Beware - Snake Season is Here !

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 at 18:56
ThreadID: 121525 Views:8644 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
For those out and about .....

There is a very good resource at the website below for snake bite and anti-venom recommendations. This wont bother most people but also on the site is the latest method for a Pressure Bandage which will save a life in the event of snake bite et al... even the Inland Taipan....well ..give a time frame to get help/anti-venom at least.

For those not familiar with a pressure bandage for snake bite the method is described well and is worth printing out and keeping a copy in the BT or vehicle.

There is also a great guide for when you USE a pressure bandage and you DONT !

For instance ... (might be worth a print out as well)

You DONT for Redbacks and other spiders but you DO for Funnel Web.
You DONT for Scorpions you DO for snakes.

One major point is not to wash/clean the snake bite area as a Snake Venom Identification Kit is used to swab the area to identify the snake and give the right anti-venom.

On average for the 3 yrs up to 2003 ...900 people per year in rural NSW were seen at Emergency Departments for bites and stings. (Source: Emergency Dept Data Collection)

Quite a good resource have a tour around ....

http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/Pi.htm

Regards
Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Oct 21, 2004 at 05:31

Thursday, Oct 21, 2004 at 05:31
Indeed a timely reminder Anthony.
I can personally confirm that they are on the move most dramatically. I very nearly stepped on a Taipan when I opened a screen door onto the front verandah at two in the morning. I was half asleep as you can appreciate but suddenly I was wide awake with the biggest adrenalin rush for many a year. He heard the door open and went straight into the strike position. This movement made me notice him, luckily for me. Taipans are known for their aggressiveness. I don't interfere with snakes in the bush but when they come near the house they are dealt with. I did this with the 410 loaded with rice pellets which I keep handy. Kay has all sorts of plants in pots growing around the verandahs and they are a haven for frogs and I guess he was after a meal. I had great difficulty in getting back to sleep so handled a few odd jobs I'd been neglecting lately..........then went to sleep. Kay was wide awake from the gunshot.

Australia has the worlds most dangerous snakes and spiders and don't ever forget it.
Nothing can upset a household more than a snake which has dissappeared in the house.

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER WALK WITH UNCOVERED LEGS AND FEET AT NIGHT WITHOUT NOT KNOWING WHERE YOUR TOOTIES WILL LAND AND DON'T EVER EVER BE TEMPTED.

Experts say long daks and shoes are all that is needed to protect you from a potentially lethal bite.

A few simple precautions and eternal vigilence is all that is needed to remain safe. Our country is a wonderfully exciting place and snakes ans spiders and crocodiles all are part of this.

Ernie
AnswerID: 565156

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Oct 21, 2004 at 18:49

Thursday, Oct 21, 2004 at 18:49
Ernie,
And what were you doing half asleep going out onto the verandah at two in the morning. {smile}
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843979

Our Sponsors