best style of awning

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 03:59
ThreadID: 121500 Views:4580 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
we would like to seek your advice on the best style of awning
b t seem to like awnings with legs that can be pinned to the ground this is terrific once your at a camp site but restrictive if you only want to stay for a long lunch or overnight we had a demo of this style by aussie traveller at the rosehill show earlier this year

the arm down the side of the van type seem vunerable when in tight situations & arms restrictive to people movements but are quick to erect

aussie traveller make both types & recommend both for 4 wd & caravans your feedback is appreciated

thanks s& d
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 05:12

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 05:12
About 95% of BTi caravan owners have the Aussie Traveller Coolibah type that completely fold up into box section and have support bars to keep the awning tight. The big advantage of these is that they are able to withsand strong winds, and have nothing hanging down the side of the van while travelling through the bush. I know that I had of had bars down the side, that they would have been ripped off in some of our bushbashing trips.

When you get an awning, make sure you get one with powder coated poles.

They don't take long to put up and down when you get used to them, so overnight use is not a problem. No many people with a BT would put them up for a lunch stop.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565082

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:39

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:39
Hi Stephen and Deborah,
We opted for the roll out awning by AT (arms down side). Reasons for this:
# we live in the NT and canvas is a no goer for the Wet season here. Even if it is dry when rolled up the damp gets in and you end up with the measles! Even the annexes here are 90% made of vinyl.
# ease of erection and rollup. We spend a lot of weekend time in the BT where we need the shade of the awning without the hassle. I am a vertically challenged female and I have no trouble when on my own. This is important to us as hubby is often off bushwalking and I am responsible for babysitting the BT and dog. Have had sudden wind storms come thru and been able to roll up awning on my own in minutes flat.
# re blowing away value: we NEVER put awning out without ropes and anti flap kit or storm rafter. If wind is that bad it is going to take any brand, type awning and as above I reckon we can roll ours up much quicker than others.
# have also had shadecloth walls made in 4 pieces so we can completely enclose or shade/privacy one end or side.
Pictures of our awning in photo album under At Last we can begin jaunting.
Prue
AnswerID: 565083

Our Sponsors