Phone Reception at Copeton ...Not !!!

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 30, 2004 at 06:26
ThreadID: 121453 Views:3977 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,

I'm almost positive whilst at the rally I was the only one with phone reception in the BT's (other than satellite phone) ? This was more by fluke than design ! I made several calls from my bedside table on CDMA ... over the week.

I had the aerial on an extendable pole ... the base of the aerial was about 190 cm above the a-frame. It is a standard co-ax about 5m long that takes various fly leads to suit different phone brands.

If any are interested the details are as follows ...

Aerial is a RFI brand ..model is CD 1795 with 6.5 db Gain .... 824-960 MHz suitable for CDMA and GSM 900. Made in Aust ...I believe.

Cost was about $159 but CobraDave reported that they now have them for $130 ish including delivery.

I purchased mine from ...(no affiliation)

Olbis Communications
1717 Ipswich Rd
Rocklea Bris.
07 3875 1155
www.olbis.com.au

After arriving at Girraween National Park on the way home reception (CDMA) was zilch !!! The ranger explained that the granite mass in the area plays havoc with electronic gear. I also had no sat tv reception ...neither did Tellembugrem (rob) with different brand gear ...go figure !!

Regards
Anthony
BT18
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Sep 30, 2004 at 07:43

Thursday, Sep 30, 2004 at 07:43
We had reception on our CDMA while it was in the car kit, about 20 metres from Anthony's van that came and went, even when the car remained stationary. We received several SMS messages, but when we tried to make a voice call we were not able to connect. We had to drive up near the golf course or the phone boxes near the shop to get voice reception.

Your setup sounds like the way to go Anthony.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564944

Our Sponsors