Roper Bar To Cape Crawford Road

Submitted: Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 19:01
ThreadID: 121533 Views:4477 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a 2 month circuit next year and need some advice from you fellow Boggers.
Intended route is Sydney, Bourke, Currawinya N/P, Quilpie, Bedourie, Boulia (across the Plenty), Alice Springs, Cape Crawford, Borroloola, Wollogorang, Burketown, Lawn Hill N/P then meander home to Sydney.
Maps show 2 routes for Alice to Cape Crawford. 1) Mataranka - Roper Bar - Cape Crawford, 2) Daly Waters - Cape Crawford.
We notice some maps show road between Roper Bar and Cape Crawford to be unsuitable for vans, if this is the case then maybe 2) is the way to go.
Could some fellow Boggers give us some advice on this road.
All replies gratefully received.
Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bogger John - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 19:02

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 19:02
Test reply
AnswerID: 565182

Reply By: Motley - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 19:56

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 19:56
We drove from daly waters throgh Cape Crawford, then on through Borroloola and Wollogorang and hells gate last year.

Absolutely no problems towing a 20' BT. It's a great trip and knowing what I know now, would allow some more time.

Regarding getting in to Lawn Hill, consider going through Bowthorn Station and staying at Kingfisher camp. beautiful camp. Buy a net and catch youself some Red Claw and Cherubin. make sure you stop at the station house for smoko with kerry McGinnis.

Have a look at this web site - Bowthorn Station

Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565183

Follow Up By: Maverick 2567 - Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 17:21

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 17:21
Thanks Motley,
We will look at going via Bowthorn Station.
FollowupID: 843999

Reply By: Oldperc - Saturday, Oct 30, 2004 at 06:09

Saturday, Oct 30, 2004 at 06:09
Rick and Leone
If you have the time we would recommend going to Mataranka (just south) and traveling to Borroloola via Roper Bar. It's a magneficant trip and no problems. Our 20BT and LC travelled well this year May/June and that was just after the late rain.
As Motley mentioned leave more time than less.
We got hold of a copy of Les Hiddens 'Bushtucker Man' book and found it excellent for details of what to expect and side trips. Well worth it.
Also the best spot we found where you could spend a couple of days swimming and resting is Butterfly Springs just south of the Nathan River Ranger Stn.
You don't have to go to Cape Crawford as not much there unless you want to fly over the place. We took the turn to Borroloola 44 klm north of Cape Crawford.

We actually found the road from Borroloola to Managoora turn off the worst but it depends when the grader went through. The year before, this bit was OK!!
Don't forget to take a rod, heaps of barra.
You'll enjoy.
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 565184

Follow Up By: Oldperc - Saturday, Oct 30, 2004 at 06:11

Saturday, Oct 30, 2004 at 06:11
PS
That's a pic of us at Roper Bar Store after some rain and dust to cover.
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844000

Follow Up By: Maverick 2567 - Monday, Nov 01, 2004 at 17:18

Monday, Nov 01, 2004 at 17:18
David,
Thanks for the info.
Looks like we'll take the Roper Bar -Cape Crawford Rd. wth a stop
off at Butterfly Springs (had heard about these springs, so will include). Then we,ll do the Bowthorn Station/Kingfisher Camp detour as Motley
suggested.
Thanks Guys!
Rick
FollowupID: 844001

Our Sponsors