KAYAK. What is best type and size

Submitted: Monday, Oct 11, 2004 at 20:07
ThreadID: 121498 Views:4921 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I noticed in an earlier thread that Jan & Graham had or maybe still have sea Kayaks, but the search didn't bring up any others with them. I know Conrad & Nisa have them also.

We are thinking about buying some Kayaks for pleasure use mostly on the Noosa River and I am having trouble working out what is the best type to get.

A friend up here who had a 2 person Kayak said that he would recommend 2 singles over a double, because often 2 people cannot get into the same rythem on the paddles and it causes problems with steering, and when only 1 person wants to go out, then the doubles are harder to manage with only 1 person aboard.

We looked at some that are manufactured at Kawana Waters on the Sunshine Coast . The one that they recommend is constructed from Polyethylene, 2.7 metres long, 760mm wide and weighs 18.5kg. It has a load carrying capacity of 130kg so it could keep me afloat OK. It is shaped a bit like a surf board ot ski with recessed section for backside and feet, and has 2 storage lockers.

Their 2 person model is 3.8metres by 860mm, weighs 29kg and supports 250kg.

Has anyone with experience in Kayaking got any recommendations on the best type and size of Kayak to buy, for general pleasure use and a bit of early morning exercise.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: F Troop - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 02:50

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 02:50
Hi Brian
A real quick reply as I am almost out of $2 coins for this wonderful internet machine. Yes we still have our kayaks. I would always recomend 2 kayaks instead of one as it saves a lot of money in the divorce courts. We always seemed to argue on a 2 person canoe (got one of those as well). I believe that sea kayaks are the best as they have a rudder which is priceless. Some of the sit on top type of kayaks do not have a rudder which makes your paddling very hard work. The sit on tops and the little bass kayaks are also what I would refer to as slugs in the water. They are not meant to do any decent distance. The sea kayaks are much mor satisfying to paddle and you can go for miles in them (in choppy waters too). Bill (cherbillies) has a Hobie Kayak which I have promised myself I will try one day as it has a foot peddling arrangement like the old hire peddle boats. It apparently gets along very well and also has a rudder. Whoever you get one from, see if you can take it for a test paddle first as they are all vastly different. Alternately, hire one on a Sunday arvo from the local beach. It's a truely wonderful way to sneak up on the fish as they dont hear you coming. Ring me if you need to discuss it more.
Jan
AnswerID: 565073

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 04:43

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 04:43
Hi Brian,
In a previous life (just prior to London) I had grown into a pretty speccy sea kayak after a few years of paddling various machines. Definately from what Bill said at Copeton the HobieCat thingo is worth a look. From my experience though a double is too heavy, too big and too a lot of other things as well. If you are afraid of someone not keeping up then a good bit of safety equipment ie, a tow rope, can help them out. (Another skill to practise of course.) Another consideration is that unless you are going into waves or choppy waters I would suggest an open canoe. With a nice big flat bottom they can be very stable and user friendly. By this I am thinking that you are not constrained to using just what you have strapped to your torso (as well as the lifejacket) or on the deck in front of you.
It is well worth hiring a couple of sea kayaks hopefully with a little bit of beginners instruction though first of all. They can be huge fun and with the right skill level you can handle some amazingly rough conditions. My personal opinion on type is to go for the moulded plastic boats. Fibreglass is cheaper and lighter. It just sucks when they break and rocks, doing spectacular end on end capsizes, and dropping them when trying to get them up on the roof racks after a day's paddling breaks them. Plastic lives on.
Wishing you all the best,
Ivan.
AnswerID: 565074

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 15:31

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 15:31
We also went 2 sea kayaks. We were debating but very happy we went 2.
2 is shorter on the roof and means you can go paddling alone with no issues. It also allows us to get around some logs etc in the creeks which is where we enjoy exploring.
It also allows me to be a bit more adventurous e.g. out the mounth of a inlet to sea throguh the surf and trying to get that bit further and getting stuck enough to fall out.
We went wavedance kayaks. Cheaper mould i.e. not the finish of the better ones but light (18kg) for a 150 kg capacity kayak. Cost us $700 each in the end with all the bits from a caravan show special.
We have a photo under my photos. Jenny's is the magenta one of course.
AnswerID: 565075

Reply By: Bato - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 19:34

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 19:34
Hi Brian & Margaret,

Keith and I have many years experience with racing Kayaks, ie. K1 and K2 boats, we have also paddled TK 1 TK 2 boats. ( touring class )
The most important aspect in buying your Kayak is to ensure that the leg length is comfortable ie. not straight legs but some knee bend otherwise you will finish up with sore legs and aching backs.
We agree with Flippnlorry's comments that the sea Kayak would be best for just cruisin.
As for using a double, I always put Keith in the back because I thought I was a better paddler (wink) and it kept the peace.
You can see fellars I know my place.
Cya
Sue and Keith
Bato Keith & Susan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565076

Reply By: Bato - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 19:38

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 19:38
Correction Brian & Margaret

We agree with FTROOPS comments not Flippnlorrys

Keith & Sue
Bato Keith & Susan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565077

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Oct 15, 2004 at 04:09

Friday, Oct 15, 2004 at 04:09
We have had lots of e-mails and phone calls about this subject. Lots of BT owners also like to sit on their Kayaks.
We have tried Conrad and Niza's Kayaks and found them to be very good, and had Doug Slatter who is currently in USA give us the dealer he went to on Sunshine Coast, so we went there today on our way home.

Tomorrow we are going back to try out a couple that they have on display.
They are both sit on types with moulded seats and back support rests..

The first is a Dagger "Cayman" 375cms long, by 72.5 cm wide, and weighs 22kg.

The other one is 445 cms long, 70cm wide, and weighs 23kg, and give plenty of scope for overweight riders with a max weight of 193kgs. This one also has a adjustable foot rests and retractable rudder. This is the preferred one at this stage so we are keen to try them both tomorrow at Mooloolaba.

I would just like to thank everyone for their assistance and comments.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565078

Our Sponsors