TELEMARKETING AND OTHER TIME WASTERS

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 00:57
ThreadID: 121538 Views:11106 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all,
The link below will perportably remove your phone number and postal address from all telemarketing and other modern social blood pressure generators. I've tried it and will see what happens.

http://www.adma.com.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=1999

Cheers
Ernie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 01:27

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 01:27
Ernie,
Speaking as a former telemarketer I believe you are shooting yourself in the foot.
You are effectively denying yourself opportunity. Telemarketing whether you like it or not is a cheaper way of advertising and some of the products sold are in fact cheaper.
Regards
macka
AnswerID: 565197

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:06

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:06
We all have a cross to bear macka and there is no way of justifying unsolicted crap can excuse such despicable behaviour. Internet spamming has been legally banned for a very good reason and in no way differs from telemarketing.
If I want to find a cheaper product I will do it myself thanks very much .
If I've shot myself in the foot it sure don't feel like it. Don't you realise people are not answering their phones particularly at night because of this harrasment.
Gimme a break macka.
FollowupID: 844014

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:17

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:17
Hey Ernie,

I have a silent number so get very few ...but when I do ..I usually say ..

"Before we start can I have your home phone number as you have mine ..then we can continue"

Mostly get silence for a few seconds ..or ... I'm not able to divulge my personal information ...

I then just say ... "Initiating Shutdown Sequence" ...Click !!!!!

They always seem to ring as I place a great dinner down for my family .... the kids dont feel like eating til I'm back at the table. Mostly let the answering machine get dinner time calls now because of telemarketing.

Anthony
FollowupID: 844015

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:42

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:42
Yeah Anthony there are more ways than one to skin a cat. When on the road I divert my home number to my mobile which is charged to me.
No wonder a man gets angry arrrrgghhhhh
Cheers
Ernie [with a disparing look]
FollowupID: 844016

Reply By: Cobradave - Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:44

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:44
Hey Ernie,
Didn't you have a rice pellet solution for such creatures of the night ?
AnswerID: 565198

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:49

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:49
David it is said the pen is mightier than the sword...........................maybe!!!!!!!

FollowupID: 844017

Reply By: Cobradave - Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:51

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:51
Or is the shottie mightier than the creature ?
AnswerID: 565199

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:05

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:05
You're right David, the shottie and joe blakes and telemarketers would make a good combination.
FollowupID: 844018

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:41

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:41
Reminds me of the old joke ...

What's black and tan and looks good on an teenage Optus house caller ?

A Dobermann !!!

Anthony ( DesexedGrin)

FollowupID: 844019

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 20:34

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 20:34
Good one guys. I know the industry is not well liked simply because of lack of training and business ethics but if you pay peanuts you always gets monkeys. And remmember most of the calls made are totally at random. The reason we call at dinnertime is because we presume you are at home.
Regards
macka
FollowupID: 844020

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 20:47

Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 at 20:47
Macka , I am being harrassed by foreigner monkeys who barely speak English. The last bloke I threatened to reach into the phone a grab his throat just to shut him up. I guess it's not the callers fault but the money men behind them. In this case it's the Heart Institute. Ironic I suppose but it's a fair chance they'll cause a few heart attacks while raising money for the very thing the're trying to prevent.

Must admit haven't had a call since and up to then was getting one every night. Random you say? not in my case methinks.

Cheers
Ernie

FollowupID: 844021

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Oct 28, 2004 at 10:10

Thursday, Oct 28, 2004 at 10:10
Does it work on the overseas (India or whereever) call centres? Every time i take a day to have at home to do BAS or something urgent, i forget and answer the phone. Often nothing for a while but sounds like its a call coming across the bottom of the ocean. Then if i've foolishly hung on, i get an voice with an accent which would be understandable if the reception was clear, but not when its coming across the bottom of the ocean. I'll just have to educate family and friends not already familiar with the rules - leave a message - i won't pick up until i'm sure it's not a call centre trying to flog me something i don't want or can't afford.

Flustered Chook
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 565200

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Oct 28, 2004 at 13:42

Thursday, Oct 28, 2004 at 13:42
Hello to the Queen of the chookyard and fellow sufferer.

I don't know if it will work but give it a go and it costs nothing. I think they are now trying new dirty tricks. Last night while waiting to get into a theatre I got one with a recorded voice. As for buying something I don't need or can't afford it would take a mighty effort from someone to make me.

Then again my wife reckons I'm like all men and would fall for a good pitch from the fairer gender...................who knows?
Cheers
Ernie (why is it women know everything a man thinks?...it just aint fair!!!!!)
FollowupID: 844022

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:42

Friday, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:42
Hi Ernie - Well after forgetting NEVER to answer the phone on the rare day i have at home during the week - and getting that distant voice from India too soon after breakfast, i took your advice. It said it could take up to 6 weeks to activate. I wonder if it will get to India. I stopped only phone marketing - I don't mind the occasional direct marketing brochures in the mail. Most of the mail i get is unaddressed junk mail - unfortunately i see a forest of trees go into the bin outside the post office each morning. This too can be stopped by requested no junk mail at local post office, but that screens out all the unaddressed mail; community newletters, shire information newsletters etc.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 565201

Follow Up By:- Friday, Nov 05, 2004 at 15:08

Friday, Nov 05, 2004 at 15:08
Motherhen all mine have stopped since I did the deed. I'm not sure if it is that which did the trick or my threat to inflict a squeaky voice on the caller via my arm down the phone line. I did have one more call while waiting in line to get into a theatre. It was a recording.
So far so good....I've almost regained my composure as a hoprfully rational person.
cheers
Ernie
FollowupID: 844023

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:01

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:01
Home again today - and i forgot to NOT answer the phone. One hung up on the answering machine so probably a call centre, the other i picked up, an Australian voice. I suppose the 6 weeks isn't quite up yet. Gee i'm glad i haven't been home for the past 5 weeks!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 565202

Our Sponsors