virtually told us don't come back! We did have to return and spend a further $400.00 with them, but now I try everything in my power to source from anywhere but them if I need anything. Hmmm and all this time I thought it was just me and my high expectations of customer service! Incidentally, does anyone know of anywhere else you can buy that green flooring like shade cloth for annexes? I heard that it's available from Camec...........oh and just one more thing......ARB gave us the royal service treatment too, and they are just over the road from Camec. Maybe Camec could do with some observation on how to treat customers! So endeth the rant! Cheers from Jan O
AnswerID: 564909

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Sep 28, 2004 at 17:20

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2004 at 17:20
Hi Jan

You can buy the shadecloth flooring through Opposite Lock stores for a very reasonable price.
Regards

George & Lesley
FollowupID: 843892

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 05:43

Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 05:43
We bought the shade cloth stuff from Bunnings - there is a good range of colours, and it is wide enough that you don't need any joins. The wife folded and hemmed the edges for strength on her normal sewing machine (but I think she used special waxed cotton?).

You can use one of those punch kit things to fit eye holes for tie-down pegs - I don't recommend that you buy the eye kits from Bunnings as they are a low grade Chinese metal, you can get good quality eyelet kits from most camping stores (eg Tent City or BBQ's Galore) ,

Phil
AnswerID: 564910

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 06:15

Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 06:15
Geez Phil ! You lovely wife is gunna be a very busy vegemite hemming the edges on all the annex floors at Copeton !!! [SweatShopWink] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 564911

Reply By: Wadefarers - Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 19:55

Friday, Sep 10, 2004 at 19:55
Jan We bought ours from Clark Rubber. It was wide enough but it was heavy duty rubbery type stuff - (funny that coming from a rubber place - Anthony type smile)and probably somewhat expensive at around $100, but it does a real good job. And the service was friendly!! Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 564912

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2004 at 23:54

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2004 at 23:54
On our way Down to Copeton Rally we called in at Camec and complained that we couldn't get a good picture. They then got out their revised set up instructions, and went through that, and what do you know. We now have a reasonably good picture and more stations being picked up. (The old grey matter is not what it used to be.)

On the way home from Copeton we again called into Camec and bought some other accessories, as well as asking a question about double glazed window. The sales staff were not able to locate any details on this and offered to ring us when they found out.
This morning we received a phone call from Karen giving us the information that I required, so we are happy with the service that we received.

AnswerID: 564913

Our Sponsors