Towing with Auto Transmission

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 02:38
ThreadID: 121426 Views:3860 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 2004 Patrol T.D. 3 litre AUTOMATIC. Can anyone out there advise us as to how big a Bushtracker we could safely tow with this vehicle. We are in the process of designing our new bushtracker, but do not know what the size limit for this vehicle would be. We would love a 16 to 18 footer, but have drawn up provisional plans for a 14 footer in case this is the limit of the Patrol Auto.
We would like full solar (4 panels with 4 batteries) and four water tanks, satellite TV, air conditioning, and a Webasto heater. We have towed a Pop Top Coromal with a 3.5 litre Petrol Pajero quite succesfully, but the Bushtracker full height and Patrol Auto is quite another matter. Any advice/ input will be greatly appreciated.
LOVE the BOGGERS site, can't drag myself away from it.....what an interesting bunch of people. Many Thanks, Keith and Joan.
Email jkf4447@bigpond.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 04:46

Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 04:46
G'day Keith and Joan,
My understanding is that your viehicle is restricted to 2500kgs-not enough for most Bushtrackers unfortunately. Manual version allowed 3200kgs but doesnt help you much. Old site had a listing of many members details including their van wieght although I havent seen it here yet(not that I've looked!) Mates 16ft BT weighs 3000kgs fully loaded for eg, sorry to give bad news.
Regards
Matt
AnswerID: 564918

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 00:42

Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 00:42
I have asked the same question both here and on exploreoz - have a search on both sites. Anthony replied on this site, as always with a wealth of technical knowledge. We are still going with the 18' BT and existing 3 litre, unless we win Lotto and get a new cruiser ute. According to my son, the reason for the low rating on the auto 3 litre is only to do with brakes, and we have electric brakes on the BT anyway. Also need to watch gearbox oil temp - Anthony also had a posting about a temperature guage for that which i would love to get. My son says just get a bigger gearbox. We were also concerned about fuel consumption which increased dramatically when towing the BT, but when i asked, others volunteered their fuel consumption with the different sized towing vehicles, and it was pretty standard.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564919

Our Sponsors