BT Van electrical connectio to towing vehicle

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 07:07
ThreadID: 121507 Views:5039 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have had no end of trouble with the heavy duty male and female connection to our Landy 100 TDiesel.
First we had to replace the Toyotas coupling in Kargorlie because it fell off, then the Van's coupling kept pushing in one of the pins on the Landy so that we had no braking contact.

Finally we had to replace the Landys connecxtion with a Utilux female to match the Vans Utilux.

Not having used the Van for 6 months, come next trip and corrosion set in the Vans connector and once again we had no breaking in the van!!

Now it is difficult to get a Utilux because they have been bought out!!

What is the solution to keep both ends pristine over a storage period so that every time we have a perfect braking connection. All the other lights work well!!

Hoping for a practical advice

Falcon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 07:14

Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 07:14
I occasionally spray both the car and van plugs with WD40 and have had no problems - but maybe that is just good luck, so will look forward to seeing other comments.

Phil
AnswerID: 565106

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 19:35

Thursday, Oct 14, 2004 at 19:35
The accelerated corrosion was first described by NomadUsR (Ernie) and is now called the Nomad Syndrome !!

Most male sockets on the BT carry a charge wire to the batteries so this wire is always "live" in the socket. This gives rise to electrolysis in the presence of moisture.

Pins being pushed back into the housing is usually a fault of no lubrication on the pin itself. High friction on the pin and its corresponding socket then forces the pin over the plastic shoulder and pin recedes into the socket. Phil's tip of a squirt of lube should solve the problem and as a side effect control the electrolysis markedly.

The aluminium plugs and sockets verses the plastic versions are more robust but obviously more susceptible to electrolytic corrosion.

If you are not using the charge wire in the male plug I would snip it off just where it goes in to the plug terminal and cover with heat shrink. This will stop the electrolysis from a current being present via the wire.
If needed in the future it can be reconnected .... you should have enough room in the plug to take the wire out ...cover with heat shrink and turn it back on itself slightly (and not snip off) and reassemble.

My next connectors will be ...(best currently available- used on semi trailers with suzi coils)

Narva Heavy Duty Trailer Connectors.

For BT end ...7 Pin heavy duty, round metal plug with Internal weatherbeater seal and rubber boot. 40 amp cont. per pole rating.
Part No 83193

For vehicle end ..7 Pin heavy duty round metal trailer socket 40amp cont. with rubber boot. Die cast housing is self grounded.(pin1)
Part No 82094

Their blurb ....

Heavy duty plugs and sockets meet AS 4735-2003 for heavy duty connectors. Made in the USA , rated to 40amp continuous and 70 amp peak and will accept wire from 4-8sq mm.
The terminals inside are the connectors are electroplated solid brass to ensure minimal voltage drop and protection against corrosion. The plugs feature a special weatherbeater internal seal to prevent water ingress and a spring guard to provide extra cable protection near the plug.

Look up the numbers for a piccy at ...

www.narva.com.au

Regards
Anthony

FollowupID: 843967

Follow Up By:- Friday, Oct 15, 2004 at 18:02

Friday, Oct 15, 2004 at 18:02
Sorry folks ! In all the rush I stuffed the the plug number !!

It reads 83193 for the BT end ....it SHOULD read ...82194 for the plug with the spring guard or 82193 for the plug without the spring if you want to use that one.

Sorry if I misled anyone ...I do apologise !!! Thanks Phil (Flipp'nlorry) for pointing it out ...you can keep me on my toes anytime ! It keeps the info correct.

Regards
Anthony
FollowupID: 843968

Our Sponsors