Turbo Timer

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 04:11
ThreadID: 121516 Views:5008 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
For anyone interested in prolonging the life of their turboed engine:
I have just purchased and easily installed a simple 1,3 or 5 minute delay device as small as box of matches for $80. It's called "Turbo Timer 1224"
I only needed to locate a live wire on ignition at the switch plus a +ve and -ve to battery.
The live wire does not interfere with the Landcruiser central locking/imobilizer logic so I can switch the engine off, press the remote control which imobilizes the starter and centrally locks the doors, then walk away while the turbo timer counts down to engine shutdown.
No more waiting for the turbo to cool down when I arrive somewhere.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 05:19

Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 05:19
I had one fitted to our 100 series and now have one on the F250. The manufacturers say that we don't need them, but I don't think it hurts to let things cool down a bit, especially after some hard towing with the van on. I usually have ours on 1 minute for vehicle only and 3 minutes with van in tow. Ours has a button that you can push to have turbo timer on or off.

You just have to be aware though that it is an offence to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running, even if it hasn't got a key in the ignition, so don't walk away if there is a policeman in site.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565135

Reply By: Cobradave - Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 05:46

Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 05:46
Forgot to mention that this one also has an on/off override button.
AnswerID: 565136

Follow Up By:- Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 06:28

Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 06:28
Brian,

I hate to be the bearer of techy stuff but ....

The Cruiser of Dave's which has its turbo cooled by water AND oil can be shutdown earlier than the F250's because it cools quicker than turbo that is only oil cooled ..as in the F250's.

Gauges and temps in a real world aside ... the F250 owners manual quotes ...

To prolong engine life (after extended high speed or maximum GVM operation), it is recommended that a hot engine be allowed to operate at a low idle for about 7-10 minutes which would allow sufficient time for the turbocharged engine to cool down.

My testing of raised engine and turbo temps coming back operating temperature after 100k runs or BT towing bear this out thats for sure.

Each to his own though as the only downside is shortened engine and turbocharger life.

Regards
Anthony

FollowupID: 843975

Reply By: Swanwood - Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:36

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:36
David,

Where did you purchase your 'Turbo Timer'.

Regards, Ian
Ian & Cheryl

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565137

Reply By: Cobradave - Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:45

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:45
I bought it at Repco, they seem to be selling like hot cakes. I used it a few times today and it works perfectly.

AnswerID: 565138

Our Sponsors