Dunny Chemicals.....AGAIN!

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 at 21:52
ThreadID: 121556 Views:4920 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. We have just started trialing a home made mix of chemical for the Thetford, consisting of 1 cup Pine O Clean, 1 Cup Cloudy Ammonia, 1 cup Borax, to 5 litres of water. I got this recipe from somewhere on the Caravanners Forum I think, but now I can't find it again to ask another question regarding it. The query is....how much do you place in the cleaned out tank? I thought it was around a cupful, and we then added 2 litres of water to that in order for the solids to be covered. This seemed to get quite smelly fairly quickly even though we are in cold country at the moment, so I have now just placed 2 litres of the mix into the tank...have NOT added water at all, and will see how this goes. Can anyone else add any advice to this post for us please? Any of you using this mix? One person in the Caravanners forum swears by it adding that they have been using it for years, but as I can't find that post again, I can't directly ask them. The search facility on the new website is not very successful for me I'm afraid.
Cheers from The Gocs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 at 22:38

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 at 22:38
Jan and Easy,

Here is the relevant part of the post ...there was only this reference to how much you use ....I searched the whole thread.

Start
Mix one cup of borax thoroughly with a litre of warm water , then add one litre of Pine-o-Clean and one litre of Cloudy Ammonia. You have a little over three litres of mixture which you use as you would the green stuff you pay an arm and a leg for. ($14 for a one litre bottle last time I bought some.}
End

It says use as per green stuff .... I love a technical reply ...Use it the same as the green stuff mate !!! (smile)

I tried the new Premium Green at Copeton and it was ...well ...ok ! But after consultation with the boss Cindy wants to go back to the blue formaldehyde mixture for cassette dumps at home .... they go into sewage dump point I had installed.

Will save the green for enviro-friendly biodumps ...

Regards
Anthony

AnswerID: 565249

Follow Up By: TripnTaps - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 at 22:58

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 at 22:58
So Anthony.... if this is the recipie for the bottom tank would one use plain pine-o-clean mix for the top tank or maybe Domestos mix? Guess as Jan said it is a case of experimenting which what pongs or not!!!!

The price for these chemicals vary so much - regional NE Vic - 1 litre bottle of 'green' now $19.95 (no larger quantities sold) Noosa in May $14.95 and at Camec, Sydney last month $9.95 ... nice little mark up eh!

Cheers,

Helen
FollowupID: 844055

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 07:54

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 07:54
So Anthony, how much Formaldehyde do you put in?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844056

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 09:08

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 09:08
Helen,

I dont know about pine-o-clean or domestos ? It might work ?? Top tank additive might have a special chemical in it to allow for slide !!?? Grin !

Number two's has a fair fat content and sticks to the bowl ! The Aquakem pink top tank additive seems to be great for coating the bowl before pilot to bombardier ..open bomb hatch !!! Smile

It seems to be quite econonomical in its dilution in the top tank ?

Motherhen,

I dont use the above recipe for my additive ...I just Cc'ed it from the vanners forum for Jan ! The formaldehyde I was referring to is the Aquakem Blue bottom tank additive with the formaldehyde already in ...

Not very biotoilet friendly ... a more than usual chemical smell as against a floral smell .... but it works well !!!

Regards
Anthony

FollowupID: 844057

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 18:53

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 18:53
Anthony.....thanks once again for all your trouble. I have obviously got the recipe very wrong....but it's posted as how I mixed it, so maybe they had keyboard errors. I will now go and re mix it and see how it works.
Cheers from the Gocs
FollowupID: 844058

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 14:52

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 14:52
All portable dunny users,

Bio Magic, P.O. Box 262 Deception Bay, Qld. 4508 (Ph.1800 888 205) produces a clear, odourless product @ $ 25 per litre [ Application 50ml/20l top & bottom tank - 20 uses per litre @ $1.25 per use] - environmentally friendly, can go into septic tanks, and long drops. First time users should double the first dosage to overcome other chemical residues.

Coast to Coast RV Services, 32 Station St., Dundas, NSW 2117 (ph. (02) 9684 1434 Fx 9684 2401) produces a blue product that has a Pine-o-clean type smell, @ $45 per 5 litres. [ Application 200ml/20l tank top and bottom- 5 uses per litre @ $1.80 per use). It is claimed to have no formaldehyde and is biodegradable.

I'm not so sure of this one as, after only one use, I have a leak coming from the air valve (when carrying the tank in upright position), and, will have to replace the "O" ring.

I think I'll stick with the Biomagic in both tanks.

Hope this will help.........cheers.............Rob
AnswerID: 565250

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 17:40

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 17:40
Hello Rob, we tried Biomagic as did some other BOGers. I must say I got the "ripped off" feeling and found it completey useless. You must have a special technique which has eluded me....perhaps a Thetford friendly diet (smile). We are now using AquaKem Blue Premium. I understand it performs similar to the Green version but has a longer tank life. Both these don't contain formaldehyde according to the recipe. I paid $20 for a 2 litre bottle. I have a septic system at home and have emptied into this with no problems. I think it is only a matter of time before formaldehyde will be restricted and why use it when there are effective alternatives. The home made versions may work but personally I couldn't be bothered(lazy animal).

bombs away
Ernie
FollowupID: 844059

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 20:03

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2004 at 20:03
I trialled BioMagic as well. In the BT I was less than impressed and was told a new cassette might be required because of contamination from previous chemicals. I washed and washed the thing before trial. Tried it for 2 trips and the boss said "Get that outta there it aint workin buddy !!" I had to agree with her ....

We trialled it also at the Surgery ...as a odour eater and pong cover-up from blood and/or faeces in the animals hair around the rear end or even the surgical hair line...as recommended by the importer. It needed frequent application ..lasting sometimes only 30 minutes before problem was back. It seemed to cover up not fix the problem.

Cindy went back to traditional methods after only one week and still has 3.5 litres in the cupboard.

It does seem to work for some ....I'd suggest to buy the smallest quantity you can and give it go .....

Regards
Anthony
FollowupID: 844060

Reply By: SuziTracker - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2004 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2004 at 01:00
I have always bought my toilet chemicals from Big W, and have purchase some today and they are still $9.97 each. Big W is all over australia, just look in the camping section.

Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 565251

Our Sponsors