Forum Enhancement suggestions

Submitted: Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 19:27
ThreadID: 121459 Views:4207 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Let's start a list of suggestions for enhancements.

Please keep this thread for listing suggestions only. Open separate threads for discussion of items, if you wish, but make this thread a concise list of actual suggestions so the managers don't have to trawl through heaps of messages to see what we want.

The managers can then contact the member for clarification if needed.

To start:

A Files area for storing documents, with the ability to organise them into folders.

HTML capacity (for those who like impressing) to change text colour and style.

A chat feature.

Instant "Ring a bell" to a logged on member to complement the Members message system.

Sorting messages so that they appear in latest activity date order (descending) (combination of the two post and response).

Control on a message you submit so that you can choose to be emailed with activity on the thread. And the ability to turn it off.

Please add any more ideas, but as I suggested, please put any discussion in other threads.

Ken and Joan

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 19:29

Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 19:29
Oh yes...

and the ability to:

Edit own messages, and

Delete own messages

Ken
AnswerID: 564958

Reply By: Motley - Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 19:37

Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 19:37
This is a great idea. As I mentioned at Copeton, we know there will be a need for enhancements once the forum activity levels increase and members decide what features improve the value of the forum.

Having worked in the IT industry for 35 years, I know what happens when changes are made on an ad hoc basis. We used to call it "creeping elegance" and it was very costly.

Much better to compilke a list of enhancements, ensure that these enhancements are complementary and that one requirement doesn't conflict with another and then we can get a quote for the update to the site. We have limited funds available for this purpose but I think we can amange a comprehensive update in a few weeks time once more people have had an opportunity to use the site.

My own enhancement would be the option of using a spell checker at the time a message is posted!
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 564959

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 19:46

Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 19:46
And from the other forum,

When a member clicks on a member in the list of current users, show the full profile details to assist in contact.

When you submit a post, two blank lines are reduced to one. This should not happen. But multiple blank lines could go down to two I suppose.

Ken
AnswerID: 564960

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 20:48

Friday, Oct 01, 2004 at 20:48
Is there a way to add a picture to an individual post ? If not ... could we get that facility .... that would enable the pic to be with the relevant text instead of looking through the albums for a specific pic.

An example would be to place a pic of WDH wear when under full design load and what can be done ..repair/prevention etc.

A pic of Griffs broken wheel stud that he suffered on way home ... wobbly wheel syndrome via a rattlegun another example.

This would keep the pic and thread together and help those using the search engine.

Pics should be limited in size (good netiquette) maybe 100k max for posted pics ?

Regards
Anthony

AnswerID: 564961

Follow Up By: Bogger John - Monday, Oct 04, 2004 at 17:45

Monday, Oct 04, 2004 at 17:45
We should avoid putting too much into our messages as many of us when on the road download using a CDMA phone linked to a laptop via a data cable. Download speeds are slow and therefore expensive.

John and Jan
FollowupID: 843911

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:06

Tuesday, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:06
Great to get this list going. Thanks.

Notice when replying to Member Message, the system does not save the reply in any form (I think). Nice to be able to keep for future reference.

Griff
AnswerID: 564962

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 00:56

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 00:56
And under Members List, we need a list of the committee.
(no silly remarks!!)

And somewhere under various subject headings suggested "volunteers" who can give advice, and documents that can show best practice to save repetitive queries.
- like Electrical, Heating, Mechanical, Vehicle, Towing Equipment, tourist information, etc etc.

And of course a Links page.

Ken
AnswerID: 564963

Reply By: Oldperc - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 16:30

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 16:30
And could we add...

A number of message board (to group messages and responses) as we had on the old site viz.
Trips Planned
Trip Reports
Hints and Tips
Pictures (already available)
BOG Rally 2005...........
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 564964

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 23:51

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 at 23:51
And

A Survey capability. - Post a question and have yes/no/don't know counters with linked comments that can be anonymous.

Ken
AnswerID: 564965

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 22:38

Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 22:38
Copied from Jay's thread (and replies from Anthony) - he is on the road so probably couldn't find this one.

Jay,

Your stuff between start/end ...

Start
1. We need to be able to turn off the feature that sends us an email everytime there is a posting to a thread we started. It is clogging my in box.
End

People on the road might prefer most times to grab replies via mail rather than via web browser ..then use browser at net cafes etc. So obviously you mean on an individual basis via "my profile" or similar ....not a blanket turn off. Sounds good to me but might be hard to implement ?

Start
2. Chat feature
End

I'm neutral on this one ...the old chat room was not used all that often. If changes cost ... leave this til last ?

Start
3. Ability to choose text fonts, color, and utilize emoticons.
End

First two good for emphasis .... and third might tell us the members emotional state ? [smile] Do we need that ? [smile] Signed ...Depressed !

Start
4. Eliminate pics of each "poster's" rig - those are graphics which take a long time to load. Those of us "on the road" are linking through mobile phones and the time it takes to load the graphics is wasted money.
End

Cant browsers be switched to text only !!! I know you're in love with my rig and cant stand looking at it anymore !! [GreenSmirkySmile]

I'm easy either way !

Start
5. It seems when you post a reply in the private forum and it is completed you are sent back to the public forum - at least that has happened to me. Again, on a mobile phone to then have to reload the private forum is a waste of time and money.
End

Sensible option but maybe not easy to do ... once again the site administrator needs to advise here.

Regards
Anthony

AnswerID: 564966

Our Sponsors