4WD Training

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 06:39
ThreadID: 121501 Views:5711 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Jackie and I have just completed Vic Widman's (GreatDivideTours) two-day training course. If I was forced to choose one word to describe the experience I would choose "fantastic"!

We arrived on Tuesday late afternoon and setup the BT for the night. All very clean and modern facilities are provided as well as electricity for the BT.

Day One - Wednesday - was centered around the towing vehicle, in our case an F250 fully loaded with a boat on top! We climbed hills and went down hills I didn't believe possible. Everything was done in the various 4WD ranges so that we could experience the differences between high and low range, and then we did it again with the rear lockers. The lockers definitely made a difference in traction; however, if you do not have them I would not let that be the deciding factor in doing the course.

Day One also included lunch and dinner (steak and sausages).

Day Two - Thursday - was towing the BT day! At 21' with an extended drawbar and an F250 we were the longest and highest rig to tackle their hills. Dave, Vic's brother-in-law couldn't do enough to make the experience as safe and sane experience. Aside from being very knowledgeable in all aspects of 4WDrving, he very expertly modified the course to suit the size of our rig.

A freeway wasn't constructed! Just enough room so that we could with a minimum or backing to get around the turn do it safely. He didn't eliminate the challenges; he made them safe for our size rig.

The Effie in low range and first gear climbed the hills with the BT without a problem.

Eventually we arrived at a large field where we practiced/fine tuned our backing skills into tight caravan bays like might be encountered in a caravan park.

Then it was back to base camp for lunch (breakfast had been served too!).

After lunch we headed for the sand. We definitely learned the difference between driving with mountain inflated tires (I had reduced the tires to 40 fronts and 50 rears). Half way across the sand we had almost buried the exhaust pipe. Deflation to 20psi on all tires, driving back and forward a few inches at a time until we created a runway, and off we went across the rest of the training area and back to the other side without a problem.

The course officially ended at the sand area and that night we camped just a few hundred meters from the sand. It was beautiful!

Ladies: Jackie did almost all of the driving that I did and rightly earned her competency certificate too.

Guys: Many of you have had a lot of experience driving your 4WDs all over Australia including thousands of Ks in the desert and on the corrugations. I do not know; however I doubt that many of you have put your vehicles through the types of terrains and over the rocks that you will encounter during the course.

If this interests you, guess what?

Vic is going to provide a BOG mid-week training special. Even though the cost is going up to $450 per rig for two persons including all training and meals, the BOG special will be $400 per rig/two persons, during the week (Tuesday/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday) and there needs to be a minimum of 3/maximum of 4 BTs to setup the course.

If what I have written interests you (see posted pictures), get together with your mates and put together 3/4 BTs and contact Vic Widman at 02 9913 1395 or email him at vwidma1@bigpond.net.au. Check out his website www.4wd.net.au.

Happy trainings and travels!

Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 06:49

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 06:49
Hi Jay,

Sounds like a lot of fun and great experience. Would have an interest in doing the course, depending on dates,

Phil
AnswerID: 565084

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:18

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:18
Jay, thanks for the feedback. Glad you and Jak enjoyed the experience and also that it wasn't just aimed at the fellas. Something for us to look at for future days. I was looking for the photos but cannot find them. Where have you hidden them?

Angie
AnswerID: 565085

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:55

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:55
Just a couple of questions Jay.

When you were doing the off road bit with the BT on the back, did they get you to remove the weight distribution equipment?

Did you tow the van through the soft sand?

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565086

Reply By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 16:56

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 16:56
Phil, the dates are up to you! Put together a group of 3 Boggers and pick your own dates.

Angie, photos still need to be posted. Have to do that at a cafe.

Brian, we did not "diet" Big Red! Also, we definitely did not attempt to tow through soft sand with the BT. It was enough work just getting the Effie through the area.

Jay
AnswerID: 565087

Reply By: Bato - Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 19:11

Wednesday, Oct 13, 2004 at 19:11
G'day Jay & Jackie
It sounds like a really great training course.We would both be very interested in completing the two days in the very near future.Thanks for the info.We will keep in touch with other Boggers and try to arrange 2 others or more for next year some time.
Cya Keith & Sue.
Bato Keith & Susan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565088

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 19:54

Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 19:54
BTW, those with smaller vehicles will be able to complete many more exercises than we accomplished because you have a smaller wheel base. We wanted to find our limitations with and without the BT and we did!

Jay
AnswerID: 565089

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 03:27

Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 03:27
Pics now posted.

Jay
AnswerID: 565090

Follow Up By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 20:31

Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 20:31
Nice pics Jay and Jak. Doesn't look so tough, bet Jackie did it with her eyes closed! LOL.

Angie
FollowupID: 843957

Our Sponsors