LED digital Wall clock

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:27
ThreadID: 121422 Views:3758 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Help please. I would like to install a 12volt LED digital wall clock in the van so that it is clearly visible at night and with numbers about the same size as those in a microwave (about 25mm). The microwave is great when on power, but this is for all those times when we are away from mains power. I know that the radio has one, but for me that requires finding my glasses to read it. One a big bigger would be nice. Does anyone know where to buy one? I have tried Dick Smith, Super Cheap Auto and checked Whitworth Marine on-line but cannot locate any. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:49

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:49
Brian, I have the latest Jaycar Cattledog and nuffin in 12v ..... there is a couple of large LED clocks, one with 50mm high readout ...they are AA battery powered though. They might also not be backlit at night ? I've often thought of mounting a car led dash clock at the bedroom end of the BT with power coming from the light circuit. Mounted in a small electronics box it would look quite neat-ish. It would be very neat surface mounted in one of the bed side cupboard walls and power it via the light switch. Some can even be dimmed. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 564914

Reply By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:52

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:52
Brian,

This reply may now be a bit late, but I bought such a clock today from Jaycar.

It has a 30mm backlit LCD display, together with date, day, and temperature.

Its not a wall clock however, but Pat is sure to find a way to make it wall clock.

The clock lights up when you touch the plastic front screen.
Overall size is 90mm wide, 110mm high, & 60mm deep.

Cost $35.00.

By the way, adjustments have been designed for mere mortals. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or be 12 years old to set it up!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 564915

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 23:42

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 23:42
Neil,
I take it that the numbers don't stay visible in the same manner as your normal 240volt bed side clock /radios do. I was after one that is able to be connected to the van batteries, so that it will stay visible at all times, just like the clock in a microwave or 240volt bedside clock does.

FollowupID: 843893

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Nov 01, 2004 at 07:08

Monday, Nov 01, 2004 at 07:08
Brian,

Now I know what you need, I believe there is a simple solution.

Providing you can find the clock with a LED or LCD display you need in 240v, the fix to use it in your 12v van electrics is relatively simple.

Most electronic devices such as clocks, clock-radios etc run on 5vDC. They have an inbuilt power supply to allow them to run off the 240v mains.

You would need to 'pull the pants off' the clock and measure the operating voltage of the electronics.

You can then buy a suitable DC-DC converter e.g. 12-5v, and connect it between the clock and the 12v van supply.

This is a simple job if you are savvie with a multimeter and a soldering iron. However if you have the manual abilities of most accountants, forget it and have a beer instead

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 564916

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Nov 01, 2004 at 23:16

Monday, Nov 01, 2004 at 23:16
Thanks Neil,
I think I will just keep looking for a while yet, before going down that path. Someone like Cobra Dave should be able to alter one easy enough.

FollowupID: 843894

Our Sponsors