Four Seasons Hatch

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 03:27
ThreadID: 121513 Views:8713 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Anyone ever looked real close at the screens on the four sides of the four seasons hatch? Ever noticed how there are gaps/spaces between the rubber frames and the plastic hatch?

Ever noticed that at night it is a perfect place for all of the small midges and moths to enter you home in search of the light shinning through the gaps?

We did the other night when all of a sudden we realized that our light was covered with the flying pests and a search revealed a steady stream of the pests coming in through the gaps.

As a temporary fix I have used electricians tape to plug the gaps.

Wrote to BTi to determine a more permanent fix - like new screens that fit properly!

If all the hatches are as poorly constructed than perhaps a permanent fix will be to silicone all of the gaps.

Thourghts?

Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 03:59

Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 03:59
I'm not scared of moths !! hahahahahaha !!!! [smile]

Although ..grasshoppers give me the scaries !!! Not Taipans ...just grasshoppers !!

I'll check my hatch out for grasshopper sized gaps ?

Regards
Anthony
AnswerID: 565119

Reply By: Rockgoc - Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 21:26

Saturday, Oct 16, 2004 at 21:26
Jay we noticed as well as the gaps there at the corners, a cut through the screen to let the small arm like thingies through which hold up the flap on the hatch when it's at full open mode. Maybe we are just plain too complacent because we thought "Ah well, this is how they make these things, so we have to accept it."
When we are in a place where the bugs are really bad, we tend to close down all the windows and the hatch and just have the fan on. I know this will not be your cup of tea so to speak, but this is the downside of the Australian outback at certain times of the year and there will always be something to spoil Nirvana!
Cheers from The Gocs
AnswerID: 565120

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:22

Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:22
Jay,
I think you will find that most Four Seasons Hatches, have small gaps between the rubber seal and the frame. That is the way they are made and when they are the only company making them, there isn't much choice for caravan manufacturers but to use them. We haven't noticed bugs coming into our van through there though. Most bugs seem to be so small that they can wriggle and squeeze through the fly wire screens of the windows or hatch. On looking at it, the silicone idea may be the way to go.

Welcome to the outback, the home of flys, bugs and all kinds of insects, and more & more flys , bugs and all kinds of insects.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565121

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 21:19

Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 21:19
yuk yuk yuk

:-) = emoticon
AnswerID: 565122

Reply By: Cobradave - Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 01:47

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 01:47
My solution has 2 purposes, one to insulate against heat loss from inside and the other to keep the bugs out. Use a piece of 30mm or so thick, 650 x 650 mm foam which will sit neatly on the lower ledge of the hatch frame.
AnswerID: 565123

Follow Up By: Oldperc - Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 16:47

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 16:47
David
Three purposes:
(iii) We also use it to prevent possible dust ingress via the hatch.
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843973

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 20:54

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 20:54
When we met some other Bushtrackers in Litchfield National Park, they advised us to get some foam for in the hatch area to prevent dust entry while travelling on the Gibb River Road, so we bought some in Darwin that was 10mm larger then the opening size, that way it stays firmly in place.

After travelling the dusty roads we didn't have any dust on the foam so may be our van is a better seal than some of the others.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843974

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2004 at 03:14

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2004 at 03:14
Hi

Re bug entry at night with lights on in the van. We have sieves on all opeings and in spite of every efort to keep bugs out we failed. When we have finished with all the activities that reqire bright lights we use candles. Works OK. Bugs commit suicide and the light given off by the candle flame is surprisingly good. We sit for hours in the soft light in a relatively insect free environment

Vidas
AnswerID: 565124

Reply By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2004 at 21:37

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2004 at 21:37
BTi response was to send me back to Camec and I will visit them next month. In the meantime the electrical tape on all the edges has eliminated the bug problem.

My guess from this thread is that all of the screens fit poorly - great piece of technology!

Probably the permanent answer re bugs is some silicone aronund the screens to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the suggstion regarding the foam to keep out dust.

Off to the foam store (smiling shopper).

Jay
AnswerID: 565125

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 at 10:11

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 at 10:11
Hi all,
Not only gaps round 4 season hatch but have a close look at your screen door.... lots of room round there for bugs (and even grasshoppers) to enter. I often burn a mozzie coil or hang bunch of lavendar just outside and this helps deter unwanted guests.
Prue
AnswerID: 565126

Our Sponsors