Internet Banking

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 19, 2004 at 21:20
ThreadID: 121522 Views:4338 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Recently did some banking at an internet cafe. Apparently there was a "trojan horse" in the computer and my key strokes were copied and forwarded "somewhere". Result: my ANZ account was accessed online and $2000+ was removed!

Beware!!

I have made a police report, prepared a statutory declaration, and turned the matter over to the ANZ fraud department. They are going to reimburse me for the monies fraudulently taken.

Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2004 at 22:30

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2004 at 22:30
I think the safest way to do Internet banking is via your own computer or Lap Top. I have heard reports of this happening before at Internet Cafes, but never to anyone we know. Good to know that ANZ are going to reimburse you.

What town was your Internet Cafe in that you used?
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565148

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:48

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:48
Those Trojans seem to find their way onto computers depsite security measures. I was running my virus scan one night while i was doing internet banking, when the programme stalled, then the computer rattled away downloading something. I shut down, but when i got the computer going again, the virus scan picked it up as a virus and named it, but i couldn't find it on any virus list. When it kept bouncing back i had to get professional help - he thought my scan had disabled it, and it must have been a trojan. I would also be reluctant to do banking at an internet cafe after hearing about a young mother who downloaded a free programme which tracked everything on the family computer - even passwords her children were using. Anyone could have these. Thanks for the warning - i hope you get your money back easily - don't most banks fight you for a while when things like this happen?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565149

Reply By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 at 23:48

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 at 23:48
The incident happened in Katoomba.

ANZ was most emphatic that I would be reimbursed for all charges and funds misappropriated. There was absolutely no issue about the reimbursement.

Jay
AnswerID: 565150

Our Sponsors