Lightning Ridge

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 17, 2004 at 21:48
ThreadID: 121518 Views:3697 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Too cold in the Blue Mountains to head south - we are going North!!

Dubbo and Lightning Ridge - Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 20:53

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 20:53
G' day luvn

Warrumbungle National Park located between Gulargambone and Coonabarabran is good. Nice place to bike ride as well.

Wellington caves are ok for a look. If there is water in Burrendong dam it might make a good camp.

Dubbo zoo and gaol are good.

There are some road side spots between Bubbo and the Ridge where u can camp overnight

For more wild west type opal fields have a look at Gravin and Glengary located about 50km south west of Lightning Ridge. A few years back it was pretty wild here.

Stay well

Vidas

AnswerID: 565139

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 22:17

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 22:17
If you are heading out to Lightening Ridge then I think you had better go fairly soon or you will be saying that it is tooooo Blooody Hot!!!! out there. There is a nice Thermal pool just a few ks out of town, and the houses/humpies around town are interesting to say the least. Make sure you have Jackies' credit card safely hidden away or she will be carrying some luggage in the form of opals when you leave. Margaret got her opal from there, not game to go back or she might want to buy more opals.

I dare say though it won't be long before you find yourselves heading back to the coast again.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565140

Follow Up By:- Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 22:59

Monday, Oct 18, 2004 at 22:59
Gulargambone ....that brings back memories !! Cindy and I once took blood from over 200 head of cattle in one day ...on a property there. Looking for TB and Brucellosis ... blood was taken from vein in base of tail underside ..a crappy job so to speak !!

Backed that up next day or so at Trangie Research Station and did 250 sheep from vein in neck .... I held'em the boss took the blood !! I ponged (and felt) like a ram for days after !!!

Vehicle and camping then was a Holden Gemini ...a tent ... and an esky ! Camped in the Dubbo Van Park .... ah, the simple life !! [smile]

Anthony

FollowupID: 843976

Our Sponsors